Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default It really is a 4.65" display

    hI hear people say that well, it's not really a 4.65" display because there are soft keys and they take up
    space on the screen that is unusable. This is a rant that was especially loud by Leo Leport.

    I've heard others say that the soft keys are a waste of space and they prefer the hard button keys of their trusty old phone.

    Bunk, I say. This is garbage by those that haven't used this phone or haven't used it much.

    The entire screen DOES get used when appropriate and the soft keys just bow out and get overlaid.

    Try it yourself. Go into Netflix and watch a hidef show. Battle Star Galactica is a good example. When it starts playing it waits for a second and then, boom, it exxpands to full screen and uses every pixel on the screen to play the video. Tap on the screen when it's playing and you'll see the video shrink down and show the back and home buttonns again. Wait a second and it expands to full screen again.

    If you don't have Netflix then go into Youtube and play a hidef video. The Christmas one with Mariah Carry is a particularly pleasing one. Same thing. Full screen goodness.

    So, for those of you whining about soft keys or not getting to use the whole screen, well, there it is. Stop complaining.
    Thanked by 5:
    Nechasin and 2010BmwM3 like this.
  2. #2  
    tk-093's Avatar

    Posts
    162 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,742 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: It really is a 4.65" display

    I see what you're saying, but for me, those two apps account for like 5% of the time I use the device and actually probably much less. I have not even installed Netflix on it yet. I don't care either way though, but the people who get mad about it, this won't change their minds.
  3. #3  
    delco714's Avatar

    Posts
    474 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Man are you like 2 months behind... Thanks though
    mdmogren likes this.
  4. #4  
    tntdroid's Avatar
    Droiderator

    Posts
    5,672 Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Nexus

    Default

    Try it on the droid x. Same size phone but with hard keys that don't disappear. The screen is 4.65 and its used when needed to watch video or view photos. I never understood why some were upset with this. If it was 4.65 all the time the phone would be bigger. Right now its the same size of my x but when it counts I get the extra space.

    Sent from my GalaxyNexus using Tapatalk
    Thanked by 2:
    Mooem and DancesWithFarts like this.
  5. #5  
    Beyond Fire's Avatar

    Posts
    298 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,578 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP B4 JB/Franco M5

    Default

    Ppl will always find something to complain about its human nature. Coming from a blackberry bold I have nothing to complain about

    Sent from my GalaxyNexus using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    2010BmwM3 and DancesWithFarts like this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: It really is a 4.65" display

    I think people just want the option to hide the soft keys when using more then video apps (think games and such).

    However, the problem becomes how would you hide the soft keys on apps that require screen interaction (unlike videos and photos which only require you to use your eyes). A couple of solutions:
    1) Gesture controls
    2) Require games and full screen apps to all have quit/exit options (some currently don't).

    But then if you hide the soft keys in-app, then you lose the ability to use the recently used app and back buttons which leaves you at the mercy of the app developers for navigation. Perhaps some prefer this but I certainly don't.

    I personally don't think it's a big problem. Even with the soft keys, there's still plenty of screen real estate.
  7. #7  
    Poseign's Avatar
    Mobile Enthusiast

    Posts
    676 Posts
    Global Posts
    692 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB B1/Franco M5

    Default Re: It really is a 4.65" display

    Quote Originally Posted by tntdroid View Post
    Try it on the droid x. Same size phone but with hard keys that don't disappear. The screen is 4.65 and its used when needed to watch video or view photos. I never understood why some were upset with this. If it was 4.65 all the time the phone would be bigger. Right now its the same size of my x but when it counts I get the extra space.

    Sent from my GalaxyNexus using Tapatalk

    The droid X is no where near the same size as the galaxy nexus, and its got a 4.3 inch screen, not a 4.65. I used to think the X was a big phone until I got my Gnex, now its just another cute little handheld

    Well now that I read your post again I'm confused as to the point you are trying to make. Are you trying to say the droid X's screen is comparable to the screen real estate you have on the gnex when the soft keys are present? I can see that side of the argument, but the nexus screen i believe is still slightly wider than the X. I say who cares either way I love the fact that theres no hard keys on the front of this phone, makes it look sexy.
  8. #8  
    tk-093's Avatar

    Posts
    162 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,742 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: It really is a 4.65" display

    This.. I want it to go full screen for games and other apps. Not just two apps that I hardly use. (I use the hell out of Netflix, just not on my smartphone)

    The solution is easy, use the 5 finger pinch (or whatever it's called) that the iPad 2 uses to make the buttons come back. Having that chunk of screen be pretty useless for 80-90% of the time makes me a sad panda.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mooem View Post
    I think people just want the option to hide the soft keys when using more then video apps (think games and such).

    However, the problem becomes how would you hide the soft keys on apps that require screen interaction (unlike videos and photos which only require you to use your eyes). A couple of solutions:
    1) Gesture controls
    2) Require games and full screen apps to all have quit/exit options (some currently don't).

    But then if you hide the soft keys in-app, then you lose the ability to use the recently used app and back buttons which leaves you at the mercy of the app developers for navigation. Perhaps some prefer this but I certainly don't.

    I personally don't think it's a big problem. Even with the soft keys, there's still plenty of screen real estate.
  9. #9  

    Default

    It's probably a huge pain in the *** to write every program existing to be able to tap to resize so that we can get out without a home button. personally, I think they should offer the ability to hide the buttons and out a dedicated home button on the side like below that power button.
  10. #10  
    pauldroidr2d2's Avatar

    Posts
    2,609 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

    Default Re: It really is a 4.65" display

    Quote Originally Posted by delco714 View Post
    Man are you like 2 months behind... Thanks though
    How do you like your Nexus?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: It really is a 4.65" display

    Quote Originally Posted by Beyond Fire View Post
    Ppl will always find something to complain about its human nature.
    Well this is very true. My original post on this thread is complaining about people complaining. So, I'm guilty as charged.
  12. #12  
    pauldroidr2d2's Avatar

    Posts
    2,609 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

    Default Re: It really is a 4.65" display

    Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    Well this is very true. My original post on this thread is complaining about people complaining. So, I'm guilty as charged.
    The sentencing phase will begin on Tuesday. Monday is a national holiday after all.
  13. #13  
    tntdroid's Avatar
    Droiderator

    Posts
    5,672 Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Nexus

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poseign View Post
    The droid X is no where near the same size as the galaxy nexus, and its got a 4.3 inch screen, not a 4.65. I used to think the X was a big phone until I got my Gnex, now its just another cute little handheld

    Well now that I read your post again I'm confused as to the point you are trying to make. Are you trying to say the droid X's screen is comparable to the screen real estate you have on the gnex when the soft keys are present? I can see that side of the argument, but the nexus screen i believe is still slightly wider than the X. I say who cares either way I love the fact that theres no hard keys on the front of this phone, makes it look sexy.
    Lol it was meant to be sarcastic. They both have a 4.3 inch screen until you watch video or look at photos on the nexus. I was getting at the fact they are almost the same size build wise but you can't get the extra screen onto the x with its hard keys.

    Sent from my GalaxyNexus using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
  14. #14  
    pauldroidr2d2's Avatar

    Posts
    2,609 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tntdroid View Post
    Lol it was meant to be sarcastic. They both have a 4.3 inch screen until you watch video or look at photos on the nexus. I was getting at the fact they are almost the same size build wise but you can't get the extra screen onto the x with its hard keys.

    Sent from my GalaxyNexus using Tapatalk

    I thought it was kind of funny..
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air
  15. #15  
    edoublediz's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,145 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

    Default Re: It really is a 4.65" display

    they could have absolutely had soft buttons below the screen. all it takes is a larger touch panel overlay. the capacitive buttons on the HTC, samsung, and other devices are not buttons, they are just coordinates on the touch panel. i dont necessarily mind the on screen buttons, but it just doent make sense at all. it now makes it more complex for app developers and it definitely opens the door for a less cohesive experience. now different apps can have different places to put different buttons on the screen instead of always having the frequently used buttons on the screen.

    They also could have put a swipe area below the screen to make buttons appear and disappear on any app. swipe right buttons appear. swipe left to hide them. GENIUS, i know!!!
  16. #16  
    delco714's Avatar

    Posts
    474 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post
    How do you like your Nexus?
    Obviously you can tell I have a razr ...and I am not envious whatsoever. I played with a nexus and hated it. It's a tpos as far as hardware is concerned. Enjoy
  17. #17  
    pauldroidr2d2's Avatar

    Posts
    2,609 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

    Default Re: It really is a 4.65" display

    Quote Originally Posted by delco714 View Post
    Obviously you can tell I have a razr ...and I am not envious whatsoever. I played with a nexus and hated it. It's a tpos as far as hardware is concerned. Enjoy
    Thank you, I do enjoy it very much.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: It really is a 4.65" display

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooem View Post
    I think people just want the option to hide the soft keys when using more then video apps (think games and such).
    Because 4.3" isn't big enough? Really?
  19. #19  
    STC09's Avatar

    Posts
    525 Posts
    Global Posts
    527 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by delco714 View Post
    Obviously you can tell I have a razr ..
    Not for those using tapatalk.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: It really is a 4.65" display

    Quote Originally Posted by delco714 View Post
    Obviously you can tell I have a razr ...and I am not envious whatsoever. I played with a nexus and hated it. It's a tpos as far as hardware is concerned. Enjoy
    Whatever you have to tell yourself to get through the day man. If that helps you rationalize/justify your purchase then go for it.....spew your oh so informed decision you came to while "playing" with it.
    Thanked by 2:
  21. #21  

    Default Re: It really is a 4.65" display

    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Because 4.3" isn't big enough? Really?
    Well, I'm sure someone (e.g., me) said "Because 4" isn't big enough? Really?" when someone else pitched the idea of doing a 4.3" screen. There's always someone that thinks enough is enough, and there's always someone who thinks the screen just isn't quite big enough (for example, all the people overseas who are flocking to the Samsung Galaxy Note).
  22. #22  
    dzyuba's Avatar

    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

    Default Re: It really is a 4.65" display

    Well the good thing is the actual physical dimension of the screen on this phone is 4.65". If it is being currently utilitized to its maximum potentional isn't as important as the future of this phone.

    Got one of the phones with a 4.3" screen? That's what you're stuck with unless you change phones. However on the Galaxy Nexus, future updates to the Android OS and/or apps could make more frequent use of the entire 4.65" screen. It looks like some of the previous posters have ideas of their own on how this could be accomplished without any new hardware (gestures, multi-finger pinch, etc).

    Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    hI hear people say that well, it's not really a 4.65" display because there are soft keys and they take up
    space on the screen that is unusable. This is a rant that was especially loud by Leo Leport.

    I've heard others say that the soft keys are a waste of space and they prefer the hard button keys of their trusty old phone.

    Bunk, I say. This is garbage by those that haven't used this phone or haven't used it much.

    The entire screen DOES get used when appropriate and the soft keys just bow out and get overlaid.

    Try it yourself. Go into Netflix and watch a hidef show. Battle Star Galactica is a good example. When it starts playing it waits for a second and then, boom, it exxpands to full screen and uses every pixel on the screen to play the video. Tap on the screen when it's playing and you'll see the video shrink down and show the back and home buttonns again. Wait a second and it expands to full screen again.

    If you don't have Netflix then go into Youtube and play a hidef video. The Christmas one with Mariah Carry is a particularly pleasing one. Same thing. Full screen goodness.

    So, for those of you whining about soft keys or not getting to use the whole screen, well, there it is. Stop complaining.
    Last edited by dzyuba; 01-18-2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: typo
  23. #23  
    delco714's Avatar

    Posts
    474 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jafels View Post
    Whatever you have to tell yourself to get through the day man. If that helps you rationalize/justify your purchase then go for it.....spew your oh so informed decision you came to while "playing" with it.
    It wasn't speed or screen, that was great, it was the cheap feel of the phone. That's my opinion and i'm entitled. If you love you're gnex then enjoy it. I personally was looking forward to it and it failed to meet my expectations., to each his own right? There's no onephone for everybody. And thanks for hanging on to my words like a child to make your point.. :\
  24. #24  
    bgapfire's Avatar

    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/ rooted

    Default Re: It really is a 4.65" display

    My .02... The screen is 4.5 inches with the on screen keys and not 4.3 as some have stated.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

    Default Re: It really is a 4.65" display

    I notice that Netflix now takes advantage of the entire screen space like YouTube does. Really makes for better viewing than any non-ICS phone.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions