moving emails between folders

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
anyone know how to move your emails between folders? this is really irritating me! i accidently deleted an email and can not figure out how to get it out of my trash folder and back into my inbox!! help please!!

Nothing2Lose

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Click the top of your screen where it says inbox, click show all labels, then click trash. Select the email you want then click the change labels icon on the bottom left. Check inbox. It should be back to your inbox now

Reactions: tweedledee1969

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Gmail doesn't use folders, it uses labels. It's a subtle difference but a significant one. The concept of folders is that an email can only reside in one folder at a time. Yes, you can copy an email to another folder but now there are two copies to manage.

WIth labels, on the other hand, an email can have as many labels as you want. It can be labeled "trash" and "inbox" at the same time. Much more flexible.

Reactions: tweedledee1969
Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
i am using an exchange account. i don't use my gmail account. i guess that would have been some info i should have put in the first post! thank you for all the help

fed123

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Gmail doesn't use folders, it uses labels. It's a subtle difference but a significant one. The concept of folders is that an email can only reside in one folder at a time. Yes, you can copy an email to another folder but now there are two copies to manage.

WIth labels, on the other hand, an email can have as many labels as you want. It can be labeled "trash" and "inbox" at the same time. Much more flexible.

True, but there is still only one copy of the email.

jwilander

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. Accidentally deleted a message and can't get it back to my inbox. When you click on the check mark beside the email, there is no folder option. There is delete, mark read/unread, and star. I've attached a picture of what my email looks like.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Last edited:

wots69

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Guys, I am also having a very similar problem re selecting multiple emails and wanting to 'bulk' move them to another folder. If you look at the screenshot of my Galaxy Note 2, there is at times an icon in which you can do this, but at most times this does not appear? I know how to move them one by one, which is to open each individual email and select 'move' from the menu options. I have tried every conceivable thing to have the 'move' icon re-appear on the top menu where the 'compose' and 'refresh' icon or the 'trash' and 'mark as read' icon reside but to no avail.

If you can figure this out you are a genius! Thanks...

Screenshots_2012_12_15_09_30_16.png
[/url] picture hosting[/IMG]

theonlyschmidty

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I have an Android 9.7" tablet and there is no "move" option anywhere to be found on my screen. Not even in the tools drop down menu. Has anyone figured this out yet?

Melodi Barnes

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
You have to go into each individual email which is annoying, but then you just click on the word "trash" or the name of whatever folder your email is in that you want to move, and then you click which folder you want it to be in.

Screenshots attached

Screenshot_2014-07-15-18-44-25.jpgScreenshot_2014-07-15-18-44-33.jpg

Last edited:

Sgooter

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
IF you have more than one email account on your phone, then you first have to select a specific email account inbox - not the Combined Inbox; then select All Folders, then select the Trash folder, then find the email you want to move and select it. A check mark should now appear for that selected email and at the bottom border of your display there should now appear a folder-looking icon with an arrow on it; select that folder and it will give you the option to move your selected email to your Inbox or leave it in that account's Trash folder. IF you are not seeing the folder-looking icon at the bottom of your display, then you are probably still working with your Combined Inbox versus a specific email account inbox.

pkiff

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Melodi for your clear instructions with the helpful image. I think there may be differences in the method depending on which version of Android mail you are using, but Melodi's instructions helped me.

Rajesh Kumar40

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Melody thanks. What you have mentioned worked the last time. I went to each mail and moved it to a desired folder. But now while I move, it disappears from both sending and receiving folders. Can you please help

Sixpack337

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
Hello all,
I was having trouble with this and none of the above advice would work for me or the screen options weren't the same.
I learned I had to set up the phone to use the IMAP protocol for these features to work on my phone.
Couldn't do the moving to another folder with POP, apparently. (on the phone at least?? sorry not super technical here)
So I looked up the IMAP mail settings for my IP, got those into my phone, now I can see the same folder arrangement
as shows on my computer and move emails to those other folders.
Just noting what worked for me in case anyone else runs into this and doesn't think of using IMAP instead of POP.
Hope this helps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000