Time Lapse Questions/Concerns

xiaosong

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Have any of you guys tried the time lapse feature in ICS for longer than a few hours?

It seems odd to me that you can't turn off the screen during the time lapse capture or switch to a different app. The screen uses a lot of battery power and I'm worried about screen burn in if I leave it on for a few hours for a time lapse video.

Also, does anyone know how to disable the autofocus and just set the focus to infinity for the camera so it doesn't change the focus during the time lapse?

Hope you guys with more experience with the time lapse share your thoughts!
Thanks

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I did a time lapse video for about 3 hours... The battery went to 14% after about 30 minutes so there's a nice little jolt in the middle of my video where I plugged my phone back in... HAHA.

Not sure about burn in or focusing though...

Profete162

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Waw...

I Am really surprised I only found this thread while searching for this issue!

The battery drain is incredibly high, I lost 1% every 80 seconds!

My first time lapse video with a picture every 10 seconds couldn't make it better than one hour.

I strongly believe there is a big issue here!

Did some people succeed to make 2-3 hours of video?

xiaosong

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Waw...

I Am really surprised I only found this thread while searching for this issue!

The battery drain is incredibly high, I lost 1% every 80 seconds!

My first time lapse video with a picture every 10 seconds couldn't make it better than one hour.

I strongly believe there is a big issue here!

Did some people succeed to make 2-3 hours of video?

I think with the screen on, it takes up a lot of battery power. Most people probably have to have the phone plugged in. You can also try this program called Lapse It and set the brightness to 0. In that program, the screen becomes black after 30 seconds and after however long your screentime out is set to, everything becomes super dim. The screen still doesn't shut off completely unfortunately, but it should definitely use much less power.

ericwongcm

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Dear all Time Lapse Photographers,

We have just released a Free Time Lapse application on the Android Market.

You can download it for free here:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...id=com.portable.timelapse.lite&token=_ZBXKey5

This application is designed to help you to win the Qualcomm's One Charge challenge by creating your own time lapse video for submission. In order to help you to create a video to win this competition, we have decided to release this application ahead of its schedule. Hence, please forgive us for the lack of UI design and any potential problems you may find with the application.

As of today, 12th April 2012, there is ZERO video submitted for the One Charge challenge. (Does this mean any video submitted will be guaranteed to win?)

In any case, Qualcomm's One Charge challenge deadline is on the 20th April. If you are still interested to win a new phone or tablet from Qualcomm, we would suggest that you try to create a video/photo for submission as soon as possible.

Our internal test shows that this application was able to capture photos for over 24hrs in a single charge using Nexus One, Android 2.3 using 24/7 Time Lapse's default settings with the preview turned off. Our best competitor's application was only able to last at most 6 hr under the same conditions (More details on these tests can be found on our web site - Time Lapse Application Battery Life Comparison | 24/7 Time Lapse Android Smartphone Application in the coming days and weeks).

Yes, we know this level of battery life sounds unbelievable but this is true and we would be interested to hear from you how many photos and how many hours you managed get with a full charge using your phone/tablet. Remember to tell us what is your phone/tablet model and whether you have turned on/off your WIFI, GPS and GSM radio (airplane on/off).

Robert on April 12, 2012 (HTC Shooter with version 0.1)
The claims are true
I've tested for 3 hours, capturing a photo every minute, and the battery level is the same as if the phone has not been used.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...&reviewId=02099798861366150002&token=syBSyFwz

Portable Electronics Ltd
24/7 Time Lapse Android Application Home Page | 24/7 Time Lapse Android Smartphone Application

Dimitris Tsints

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I was shooting a great lightning time lapse video when the battery turned to 0 and the phone shut itself. The video cannot be played and it shows as size and duration 0. Is there a way I can restore it?

EDIT: I noticed that apart from the video file (VID_20130722_021635.mp4) which is size 0, there is also a temporary file (VID_20130722_021635.mp4.tmp) of size 146mb. However, none of them play.
I tried to rename the second file to .mp4, I tested it on my computer, but it still doesn't work...

EDIT 2: Never mind, I recovered the video using Grau GbRs Video Repair Tool and following this guide xda-developers - View Single Post - Repair MP4 video file

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress