GN in Jamaca?

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I will be going to Jamaica in May for a wedding and was wondering if my phone will work over there? International plan or am I better off to turn off the radio and use wifi?

Thanks

kesnik

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I went the Dominican Republic in November and Verizon quoted me some crazy high prices however the year before I went the the Bahamas and the cost for data (calls were still very high) wasn't bad so I changed my plan for that trip. Moral of the story is its going to depend on the country your visiting (don't know about Jamaica). If Verizon quotes you a high price consider using the resort's wfi.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

nick1020

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I went to china last January, I just used some apps so I wouldnt have to pay anything to verizon. I kept the phone in airplane mode the entire time and only enabled wifi. Used google voice for texting, then I used Fring to make calls over wifi (without video) to any number. I added $10 to my fring account and I think it was like 2cents a minute and it lasted me almost a full month. Im sure there are other apps that you could use other than fring. This only works over wifi, so it may or may not be a viable option for you.

elkniwcire

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I just went to Jamaica. It will definitely work but it is EXPENSIVE. $20 per megabyte and like $2 per minute. I just used wifi. When you land verizon sends you a free text with the rates

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699