It really is a 4.65" display

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
hI hear people say that well, it's not really a 4.65" display because there are soft keys and they take up
space on the screen that is unusable. This is a rant that was especially loud by Leo Leport.

I've heard others say that the soft keys are a waste of space and they prefer the hard button keys of their trusty old phone.

Bunk, I say. This is garbage by those that haven't used this phone or haven't used it much.

The entire screen DOES get used when appropriate and the soft keys just bow out and get overlaid.

Try it yourself. Go into Netflix and watch a hidef show. Battle Star Galactica is a good example. When it starts playing it waits for a second and then, boom, it exxpands to full screen and uses every pixel on the screen to play the video. Tap on the screen when it's playing and you'll see the video shrink down and show the back and home buttonns again. Wait a second and it expands to full screen again.

If you don't have Netflix then go into Youtube and play a hidef video. The Christmas one with Mariah Carry is a particularly pleasing one. Same thing. Full screen goodness.

So, for those of you whining about soft keys or not getting to use the whole screen, well, there it is. Stop complaining.

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I see what you're saying, but for me, those two apps account for like 5% of the time I use the device and actually probably much less. I have not even installed Netflix on it yet. I don't care either way though, but the people who get mad about it, this won't change their minds.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Try it on the droid x. Same size phone but with hard keys that don't disappear. The screen is 4.65 and its used when needed to watch video or view photos. I never understood why some were upset with this. If it was 4.65 all the time the phone would be bigger. Right now its the same size of my x but when it counts I get the extra space.

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using Tapatalk

Beyond Fire

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Ppl will always find something to complain about its human nature. Coming from a blackberry bold I have nothing to complain about

Reactions: 2010BmwM3

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I think people just want the option to hide the soft keys when using more then video apps (think games and such).

However, the problem becomes how would you hide the soft keys on apps that require screen interaction (unlike videos and photos which only require you to use your eyes). A couple of solutions:
1) Gesture controls
2) Require games and full screen apps to all have quit/exit options (some currently don't).

But then if you hide the soft keys in-app, then you lose the ability to use the recently used app and back buttons which leaves you at the mercy of the app developers for navigation. Perhaps some prefer this but I certainly don't.

I personally don't think it's a big problem. Even with the soft keys, there's still plenty of screen real estate.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Try it on the droid x. Same size phone but with hard keys that don't disappear. The screen is 4.65 and its used when needed to watch video or view photos. I never understood why some were upset with this. If it was 4.65 all the time the phone would be bigger. Right now its the same size of my x but when it counts I get the extra space.

The droid X is no where near the same size as the galaxy nexus, and its got a 4.3 inch screen, not a 4.65. I used to think the X was a big phone until I got my Gnex, now its just another cute little handheld :)

Well now that I read your post again I'm confused as to the point you are trying to make. Are you trying to say the droid X's screen is comparable to the screen real estate you have on the gnex when the soft keys are present? I can see that side of the argument, but the nexus screen i believe is still slightly wider than the X. I say who cares either way I love the fact that theres no hard keys on the front of this phone, makes it look sexy.

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
This.. I want it to go full screen for games and other apps. Not just two apps that I hardly use. (I use the hell out of Netflix, just not on my smartphone)

The solution is easy, use the 5 finger pinch (or whatever it's called) that the iPad 2 uses to make the buttons come back. Having that chunk of screen be pretty useless for 80-90% of the time makes me a sad panda.

I think people just want the option to hide the soft keys when using more then video apps (think games and such).

However, the problem becomes how would you hide the soft keys on apps that require screen interaction (unlike videos and photos which only require you to use your eyes). A couple of solutions:
1) Gesture controls
2) Require games and full screen apps to all have quit/exit options (some currently don't).

But then if you hide the soft keys in-app, then you lose the ability to use the recently used app and back buttons which leaves you at the mercy of the app developers for navigation. Perhaps some prefer this but I certainly don't.

I personally don't think it's a big problem. Even with the soft keys, there's still plenty of screen real estate.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
It's probably a huge pain in the ass to write every program existing to be able to tap to resize so that we can get out without a home button. personally, I think they should offer the ability to hide the buttons and out a dedicated home button on the side like below that power button.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
The droid X is no where near the same size as the galaxy nexus, and its got a 4.3 inch screen, not a 4.65. I used to think the X was a big phone until I got my Gnex, now its just another cute little handheld :)

Well now that I read your post again I'm confused as to the point you are trying to make. Are you trying to say the droid X's screen is comparable to the screen real estate you have on the gnex when the soft keys are present? I can see that side of the argument, but the nexus screen i believe is still slightly wider than the X. I say who cares either way I love the fact that theres no hard keys on the front of this phone, makes it look sexy.

Lol it was meant to be sarcastic. They both have a 4.3 inch screen until you watch video or look at photos on the nexus. I was getting at the fact they are almost the same size build wise but you can't get the extra screen onto the x with its hard keys.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Lol it was meant to be sarcastic. They both have a 4.3 inch screen until you watch video or look at photos on the nexus. I was getting at the fact they are almost the same size build wise but you can't get the extra screen onto the x with its hard keys.

I thought it was kind of funny..
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
they could have absolutely had soft buttons below the screen. all it takes is a larger touch panel overlay. the capacitive buttons on the HTC, samsung, and other devices are not buttons, they are just coordinates on the touch panel. i dont necessarily mind the on screen buttons, but it just doent make sense at all. it now makes it more complex for app developers and it definitely opens the door for a less cohesive experience. now different apps can have different places to put different buttons on the screen instead of always having the frequently used buttons on the screen.

They also could have put a swipe area below the screen to make buttons appear and disappear on any app. swipe right buttons appear. swipe left to hide them. GENIUS, i know!!!

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Obviously you can tell I have a razr ...and I am not envious whatsoever. I played with a nexus and hated it. It's a tpos as far as hardware is concerned. Enjoy

Whatever you have to tell yourself to get through the day man. If that helps you rationalize/justify your purchase then go for it.....spew your oh so informed decision you came to while "playing" with it.