Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How can I tell if Asurion insurance replacement GN is new or used

I know this is a silly question, but I'm gonna ask anyway.

How can I tell if the Asurion insurance replacement Galaxy Nexus
    that I receive is new(virgin, factory-fresh) or used(refurbished)?

UPDATE: I just received a brand spanking
    new Galaxy Nexus from Asurion 2 minutes
    ago!

(it came in the original box... even better than the one that I got from
    Verizon Wireless last month... complete with headset, charger, USB cable,
    manuals, all factory fresh)

Default Re: How can I tell if Asurion insurance replacement GN is new or

If you cannot tell, does it really matter?
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

On the back of the device behind the battery... should be a pcd sticker that has the date of the device... the circle void warranty stickers will be green instead of white.. as well as the registration numbers IMEI/ESN will be marked refurbished. That's all I can think of at the moment.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
    On the back of the device behind the battery... should be a pcd sticker that has the date of the device... the circle void warranty stickers will be green instead of white.. as well as the registration numbers IMEI/ESN will be marked refurbished. That's all I can think of at the moment.
    I have the battery out right now and I don't see any "void warranty" stickers at all. This GN was purchased
    new from Verizon Wireless. Is the GN supposed to have one? The only stickers are the water damage
    sticker(ruined now) and the one showing IMEI/Model/SKU #s...
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by af250xxl View Post
    I have the battery out right now and I don't see any "void warranty" stickers at all. This GN was purchased
    new from Verizon Wireless. Is the GN supposed to have one? The only stickers are the water damage
    sticker(ruined now) and the one showing IMEI/Model/SKU #s...
    Yea.. you're right. I just looked at my phone... don't have them either. Normally they would be placed over the screws so you don't tamper with anything.... not sure.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
    Yea.. you're right. I just looked at my phone... don't have them either. Normally they would be placed over the screws so you don't tamper with anything.... not sure.
    Those "warranty void" stickers are on almost all the smartphones/dumbphons I have ever owned.

Perhaps the Galaxy Nexus doesn't have them because Google want to encourage owners to
    enjoy software(no bloatware, only pure Android experience) as well as hardware freedom?

Time to take out the tiny screwdriver set that I bought last month!

smell it

In the past I have replaced two HTC Windows phones using Asurion and each time it came with a cheap box without the battery and back cover and a paper on how to activate it. But looks like your phone never had work done to it and sounds like no reason to. I assume if you had a phone that was actually reworked they would of sent it to you like the phones i got back.

Yeah I got a replacement og droid after mine was stolen and it did not come in a original box, had a charger that wasnt the original and was pretty obvious from the literature and packaging that it was a refurb.

Rule of thumb: if you turn in a used phone you'll get a refurb. A refurb is usually one less than 2 weeks old that someone didn't like. Interesting thing about Asurion: that's the warranty co. that will bill you on your Vzn bill. Deducable is $180. Water damage not covered. $6.99/mo. Verizon offers another insurance company option (forget name). You gotta pay them yourself (CC will work). Deducable is $130 and water is covered as is theft/lost. $6.99/mo. I got that. I carry insurance for a year. After that you can buy another phone cheaper than the deductable.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post
    Rule of thumb: if you turn in a used phone you'll get a refurb. A refurb is usually one less than 2 weeks old that someone didn't like. Interesting thing about Asurion: that's the warranty co. that will bill you on your Vzn bill. Deducable is $180. Water damage not covered. $6.99/mo. Verizon offers another insurance company option (forget name). You gotta pay them yourself (CC will work). Deducable is $130 and water is covered as is theft/lost. $6.99/mo. I got that. I carry insurance for a year. After that you can buy another phone cheaper than the deductable.
    Not true. Asurion covers everything, including water damage, loss, and theft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Verizon currently uses Asurion. A $6.99 TEC(total equipment coverage) charge appears on your monthly bill. Water damage is covered, which I found out after my Galaxy Nexus drowned.

After I paid the $99 deductible, I just received a brand spanking new Galaxy Nexus 2 minutes ago!
    (only because the phone is too new and they don't have any refurbished ones yet) It came in the original box... even better than the one that I got from
    Verizon Wireless last month... complete with headset, charger, USB cable, manuals, all factory fresh. (yes even smells fresh )

One thing that is curious is that the new Galaxy Nexus has a IMEI that's almost 900,000 later than my first Galaxy Nexus. Is this even possible?
    Did Samsung manufacture almost 1 million Galaxy Nexus phones in just 1 month?

Where did those numbers come from? Go to Asurion's web site (link) and look at the Galaxy Nexus' coverage. $99 deductible which includes everything: Water, loss, stolen, etc. In fact, if you look at the brochure the cover shows a phone splashing in water.

ROM
    Random ROM/Stock

I got mine in a box with all the accessories and chargers etc. Have gotten them in the past without this, so I would say if its in the original box you are pretty safe it would not be refurb.

Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    Where did those numbers come from? Go to Asurion's web site (link) and look at the Galaxy Nexus' coverage. $99 deductible which includes everything: Water, loss, stolen, etc. In fact, if you look at the brochure the cover shows a phone splashing in water.
    That's what the Vzn rep told me when I bought me phone. He even showed me some piece with the comparison of the 2 plans (obviously pushing the other one). I never went to their website. Sorry I posted erroneous info.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

That's what the Vzn rep told me when I bought me phone. He even showed me some piece with the comparison of the 2 plans (obviously pushing the other one). I never went to their website. Sorry I posted erroneous info.
    Weird. What state are you in? Your states laws may require them to offer two different plans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk