Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts

Default HUGE BATTERY LIfe Tip!

So I been getting less than 7-8 hours on my GN (Verizon) and can't for the life of me figure out what is keeping the phone awake. I downloaded betterbatterystats and saw that google talk was enabled. Only thing is I never enabled it, I don't even use it.

So I opened google talk and signed out, I went from burning 12-14% an hour to 4%...thats huge.

I also made sure my two google emails just sync contacts and calendars and my exchange is set for 1/2 hour check rather than push.

At 4% burn rate I'm looking at over 20 hours with the extended battery which I had from day 1.

Its a simple tip but I just wanted to share my experience.
    Thanked by 6:
    Banned

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    ROM
    Lithium

Default Re: HUGE BATTERY LIfe Tip!

If Google Talk was eating your battery it would show up under settings/battery. You don't need an expensive program to tell you that.

Global Posts
    2,454 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Root

Thanks it helped me. Everyone isn't an advanced Android user.
    milominderbinde and dsuppa like this.
    Mobile Enthusiast

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB B1/Franco M5

Battery usage seems to be very random and just depends on what each individual user is doing with their phone. I for one do use google talk to talk to my girlfriend from her iPhone which uses vTok, so my account is always running yet I still get about 4% drain per hour as long as im not doing anything intensive on my phone. I'm not discrediting that this would work for some but for me I doubt it would have any effect.

Someone should really start a "Which apps really eat at your battery" thread. I would but I'm not really active enough to keep it updated.

ROM
    CNA 3.0/leanKernel 4.2.0

Thanks. I'll try that. I don't use Google Talk, so I opened it up and logged out. I'll have to see if it makes any difference.

I always log out of Talk and it does seem to help. Battery life on Android phone can be a death by 1,000 cuts scenario sometimes. The last Google+ update made a difference for me even though the app never took top battery sucker honors in the battery stats.

How do you log out? I don't use Talk, but I do have a number (somewhere, I wonder how many of those ever get used lol). I don't see it using battery, but it seems to be active. I don't get how it would drain your battery if it's not doing anything.

i highly doubt gtalk was the cause of the battery issues. never turned gtalk off on mine and i see battery drops as low as 1% an hour or less sometimes. Seems like a coincidence.
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, One+, Venue Pro 8 & Nook HD+
    www.twitter.com/howarmat

The problem with just looking at the battery stats page (and I don't necessarily disagree with SSHGuru) is that there seems to be some really deep integration with some of the Google Apps where those apps themselves don't register on the battery usage page, but they affect the OS battery usage (because the processing string isn't coming from the app, but from its integration in the OS). Which is why disabling Google+ can make a big difference, even if G+ doesn't even show up on the battery use page. I'd suspect that for some users, signing out of Google Talk would have the same effect.
    Thanked by:

I'm averaging a 075% per hour (less than one percent) discharge while screen is off, and about 8% per hour discharge per hour with the screen on running all the goodies including Skype.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I've disabled Talk altogether from Apps settings.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts

I'm only running stock 4.0.2 I don't know if thats an apples to apples comparison with a rooted phone with gtalk. All I can tell is that before disabling it I had an almost solid awake bar in my history, today its just spotty I'm coming from a iPhone 4s so this is my first experience with ICS- way better than iOS in my opinion - had it a month already and love this phone.
    Josh515 likes this.

Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gummy Nex

Quote Originally Posted by jwood View Post
    I'm averaging ...about 8% per hour discharge per hour with the screen on
    LOL, no you're not. that would be over 12 hours of "screen on" time. I've yet to see over 4. I'm guessing you're much, much closer to 25% per hour with the screen on... just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
    LOL, no you're not. that would be over 12 hours of "screen on" time. I've yet to see over 4. I'm guessing you're much, much closer to 25% per hour with the screen on... just like everybody else.
    yea that is insane time, if you are meaning by 8% screen per hour with an hour of screen time, then that is nuts

i agree with the person above me on 25% per hour of screen time, im getting around 20% playing games or browsing the web for an hour

Whats Vtok? Thanx

Bob

I also signed out from google talk and my battery seems to last a bit longer

Global Posts
    313 Global Posts

what did you see in better battery stats? I downloaded the app just a few days ago to try and figure out why my battery life stinks and didn't really notice gtalk. I noticed partial wakelocks from an "audioinput_1" or something that is supposedly linked to touch and lock sounds so i killed those
    Banned

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    ROM
    Lithium

I recommend you download Watchdog Lite.

Not only can you set it to tell you when any app is taking an unusual amount of resources but you can watch real time what's running and how much it's taking of the CPU.

Press the CPU tab and real time and you can literally see how much everything is taking including Google processes.

I'm watching it as we speak and Android system is taking between .08 and 2.1% System UI is taking between 0% and .08%. Of course Watchdog will be on top if your running it real time (which you don't want to do unless you are watching it). Other than what I named everything is near 0%.
    Thanked by:

I consistently get over 20 hours of usage from my GNex. I used to get about 12, but then I switched the screen brightness to "Auto" and that did the trick.

Oh, I actually used to get about 6-7 hours when I had haxsync installed. A GREAT app, but it lowered my battery IMMENSELY. Anyway, today, I am tracking for 28 hours.... with 4G turned on and never off.

Moderate usage.
    Now using God's Phone

ROM
    4.0.x

I have a HUGE BATTERY tip:

Seidio's 3800 mah battery. Sometimes you just have to use a bigger hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    I consistently get over 20 hours of usage from my GNex. I used to get about 12, but then I switched the screen brightness to "Auto" and that did the trick.

Oh, I actually used to get about 6-7 hours when I had haxsync installed. A GREAT app, but it lowered my battery IMMENSELY. Anyway, today, I am tracking for 28 hours.... with 4G turned on and never off.

Moderate usage.
    Could you define "moderate usage" by posting a screen on time.

I have the extended battery....take off charger in morning 100%...by end of work day my phone is at 60%. Only thing happening while at work is syncing...a few texts, gmails coming in...but only a few and maybe a phone cal or two for a few minutes. I have to figure this out.

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts

I have the same issue. Extended battery and all. I end up switching batteries out when I get home from work in the evening. I signed out of g talk which I never used. Love the phone but also need to figure out what's using all the juice.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Pink Tapatalk

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post

Moderate usage.
    Haxsync can be told how often to sync.

Sent from one of the following: Nexus, Bionic, or Xoom using Tapatalk
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast