Why is it taking so long to transfer files?

xintensex

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I am trying to transfer a 600 mb file and its saying 20 hours?? I did a search and I didnt see anything? Is my phone defective ? Running Win 7 64 USB Ports are 2.0 Using Official Samsung Drivers??

zulu308

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I have transferred three movies, over 1.2gb large, ~20 mins last night.

I, too, have win 7, USB 2.0 (should of gotten 3.0 when I was ordering this laptop).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I do things wirelessly... Your wifi router will be faster than USB. There are apps what make your storage available through your home network and you just transfer files using any web browser.

DavePDX

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I initially had extremely long file transfer times. I did a lot of forum reading and someone suggested installing PDANet as it had a more recent driver for Windows. I run Win7-64. I downloaded an installed PDANet v. 3.02 on my GNex and I also installed the 64-bit version installer for my Win7 machine. Doing this in itself made the transfers radically faster via drag and drop with Explorer. I didn't use PDANet for the transfers. I also did not make a record of the Win-7 driver version installed by PDANet and I didn't make any transfer time measurements. It produced perfectly acceptable transfer times though.

Since then I got an Windows 7 update notice for an updated driver for the "Samsung Android ADB Interface" and I installed it. It works fine as well. The currently installed driver version is 2.9.310.1125.

I just transferred and timed the transfer of a 2.5 GByte file from my PC to the GNex. It took 8 minutes and 33 seconds. I hope this helps.

dre4402

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Thnx one of the reasons i like sd cards just rooted my nex it took like hrs to restore crap to internal storage especially wiping n flashing roms is there a cloud option

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Thnx one of the reasons i like sd cards just rooted my nex it took like hrs to restore crap to internal storage especially wiping n flashing roms is there a cloud option

I've had worse luck with transferring files to a microSD card. I think it could be a USB Driver issue as mentioned before.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to transfer a 600 mb file and its saying 20 hours?? I did a search and I didnt see anything? Is my phone defective ? Running Win 7 64 USB Ports are 2.0 Using Official Samsung Drivers??

That sounds about normal for the beginning transfer time. Each time I have transferred a number of files I seem to get a ridiculously high amount of time to transfer at the beginning. But, there once it starts it decreases significantly.

DavePDX

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
so no cloud or pda net is the way to go

If you are mentioning PdaNet because of my message above I think I should clarify something. Upon re-reading what I wrote earlier I see that I was not precise. I *think* that I only really needed to install the Windows 64-bit PdaNet application on my desktop computer in order to get an adequate driver that provided much faster file transfer times. I transferred all my files using Windows Explorer - not PdaNet. I did install Pdanet on my GNex because I used it several times in the past on my OG Droid and it was handy to have in a couple of situations but installing it on the GNex probably wasn't necessary to get the faster file transfers to occur. It was probably the default Windows 7 driver that was causing the slow file transfers.

wwjdpilot

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Turn on USB Debugging.

My transfer time for a 1.24 GB movie dropped from about 1 hour (initial time shown) to 8 minutes (initial time shown). The actual transfer time was just under 4 minutes.

Significant improvement...:D

boscharun

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
For transferring files b/w android phone and any other device, Wifi is the fastest. Bluetooth and USB give lower speeds due to hardware limitations on the phone especially the memory card.

To transfer via Wifi, what is needed is to create a hotspot and a server hosting the file(s) to be shared so other devices can connect to the hotspot, go to the server url and download files as needed. It would have been easier if android supported wifi direct to connect directly to any device wia wifi, but unfortunately it doesn't (http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...tethering-android-phone-via-wifi-hotspot.html)

But still, you can use apps like fast file transfer that makes the whole wifi android file transfer as easy as just a few taps.

chadfranklin47

Dec 3, 2017
Visit site
When using Windows Explorer, going into task manager, right click Windows Explorer, go to details, and set priority to realtime seems to speed it up 10 fold.

No Thanks1

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
If you are mentioning PdaNet because of my message above I think I should clarify something. Upon re-reading what I wrote earlier I see that I was not precise. I *think* that I only really needed to install the Windows 64-bit PdaNet application on my desktop computer in order to get an adequate driver that provided much faster file transfer times. I transferred all my files using Windows Explorer - not PdaNet. I did install Pdanet on my GNex because I used it several times in the past on my OG Droid and it was handy to have in a couple of situations but installing it on the GNex probably wasn't necessary to get the faster file transfers to occur. It was probably the default Windows 7 driver that was causing the slow file transfers.

Thank you so much! That seemed to fix the problem, whatever driver the program installed. It called itself Samsung USB driver, but the driver is signed by the developer of the PDANET program so it must be custom. It solved the issue though. I've never had that problem with Samsung.

MADDROID1

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Could be worse. I did the Windows 7-10 upgrade as soon as it was available and, after 2 hours the screen went black and my laptop never worked again!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX