Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is the "Recent Apps" soft key that useful to be a soft key?

I found myself never, not even once, used the "Recent Apps" soft key in my whole month owning the GN. I find all my apps more easily accessed from home screens. Or am i doing it wrong? :-)
    Is recent apps soft key useful for you guys?

Default Re: Is the "Recent Apps" soft key that useful to be a soft key?

Very useful! I use it to bounce back and forth between apps (twitter, gallery, browser, xda, etc). It's nicer then bouncing to home and finding the other app to launch.
    jroc, MOTOX2 and yofat004 like this.

I use it a lot.

For instance, I can hop from a page on the internet to the calculator and back without ever closing anything. Its for good for multitasking.

However, I would like to see it have the ability to open something that you haven't recently used but really that's not what its for.
    But I find myself at times wanting something I haven't recently used and having to just close that program and open the other and then I can hop back and forth.
    MOTOX2 likes this.

I use it constantly. More than the home key.
    MOTOX2 and yofat004 like this.

I have been told you can shut down running apps quickly by swiping them in the drop down menu. Primarily use it for that. I liked the long hold home better to view recent apps. Don't really use the button for actual multitasking. Plus it is kind of laggy, often I double tap it and end up opening and closing it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I never used it till I decided to start making an effort to try it out and do things the "ICS" way......and waddya know its awesome. I now use it quite often to bounce around to different apps....like from browser to messaging back to browser to email to a game back to browser to twitter blah blah blah......I am pretty convinced now that these three buttons are all we need....although their is a small part of me still holding onto my beloved search button......but Im over it....kinda.
    Thanked by:
    Laineyc likes this.

Global Posts
    184 Global Posts

I use it occasionally, for "multitasking". I'd probably miss it if it wasnt there, though.
    Thanked by:

To me they could have left pressing and holding the home key to access the last few apps, just increase the number of apps it kept.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Sounds cool and conenient. I'll pay more attention to that soft key and from what you guys said it should make my switching between apps quicker

Global Posts
    446 Global Posts

I use it constantly. However in most custom ROMS holding down the home key does the same thing

Still needs fixing when going to some apps or in between the web and apps. My biggest gripe.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyRussian007 View Post
    I found myself never, not even once, used the "Recent Apps" soft key in my whole month owning the GN. I find all my apps more easily accessed from home screens. Or am i doing it wrong? :-)
    Is recent apps soft key useful for you guys?
    I love it. For me it is similar to my task bar on my computer. It allows me to easily switch between apps.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air

I use it fairly often. But to be honest, I'd much prefer it was a longpress on the Home button like it used to be. Then bring the Menu or Search button back. It just irks me a bit when you're never 100% certain where the current Menu button (three dots) is going to be. I know, I know, it's not rocket science to look in the two places it's normally found, but it's nice to find your buttons in the same place when you're operating One-Handed.

Menu and Search are used more often than Task-Switching... so you'd think they'd deserve a dedicated button.
    "Some see the glass as half-empty, some see the glass as half-full. I see the glass as too big."
    - George Carlin

I use it a lot when I press a wrong button and get kicked out of an app I'm using, eg entering data or a url, hit wrong key. Luckily, the stuff is still there if you hit the recent apps key.

What I wish is that you can set the number of recent apps that stay in there. sometimes there's so many and in no logical order, hard to find.

ROM
    AOKP Toro build #21

Its great for multi tasking. I use it a lot more than I originally thought I would.
    (As long as I remember lol)

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

I find my self using it often as I generally use the same few Apps all day long and it's nice to pop back and forth. I definitely prefer it to the long press action, which I don't find very intuitive. I used it, but I know many android users that don't even know it's an option. I like that Google is taking UI serious and making changes that are intuitive even for my 4 year old daughter.

Steve in CT

Global Posts
    617 Global Posts
    ROM
    Redemption ROM

I use it so much.

Can I be honest and say that I have absolutely no idea how you are using the phone without using the Recent Apps button?
    yofat004 likes this.

I use it all the time. But, I've been using it since April when I got a Honeycomb tablet.

You'll get used to it.

Agree, use it all the time. But I am used to it from my galaxy tab.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    I use it so much.

Can I be honest and say that I have absolutely no idea how you are using the phone without using the Recent Apps button?
    Prior to it we would just hit home then open the app again.

ROM
    Do I Need one??

I agree. Long pressing the home button should have the same affrct and replace the app switcher key with s customizeable one ie a shortcut or something of our choosing
    Banned

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    ROM
    Lithium

I love it. For one you can see what's running and swipe to end it. On the other you can switch between applications in a second.

As others have said it's like switching between program on a computer. It's a very powerful feature.

ROM
    4.0.3 Codename 1.5.0

I use it just as much as the home key, if not more actually...
    DaPoets
    ~ Galaxy Nexus LTE Codename Android ROM 1.6 (ICS 4.0.3)
    ~ Motorola Xoom LTE Codename Android ROM 1.5.5 (ICS 4.0.3)
    ~ Droid Charge as 24/7 4G Unlimited Tether Bot on Stock
    G1000 -> PPC6600 -> PPC6700 -> OG Droid -> Galaxy S Fascinate -> Pure Bliss

ROM
    You Jelly Huh 2.1

The Recent Apps softkey is such a good tool to use. Especially if you are using Google maps and need to switch over to Google music to change a track or something. ICS is a big step forward for Android, and is only an indicator or better things to come!
    My Galaxy Note 2 tells me to have a beer! Okay!!!
    Wildo6882 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

i agree the overall sentiment here. i like it alot. that being said, why is there not a search soft button? i think that is a major fail! the search bar at the top of all home screens is totally stupid, and can only be used from the home screens.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast