GN vs. LG Spectrum

dbermanmd

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
My two and new occurs next month and I am interested in any thoughts you guys might have re: the LG Spectrum and how it might stand up against the GN.

Mind you that I am using it straight up,,, not going to root it, etc. Basically buy it and use it for the next two years.

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight offered.

David

Tiko7523

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
LG spectrum seems like a sick phone but its still on gingerbread and LG isn't exactly amazing with updates.

LG has come a long way tho and has really made better products.

5h4un360

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Phone sounds like a beast but not much a fan of LG's UI. Especially since trying out Stock ICS

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using Tapatalk

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
It's really hard for me to recommend a motorola. Because I love hacking and this encrypted bootloader is a sob. But if you're not looking to root or hack then I would recommend the razr instead of the nexus. The nexus is primarily for hackers imo. The razr and bionic have been good to me and my girl as stock phonrs but are absolutely horrible for hacking . I hear the rezound is pretty sweet too in the signal dept.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Josh515

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't go with LG, I would much rather get the Nexus. Nexus is currently my #1 choice of phone on Verizon even if you're not using it for rooting. Speedy guaranteed updates from Google and vanilla ICS are two huge reasons to get the Nexus. But I did see this picture sent from CES and am really wondering if I should wait, it's extremely tempting!! Need more details though! Ow.ly - image uploaded by @droid_life

lostmarine

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
LG sucks. GN for sure or as stated before Razr. I would even go with the Rezound before I went with an LG. (My Wife has the Revo and she wishes she would have waited to upgrade like I told her too).

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
LG sucks. GN for sure or as stated before Razr. I would even go with the Rezound before I went with an LG. (My Wife has the Revo and she wishes she would have waited to upgrade like I told her too).

Their carrier dictated devices like the Revolution suck. The Spectrum is a repackaged Optimus LTE. I had a G2X, and it was actually a pretty great device. The spectrum, being an Optimus device, shares a lot with it.

lostmarine

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Their carrier dictated devices like the Revolution suck. The Spectrum is a repackaged Optimus LTE. I had a G2X, and it was actually a pretty great device. The spectrum, being an Optimus device, shares a lot with it.

Glad to hear G2X did well for you...

Bottomline LG is slow at OS updates and their UI is decent but I am not a huge fan.

As they say to each their own or something like that.
If it were me I would go with Stock GN over any other device but I hate bloatware and waiting for OS updates.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
the spectrum is just the internals of the rezound in lg casing, nothing special. It will need all of that 1.5ghz processor to push that crappy skin.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
The Spectrum looks like it will be a nice phone, but as many others stated, LG is terribad with updates. I owned an Ally before I got my GN and the Ally had a serious problem with dropping data, worse than some of the GN owners are having. It took LG a rediculous amount of time to fix that problem, and then even longer to upgrade from Eclair to FroYo.

I would also recommend the Nexus.

dbermanmd

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Would like to thank everyone for their time and input.

Looks like the GN unless there is a curve ball thrown between now and mid February.

David

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Radio is different.

And the screen is slightly better.

To answer the OP's question -- I would recommend the Galaxy Nexus. The software and support will be superior. Main reason anyone should get the Spectrum is for the screen. That's about it really.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Blitzdroid

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
if money is an issue, then get the spectrum. You will save $100 or even more depending on any good deals.

As for updates, the average Joe doesn't care about them. My sister doesn't care if she uses android 2.3 forever as long as there is Facebook and a browser.

Opinions in this forum is bias so make sure to ask the same question in the LG forum.

Buy the nexus! :)

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
OP, do a speedtest on the GNex, Razr, Bionic and Rezound while you are in the Verizon store before you make your purchase. You may not be too happy with the results on one of those phones.

siciliano77

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
These replies are actually hilarious. Have any of you seen the screen on the spectrum?? It's better than any other phone on the market... plenty of ppl that saw it at CES have already stated that; one of my friends who saw it at CES personally told me that - and he's a tech geek who has seen almost every display out there. I find it funny that the display isn't #1 on most ppl's lists - you know, it's just that thing you'll be LOOKING AT for the next two years. lol unless there are other obvious caveats, like the phone weighs 5 lbs, or it's purple or something, the display is obviously the #1 criteria on my list when choosing a phone.

And who the hell cares about what version of android it's on, or what skin they're using?! I have a droid x STILL on gingerbread, using go launcher, and even with my single core it's fast as hell. GB is SO easy to customize as far as skins and themes, esp with any good launcher, so to even make a negative comment about the skin on the LG seems stupid.

That said, what does ICS really have to offer that's gonna blow anyone away??? Different icons? lol. to be completely honest a lot of you just sound like GN fanboys, likely because you already bought it on impulse not realizing better phones would be out soon after. It's understandable - ppl like to defend the hardware they own, but the negative comments towards the spectrum sound like childish ad hominem attacks.. "LG sucks".

So think about what actually matters in the real world when choosing - the spectrum's display is better that the GN (visually and as per DPI), the camera is better, the processor is better, it has SD slot/removable storage, it's lighter, and to top it all off it's $100 cheaper! Sorry for the long rant - someone had to be the voice of reason here.....

Reactions: LLcdPH

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance