Gorillaglass this AINT!

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
AC really needs to do a write up about what scratches regular glass and fortified glass and explain the hardness scale to people so these threads can stop. Either that or the response to every person that claims their keys scratched the screen should be YouTube videos of said screen surviving keys. Amazing how clueless some are.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
My og droid with gorilla glass was a mess of scratches by the time I put it to pasture.......only scratches on my gnex are from a large fall and slide down my driveway which resulted in some very small scratches above the speaker. I dont baby it, but I am careful. It seems to be about the same as the old droid to me. Im sure by the time it gets retired it will look like crap....but that will be my fault not the glass.

Reactions: crzycrkr

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
My og droid with gorilla glass was a mess of scratches by the time I put it to pasture.......only scratches on my gnex are from a large fall and slide down my driveway which resulted in some very small scratches above the speaker. I dont baby it, but I am careful. It seems to be about the same as the old droid to me. Im sure by the time it gets retired it will look like crap....but that will be my fault not the glass.

Liar! The OG Droid can not be scratched. Mine got flung from a car doing 100mph, skid two miles on its screen, then got run over by a tank...twice. Not one scratch. This phone sucks, it scratched from me looking at it hard.

Lol, j/k

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
My og droid with gorilla glass was a mess of scratches by the time I put it to pasture.......only scratches on my gnex are from a large fall and slide down my driveway which resulted in some very small scratches above the speaker. I dont baby it, but I am careful.
Doesn't sound like you baby it to me :confused:

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't sound like you baby it to me :confused:
Thats just the reality of owning a phone...no matter how much you try to keep it safe its eventually going to take a fall. I was looking at it at face level, turned, elbow hit car door and gnex went flying. I said I try to baby it but I use the hell out of it....stuffs going to happen.

killroy420

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Thats just the reality of owning a phone...no matter how much you try to keep it safe its eventually going to take a fall. I was looking at it at face level, turned, elbow hit car door and gnex went flying. I said I try to baby it but I use the hell out of it....stuffs going to happen.

I couldn't agree more! I was in Seattle over the weekend and somehow got a few micro scratches on the screen (I think a pair of keys I put in the same pocket did it)...needless to say I have been babying this phone since day one, and these tiny, nearly imperceptible were driving me nuts.

Now fast forward to this morning, I went to grab my phone off my table in the kitchen, and my phone just flew out of my hands like a bar of soap and fell 3 feet face-down onto my tiles. Upon picking it up,I noticed my phone had not just new scratches, but huge cracks spanning the entire bottom portion of the screen plus a huge chunk gone from over the LED light.

Either I am just not used to owning glass screen phones or something is indeed lacking in this screen to shatter so easily. I have owned this phone since launch putting it right out of warranty replacement and now feel like a tool for bout purchasing the insurance our at least a case...I thought it would be more durable than this and that if I babied it, this wouldn't happen...clearly I was wrong

I would also like to mention that my wife owned the Samsung Stratosphere for a about two months as well before a similar fall shattered her screen as well. In her case, however, the entire screen stopped functioning whereas my nexus is still completely functional despite the broken glass. I must say between these two events I have lost a lot of confidence in Samsung's hardware and will probably think twice before buying any more products from them going forward.

On a related note, how much do you guys think a 100% functional nexus with cracked glass could fetch on Ebay?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't agree more! I was in Seattle over the weekend and somehow got a few micro scratches on the screen (I think a pair of keys I put in the same pocket did it)...needless to say I have been babying this phone since day one, and these tiny, nearly imperceptible were driving me nuts.

Now fast forward to this morning, I went to grab my phone off my table in the kitchen, and my phone just flew out of my hands like a bar of soap and fell 3 feet face-down onto my tiles. Upon picking it up,I noticed my phone had not just new scratches, but huge cracks spanning the entire bottom portion of the screen plus a huge chunk gone from over the LED light.

Either I am just not used to owning glass screen phones or something is indeed lacking in this screen to shatter so easily. I have owned this phone since launch putting it right out of warranty replacement and now feel like a tool for bout purchasing the insurance our at least a case...I thought it would be more durable than this and that if I babied it, this wouldn't happen...clearly I was wrong

I would also like to mention that my wife owned the Samsung Stratosphere for a about two months as well before a similar fall shattered her screen as well. In her case, however, the entire screen stopped functioning whereas my nexus is still completely functional despite the broken glass. I must say between these two events I have lost a lot of confidence in Samsung's hardware and will probably think twice before buying any more products from them going forward.

On a related note, how much do you guys think a 100% functional nexus with cracked glass could fetch on Ebay?

You're just not used to owning glass screened phones. It doesn't matter if its regular glass or gorilla glass. If it hits in the right way, it is going to break and no amount of marketing is going to change that.

As for eBay: you could probably get $200-$300 for it. One of the benefits of owning a nexus is that they tend to hold their value, even if they're being sold with broken glass.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

It is just beyond me that some of u guys will pay 300 on contract or 700 retail and be to cheap to put 7 dollar insurance on the phone. Specially if ur running around without a case and screen protector.

From the best android phone PERIOD. Galaxy Nexus.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
It is just beyond me that some of u guys will pay 300 on contract or 700 retail and be to cheap to put 7 dollar insurance on the phone. Specially if ur running around without a case and screen protector.

I agree with this. Before I had an Android phone...my flip phone and smartphone was lost and stolen a total of 3 times in a 6 month period...lol.

Insurance saved me...and I wasnt supposed to get another phone on insurance after third lost/stolen...but Verizon looked out for me.

And without reading the last 13 pages...Gorilla Glass isnt indestructible...lol. One day I will upload what My Droid X1 looks like. As far as the screens on these phones...the bigger size, the way the phone is made probably play a bigger part in how long the screen lasts.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I agree with this. Before I had an Android phone...my flip phone and smartphone was lost and stolen a total of 3 times in a 6 month period...lol.

Insurance saved me...and I wasnt supposed to get another phone on insurance after third lost/stolen...but Verizon looked out for me.

And without reading the last 13 pages...Gorilla Glass isnt indestructible...lol. One day I will upload what My Droid X1 looks like. As far as the screens on these phones...the bigger size, the way the phone is made probably play a bigger part in how long the screen lasts.

I mean one less extra value meal a month from Mcdonalds or skipping two Starbucks trips a month is well worth covering my super expensive smart phone in my eyes lol..

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site

Well, I calculated how much I've saved over all the years of not buying insurance and I've saved over $5,000 over the years. If something should occur I have that wad of cash to cover cost. If screen cracks I'd send back to Samsung, $169 for replacement of I recall correctly.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Well, I calculated how much I've saved over all the years of not buying insurance and I've saved over $5,000 over the years. If something should occur I have that wad of cash to cover cost. If screen cracks I'd send back to Samsung, $169 for replacement of I recall correctly.

How did you come about your calculation? Insurance is 7.00 a month, which equals 84 dollars a year. Even if you had insurance on your phone for 15 years which I doubt because Smartphones that cost a premium havent been out that long it would still only be about 1,260 dollars over a span of 15 years.. So im a little lost at how you came up with 5,000 dollars... Even if you add in 10 deductibles it doesn't hit 5000 bucks.. Heck my car insurance doesnt even hit 5000 until I pay a little over 5 years..

I would say even if some dont like insurance spend 40 or 50 on a good case and screen protector and I doubt they would have a problem with breaking the screen or scratching it. Ive yet to have a screen break. But I understand some people dont like the bulk it adds, so if they dont do either I just dont understand why some come on and make a thread complaining.. Its bound to happen its just when. Its not the Casio G shock phone. Im not bashing anyone just trying to understand the logic.

Last edited:

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Wow, you must have been looking at some incredible coverage and darned expensive insurance plans for your phones if the above calculation is accurate.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I mean one less extra value meal a month from Mcdonalds or skipping two Starbucks trips a month is well worth covering my super expensive smart phone in my eyes lol..

LOL, actually I think you've got that reversed. It is more like two McDonald's value meals and one Starbuck$ trip. :)

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

Even if your math was right (which it's not), your theory is flawed. NOBODY would actually save that "wad of cash." It would be gone. If your in a financial position that $600 for a replacement is no big deal to you, then I would agree that insurance is a waste. But if it would really piss you off or make you cringe, then you should have it.

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Moral of the story. Get over your aversion to screen protectors, there are plenty out there that are totally invisible after you apply them and will prevent the tiny scratches the bug you. Fortified glass or not, scratches can just happen. You can't complain about scratches if you aren't taking proper steps to prevent them.

Also, stop throwing your phones across the kitchen.

Rabble rabble rabble.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Pockets are for lint...get a holster.

Holsters aren't a guaranteed means to going scratch free either. I had a hairline scratch on my Fascinate and it was never dropped or saw a pocket (no screen protector). As said though scratches are a fact of life and are almost inevitable if you actually use the device. If you don't want any damage, mount it in a glass case on your wall somewhere.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae