Cant Pull Trigger on Nexus - Convince Me!

bigcatman

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I am familiar with Nexus devices. It sounds like you're not familiar with Verizon.

No matter what the devs think and Google thinks, Verizon will always be the gatekeeper for devices on their network. Maybe you missed the delay of the release of the GN in November/December. It had Verizon's fingerprints all over it.

I'm just wondering what evidence the devs have that say it will be different with Verizon. As you point out 4.0.3 is readily available. Except those that don't/can't root their device. Verizon holds that timetable. It will NOT be released until Verizon says it will be released. Period. End of story. If you have evidence to prove the opposite I'd like to see it. But I don't think there is such evidence.

Why would you purchase a nexus device if you aren't going to root? What's the point? That's like buying a gaming pc for Dos games. You're severely limiting yourself.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

bigcatman

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
To have ICS?

Good point. *foot in mouth* Still. To most people the nexus is for development. If you're savvy enough to choose the nexus over, in my opinion, a better phone hardware wise (I own a GN), chances are you're in it for the development.

BigCTM

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Not me...I just want it for the fast updates. No need to root since there is minimal Verizon bloatware...

Good point. *foot in mouth* Still. To most people the nexus is for development. If you're savvy enough to choose the nexus over, in my opinion, a better phone hardware wise (I own a GN), chances are you're in it for the development.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Why would you purchase a nexus device if you aren't going to root? What's the point? That's like buying a gaming pc for Dos games. You're severely limiting yourself.

To have ICS. Mine is a company phone. Like most companies it violates corporate policy to root the phone.

But the purchase of the GN, for me and for my wife and for my daughter (we all have a GN), the Nexus name had absolutely nothing to do with the decision to purchase. Android 4.0 did.

I've been using Android 3 since April and knew that my wife's first smart phone would not be Gingerbread or below. ICS is so much more user friendly that it's the best first smart phone experience. And, it's proven to be true. Neither my wife nor my daughter are gadget savvy and they took to ICS quickly and easily. My wife actually says, "I love my phone," something she never said about her iPad. That's good enough for me.

Fast updates, rooting, modifying the phone are not interesting to my family. This is probably true of 95% of the Android phone purchasers. There are 700,000 new activations a day. Do we really think that more than 35,000 people per day are wanting to root their phone?

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

I wanted ICS. The first phone that came with the ICS was the Nexus. It was as simple as that. One of the first things I did was replace the launcher with Nova. I'm not religious about keeping it Virgin. In fact, I like Touchwiz on my Galaxy Tab. Samsung has filled some holes that Google left out.

After all, isn't that exactly what people are doing when they install a custom rom? Filling in the holes that Google left out. If rooting and modding the phone is important then what does it matter if it's a Nexus? People root and mod any model of Android phone being sold.

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I prefer the Android OS skinless, I enjoyed my OG Droid much better than my Bionic because of that reason. I am currently waiting for my Bionic replacement (the GN) to come in the mail. Called to complain about the Bionic and they offered to replace it with a GN or Razr free of charge. I love moto build quality (or did until i got the Bionic) so deciding between the Razr and the Nexus was a hard choice, i am hoping i made the right decision. If not i am sure someone out there will gladly trade a new Nexus for a Razr.

axne1

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I cant seem to pull the trigger on a Galaxy Nexus purchase, I need to either be convinced to do it or be convinced the phone is not for me.

My background - have a Samsung Fascinate, no real issues with it since recently restoring the stock image ( for some reason before that it was acting very odd - blinking buttons, extreme lag ). When it was acting up I was anxiously waiting the GN but by the time it came out I had already reverted and it wasnt as necessary.

I am an amateur developer, nothing for sale yet, been playing around with android apps in my spare time, especially GLES since thats related to my profession. But I develop in Linux and I understand its not easy to connect the GN to a Linux box due to the storage/mounting protocol?

I manually turn things on/off like Wifi, data, GPS when I need them. I get massive battery life out of my phone this way. For instance, I am at 49% after 4 days and 12 hours on my current charge, and that includes letting my daughter watch Nemo for 30 minutes on the phone yesterday. I realize the GN will not give me anywhere near this amount of battery so that concerns me.

Also the reception problems concern me. I live in an area with excellent VZW and LTE coverage, so the only way I could have problems is if the phone has some problem. I dont want a phone that I cant use as a phone obviously.

I never had a screen protector on my Fascinate, and have 1 fine scratch after a year and a half. The soft screen of the GN concerns me, and the fact that there is no consensus on a 'best' dry protector. Ive tried applying the wet ones and never had any luck. So that bothers me.

Also, the phone is quite massive. The Fascinate is not small, but the GN is clearly bigger.

Ive been into the VZW store about a half dozen times to look at the GN and never leave with it due to these concerns. My wife is of no help, she could care less about phones and such.

So what do you 'experts' think? Will I be disappointed?

Amazon sells them for $99. The only place you can get that price. :)

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk