1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon Galaxy Nexus duplicates dial pad touch tones when the spe

With the default settings, Verizon Galaxy Nexus seems to duplicate dial pad touch tones when the speaker phone is on. The issue revealed itself when I tried to dial the access code to my voice mail with the speaker phone turned on. The access code was not accepted. With the speaker phone off, the access code was accepted.

After lengthy troubleshooting with both Verizon Wireless and Samsung, a workaround was found: In device settings - sound - in the system section, one has to uncheck "Dial pad touch tones". This resolves the problem, but then, of course, there are no dial pad touch tone sounds when one dials.

A conjecture: the microphone seems to pick-up the touch tone sounds when the speaker phone is on, and the phone does not properly filter them out.

If you also have this issue, please support the following Google bug report:

Default Re: Verizon Galaxy Nexus duplicates dial pad touch tones when the

I'm not sure why I would dial with the speaker phone on. The touch tones are very loud to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    I'm not sure why I would dial with the speaker phone on. The touch tones are very loud to begin with.
    OMG, makes total sense now.

you put it in speaker after you dial for voicemail so you can hear the lady say please enter your password. But when you do the password it must double up on it, explaining why it doesn't take.

I use the dialer to enter my password now.

Ah, now I get your issue. I don't use voice mail, well not the voicemail from Verizon. I have Google Voice on my phone and all of the Google Voice voicemail comes in a text message, and optionally email, translated into text. There's also a play button to play the voicemail.

It is not a bug. It is a poor design flaw in the hardware. The speaker is located at the bottom of the phone, next to the mic, so it picks up two times in an echo, it's why most manufactures don't place the speaker down there or next to the mic at all...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

what kind of case do you have? i have a friend with the first batch of Casemates POP case and it did not have a cut out for the noise cancelling mic up to the right of the camera and flash. when i was speaking to him, he on his nex and i on mine, any time he put me on speaker i could barely speak because of the feedback i had through my speaker. i kept asking him what was going on and soon we narrowed it down to happening when he activated his speaker phone. i had him on my speakerphone as well but did not experience this problem. we discussed it for a while and tried to narrow down possibilities. What we ended up determining was that he had a case and i did not. i told him to remove his just for s and giggles and when he did it immediately worked properly. then we wanted to know why. he noticed the tiny notch in the battery cover and determined it was for noise cancelling mic.

he contacted Casemate and sure enough the first batch did not have the hole for this mic. that is why the casemate pop is backordered everywhere right now and also why it is not on there website right now. they should have the revised cases soon. next 2-3 weeks.

after we figured this out we noticed that several other cases did not have the hole in their case photos as well.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    It is not a bug. It is a poor design flaw in the hardware. The speaker is located at the bottom of the phone, next to the mic, so it picks up two times in an echo, it's why most manufactures don't place the speaker down there or next to the mic at all...

you are absolutely incorrect!!!!!!!!!

the speakerphone performance is flawless on my nexus.

I wish the speaker looked exactly like the ear speaker but at that bottom of the phone facing toward me. I don't know why people behind my phone get to hear it better than I do.

Global Posts
    424 Global Posts

Ya gotta be careful about using the words "design flaw" in this crowd ; -)

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lordbah View Post
    Ya gotta be careful about using the words "design flaw" in this crowd ; -)

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using Tapatalk
    especially when it isnt!

Makes you wonder why the second mic doesn't filter this out.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts

I just tried navigating my online banking site with touch tones on speakerphone and it works perfectly. No double tones. Also, the consensus with people I talk to on speaker phone say I sound crystal clear

ROM
    Shiny 4.2.2

I've had a similar issue happen, only not consistently. A few times with voicemail and a few with my bank. Sometimes it takes it with them on. When I had to activate a new bank card, it would not work at all with speakerphone. So it turned it off and it still took another three tries. Voicemail has been hit or miss. Some days it's flawless, other days it won't take my password unless I turn tones off.

Quote Originally Posted by edizzle View Post
    you are absolutely incorrect!!!!!!!!!

the speakerphone performance is flawless on my nexus.
    Sorry, but I am correct, and this issue had been gone over extensively in another thread and confirmed by numerous accounts.

I just tried it yesterday and it picked up what I dialed perfectly fine. Don't know why mine works and yours doesn't.

Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

I've had this happen as well. Press the mute button.
    Thanked by:

I've also had the problem. It's even happened with speaker off, if there isn't enough ambient noise to filter out. (early morning, when I'm the only one awake)

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I experienced this twice. Once trying to refill a prescription over the phone (your Rx is not valid) and another keying in my home phone number for Comcast internet support (they got a different yet somehow valid number until I actually spoke to a human being)

Next time I'll be sure to not use speakerphone for this type of purposes.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.