There?s something happening here?

orlanka

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
What it is ain’t exactly clear but I feel like there are a lot of people posting against the Nexus and I am wondering why?

• Do you not have one and you’re trying to validate your reasons for not? By knocking it, do you feel better about not having it?
  • Do you have a Nexus that you are unhappy with? If that is the case, then use this space to look for constructive ways to make changes. If those steps aren’t working for you, you have about 5 more days to return it.

The point is, why the negativity? We knew the phone wasn’t going to be the bleeding edge device that would be top dog for the next 6 months. We knew there would be components of this phone that didn’t match up or exceed other existing or rumored phones. We knew all of this, despite the hype, as soon as they (Google and Samsung) announced it.

I am one that appreciates the opinions of others, but when they become bickering or their intent is to blatantly spew hate at something, it’s no longer appreciated. Use the forums as a way to try and improve your experience or post changes you have made that may improve it for someone else. If you’re that unhappy of a person that coming into forums and tearing down other devices makes you feel better, then maybe the help you need is more on a professional level.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree with everything you said except about being bleeding edge. It was always advertised as or hyped as Verizon's flagship device.

Not by Verizon it wasn't. That goes to the Razr. Look at the differences in commercials. Yeah Verizon is advertising it, but they are mainly advertising it as a strictly social device (Circles in Google+). The Razr they are advertising as being so powerful that it's only for those that can handle it.

If anything, the opposite is true. While I still believe that ICS is the perfect version for "newbies" to jump into, this phone may not be for everyone given software wise it is bleeding edge and there are still some minute things here and there that may need to be tweaked. For me it really isn't a big deal as I'm used to early adopter "issues" (even though nothing with this phone has been an issue for me so far), but to some people the most minute problems or issues may be like mountains to them.

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I agree with everything you said except about being bleeding edge. It was always advertised as or hyped as Verizon's flagship device.

Surely not by VZW. They barely acknowledge it in their stores. Every corporate owned kiosk I've been to, it's buried on the side next to the DInc 2 and the Pantech LTE phone ....

Droid Razr is VZW's flagship Android device.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree, and I think the part most forget with the Nexus line is these are developers devices or at least that is what they were originally sold as. They are the Pure Google experience. I bought my NS4G on the idea of no bloatware, no carrier or manufacture doctored UI overlays or control over the look of the OS. This was my first draw to these devices, the options like a big megapixel camera and other goodies found on the the normal non Nexus devices were second.

It has a capable camera, not the best but it works. We have all agreed time and time again you want to take great pics or video carry one of the many affordable pocket cameras/video recorders. Even the better hardware phones still have their drawbacks compared to an affordable point and shoot.

Memory, people complain about 16gb, 32gb and now were seeing 64 gb talked about as not being enough... This will never end you just have to learn file management and keep up with housecleaning of your device as I call it.. We also have services like Drop Box and others to help offset memory limitations on the go.

Overall the GN seems to operate and function as advertised but is not without its few bugs just like any device. Remember were only a month into this, I wouldn't be suprised to see more of these little bugs addressed by Google or Sammy in the coming months with updates and what is left behind will be cleaned up by the devs and custom ROMs/kernels.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I think those that love their Nexus (i.e. me) are too busy using it to post about how great it is. :)

I stalked this forum for months before the phone came out. Now that I have it I'm too happy with the phone to come here and wade through the complaints. This forum is a great tool if I have a question or I'm trying to work though an issue.

Reactions: ManBearPig618

Shimmy

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I think those that love their Nexus (i.e. me) are too busy using it to post about how great it is. :)
^
What he said.

Of course there are problems with it, mine reboots at times, but I'm not on here complaining about it. Coming from an OG Droid, this is light years beyond it and I can hardly put it down.

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Wasn't that a Steven Stills song back when he was in the Buffalo Springfield with Neil Young and Jim Messina and Rich Furay?
I've had mine 6 days and so far it rocks, and I liked my former HTC Incredible a lot. The screen is scary good. The new browser is a piece of cake. I like the Gallery look. The whole thing just looks like a million bucks, even the calendar (which is usually pretty utilitarian on phones). I don't seem to have any of the other issues others are griping about. Having been on several other phone forums the following ALWAYS get threads started when a new phone comes out: Battery life: if I had a dime for every gripe about this and "where can I get an extended battery?" I'd be rich. It's not the arrow it's the indian. It always quiets down after awhile. Signal strenth gets some play as well, but seeing as how this is most people's first shot at 4G it makes sense. The OS stuff comes up too, not as much.
Most threads on new phones in forums are gripe-oriented, just like car forums. The dudes who like the car are out driving it and the dudes with the lemons are home posting!

Reactions: orlanka

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
This phone isn't even a month old yet. Two months from now, I think the perception will be totally different with the huge dev community.
Also, most people that don't have any major issues aren't posting here. So, of course the overall perception is that most people are complaining.

kil187

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I personally like reading about the issues (read: complaints) others are having, it helps me make a more informed decision when considering the GN or another phone. I am currently 6 months past my contract and earnestly looking for a new phone and the criticisms are welcome on any device I look at.

If you don't like the complaints or don't have any issues with your phone stay out "driving" your device while the rest "complain" about the "lemons" they received.

Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one, and I like digging though the $hit. So to speak, lol.

orlanka

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I personally like reading about the issues (read: complaints) others are having, it helps me make a more informed decision when considering the GN or another phone. I am currently 6 months past my contract and earnestly looking for a new phone and the criticisms are welcome on any device I look at.

If you don't like the complaints or don't have any issues with your phone stay out "driving" your device while the rest "complain" about the "lemons" they received.

Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one, and I like digging though the $hit. So to speak, lol.

Again, back to what I originally said, there is a difference in how you post your issues or complaints. Don't come in here trying to defecate on the phone because you didn't like the display model. Know what you're talking about, use the phone for a few weeks and then get back to me. I'm not looking for hugs and rainbows, but add value when you come here. As I also stated, the forums are a great way to come in and see how you can make your phone better. So while we're out driving these phones, the forums are a great way to learn how to make them a better ride.

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I agree that it really takes a week or 2 to smoke the thing out. For instance: I'm just getting into the dialer. I think it's very cool with the 3 choices (phone buttons, call history, contacts), it was sort of confusing to find the old calls on my old phone. It took me a few presses. This one works better and looks better. The phone numbers are easy to find, and their email is there and you can txt right from there. When you get a bad phone you notice the noisy timing chain right away.

Oeshi824

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm also still getting used to my Nexus. Its hard to really tell how much I like a phone until after about a month or two using it.

Like just now I realized a bit of lag with my landscape keyboard, also that the phone is so big I can go two thumbs in portrait no problem.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I stalked this forum for months before the phone came out. Now that I have it I'm too happy with the phone to come here and wade through the complaints. This forum is a great tool if I have a question or I'm trying to work though an issue.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm add critical as I am helpful, spend lots of time answering or figuring out anything might know.

I'm waiting for other people to use their phones enough in situations to where their browser refresh issues become an issue to them too.

kil187

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Again, back to what I originally said, there is a difference in how you post your issues or complaints. Don't come in here trying to defecate on the phone because you didn't like the display model. Know what you're talking about, use the phone for a few weeks and then get back to me. I'm not looking for hugs and rainbows, but add value when you come here. As I also stated, the forums are a great way to come in and see how you can make your phone better. So while we're out driving these phones, the forums are a great way to learn how to make them a better ride.

I agree with you and your original post. The line between complaints and legit gripes can and is blurred at times with both sides sometimes attacking each other and no real solution in sight. I like sorting though the fodder because it is funny to read and sometimes informing. We are on the internet where everything is a lie and the truth.

With the car analogy in mind, why would/should I have to make my Ferrari better? I mean, it IS a Ferrari.

This may be the root of a lot of users problems (complainers), they are told it is a stock Ferrari 458 and end up with a stock GT-R. Both are real nice cars, its just one needs some improvements to match the other, and users are pissed to find out those improvements should have been there from the jump.

Enter the mostly anonymous interwebz/forums, where there is no real life consequence to blurting out some dumb $hit. Again, entertaining with no real emotion invested from most and info scattered throughout. Gotta learn to sift through it to get the info you need, you are not gonna change it. The internet amplifies the worst human characteristics because it is for the most part anonymous and there are no real world consequences to your actions, for the most part.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
You and I talked about your phone the other day, and outside of the camera (same 5mp camera that was in my old Nexus One, while the standard these days is at least 8mp), it is a great phone. My beef is how the phone was marketed, and its availability across carriers, or the lack thereof. Even though I do see it displayed more randomly on sites, I see more TV advertising on the Droid RAZR and Galaxy SII than I see of the Galaxy Nexus. They could've easily made this phone available to AT&T and T-Mobile (the latter marketed as a GSM model), but no dice. At least Sprint and US Cellular are both getting it now.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Enter the mostly anonymous interwebz/forums, where there is no real life consequence to blurting out some dumb $hit. Again, entertaining with no real emotion invested from most and info scattered throughout. Gotta learn to sift through it to get the info you need, you are not gonna change it. The internet amplifies the worst human characteristics because it is for the most part anonymous and there are no real world consequences to your actions, for the most part.

So true! In any forum/community, the most volatile discussions always seem to center around religion or politics. Why? You can pretty much see the most extreme of views in those discussions, and all the facts in the world isn't going to convince someone that's stuck in whatever their view or belief is. So, alot of the time, those discussions turn into pissing contest and lose all focus.