Android OS killing battery

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
My experience with the Thunderbolt battery issues is that the battery screen doesn't account for all power usage. It may give some clues, particularly when you see a rogue app in the list, but I don't think it actually monitors the power usage of the radios.

For instance, when I had WiFi enabled without being near one of my networks, the WiFi radio would suck battery at two to three times the normal rate while searching for a connection. If I disabled WiFi, the phone returned to sipping battery. However, this extra battery guzzling by the WiFi radio never showed up in the battery screen.

Likewise, sometimes when I was deep inside a building, the LTE/CDMA radio would go nuts and start drawing tons of power. The phone would get uncomfortably hot in my pocket. Yet I still didn't see a difference in the percentages on the battery screen.

I think the battery screen is really a record of what the processor has been doing; which apps its been running and so forth. While this will generally correlate to the battery usage, particularly when the phone is actively used, I don't think it's very accurate for a lightly used phone where most of the battery is consumed by the radios.

What I think is valuable on the battery screen is the graph, particularly the large graph where it shows when you had WiFi on, when you had a good or bad signal, when the screen was on, and when the phone was awake. This is were you will see the best correlation between battery consumption and your usage.

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Also, the percentages have to add up to 100%. If you unplugged the phone and let it sit all day without using it, then nearly 100% of the usage would be shown as being consumed by the OS. So if you haven't been using processor intensive apps, then it's not surprising that most of the battery would be consumed by the screen and OS.

Remember, things like the web browser are consuming battery only when you are scrolling or loading a page. When you are just staring at a static screen while reading the page, it's the screen that consuming the power, not the web browser.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Having the OS as the principal battery user is not necessarily troubling, as rcpa points out. What is troubling is if the OS is responsible for a huge amount of awake time. This could reflect the "battery bug" that Android Central and other have reported on, where the OS is not letting the phone sleep for some reason.

Look at the detail on the Android OS entry - if the "awake" time there is close to the "on battery" number on the main screen, then you are experiencing the bug. Look around the forum, there are a number of suggestions for dealing with it until the OS is updated (like disabling or restricting background data on various apps).

TMFGO45

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I just checked my stats. Currently I'm just at 4.5 hours battery time, and my Android OS "keep awake" time is at 3.5 hours. Perhaps I just can't put my phone down, but let's say maybe I have the bug you are referring to. Is there a fix already, or are we hoping 4.0.3 holds the fix?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
There is no fix. Just work-arounds/boot-strap fixes.

Check the big chart (click the battery discharge graph on the main battery stats page). If the "awake" time is much greater than the "Screen on" time, then something other than usage is to blame for the awake time.

wheezy276

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
There is no fix. Just work-arounds/boot-strap fixes.

Check the big chart (click the battery discharge graph on the main battery stats page). If the "awake" time is much greater than the "Screen on" time, then something other than usage is to blame for the awake time.

Bugless Beast 4.0.3 here, I too am having this problem.

On 3g, 3h 14m on battery, Android OS is #1 @ 39%, Keep Awake 3h 20m..

Any ideas what else gives? I have NOTHING else on for radios or even recent apps..

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I have had this issue since Day 1 on stock ROM's and on custom ROM's. I guess I'm just use to seeing really load Android OS on other phones. Looking at the graph I noticed that my awake time matches up almost perfectly with my screen time so I don' think anything is amiss.

HawaiianLaker

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Some say its certain apps that dont let ICS go to sleep, apps like Google+ and Beautiful Widgets, I uninstalled both and yesterday I had 11 hours running and still had 40% battery left and Android OS was only awake for 1.5 hours... I cant say that this IS for sure the problem but it worked for me.

davesax36

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok. I think I've got the bug...
Screen on time is 52 minutes. That's kinda way off I think.

a6f9c821-8f2f-76c8.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Some say its certain apps that dont let ICS go to sleep, apps like Google+ and Beautiful Widgets, I uninstalled both and yesterday I had 11 hours running and still had 40% battery left and Android OS was only awake for 1.5 hours... I cant say that this IS for sure the problem but it worked for me.

Did you use Google+ when it was installed?

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site

Uninstalled or disabled?