anyone mad about Anandtech's G Nex review on battery life?

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Because you are the one who started the thread. The article posted includes the phone you choose to use.

I also used a G Nex too...FWIW...the standby times for both phones lasted at my job. And I can never really test battery life cuz I live n work in a bad reception area. So if I do check..its gonna be worse than if I lived in a better area.

Well, it looks like you are probably getting the information you need from the thread. How do you feel about the responses so far?

Some are expected....thats all I'm going to say....

And checking just now,,,,the RAZR has a smaller battery: 1780 in the RAZR vs. 1850 in the G Nex. Some ppl laughed at that huge extended battery for the G Nex. I would get one if I still had the G Nex. I got that 2800 for my Droid 1, so I'm used to it.

I'm a function over form guy.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Another thing that the review unearthed is the quality of the calls on the phone when there is background noise. It is has poor background noise filtering. I expereinced first hand this problem when my friend got a call on his GN in a busy restaurant and had to plug his other ear and press the phone tightly to his listening ear in ordrer to have a semi-decent conversation. Anandtech replicated this same issue in their tests.

Reactions: jroc

wmtoandroid

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Why should I be mad about it? I don't care what their review says. All that matters is that the battery life that I'M seeing daily is pretty good.

But that's the problem... Most users are getting crappy battery life, let alone 6+ + hours of ON SCREEN time. Other reviewers rated the battery life to be half of what anandtech did. It certainly raises a few questions.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: jroc

bigcatman

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Another thing that the review unearthed is the quality of the calls on the phone when there is background noise. It is has poor background noise filtering. I expereinced first hand this problem when my friend got a call on his GN in a busy restaurant and had to plug his other ear and press the phone tightly to his listening ear in ordrer to have a semi-decent conversation. Anandtech replicated this same issue in their tests.

Not sure if serious? Noise cancellation is for the OTHER person, not you. Your phone doesn't magically make the room quiet so you can have a conversation.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
That review( I hit the main points of it) doesnt bother me,actually my battery life is pretty good.
I still use the stock battery that came with the phone havent really needed to get the extended battery yet.The only time I thought the batttery sucked was the first fully charged and drained, but battery life improved after a few charges,I get way more battery life then the article mentioned so while that may be their opinion its not mine , haha and as we all know everyone has an opinion;)
I am a moderate user Id say using it 15 minutes out of every hour as an average,sometimes more sometimes less :)
But Im not on it for an entire hour at a time anymore.

Last edited:

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if serious? Noise cancellation is for the OTHER person, not you. Your phone doesn't magically make the room quiet so you can have a conversation.

This is what is mentioned in the article, if you bothered reading it. Also listen to the audio clips. It is very clear what is going on:

"When it comes to ambient noise suppression, both the CDMA/LTE Galaxy Nexus and GSM/UMTS Galaxy Nexus have a second microphone for common mode noise rejection. The microphone is right near where the battery cover makes contact with the top, slightly offset to the right. It?s a small port but easy enough to pick out. I don?t know what solution is at play inside the Galaxy Nexus, but it honestly does a mediocre job suppressing noise, we?ve seen other phones definitely do better."

Noise suppression is poor on the phone. No two ways about it.

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
This is what is mentioned in the article, if you bothered reading it. Also listen to the audio clips. It is very clear what is going on:

"When it comes to ambient noise suppression, both the CDMA/LTE Galaxy Nexus and GSM/UMTS Galaxy Nexus have a second microphone for common mode noise rejection. The microphone is right near where the battery cover makes contact with the top, slightly offset to the right. It?s a small port but easy enough to pick out. I don?t know what solution is at play inside the Galaxy Nexus, but it honestly does a mediocre job suppressing noise, we?ve seen other phones definitely do better."

So when you're in a noisy room, put your right index finger over that tiny hole/port, and the dude listening won't hear as much noise, got it?:p

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

You can't read. The noise suppression ONLY applies to the person at the other end of the call, not for the person on the Nexus. And Anandtech is the only review I've seen that said it doesn't work that well on the Nexus. (keep in mind that there are about a thousand different factors that can affect this, none of which have to do with the actual noise suppression)

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
But that's the problem... Most users are getting crappy battery life, let alone 6+ + hours of ON SCREEN time. Other reviewers rated the battery life to be half of what anandtech did. It certainly raises a few questions.

'Most' isn't accurate. Some people are, but they are a minority.

Personally, I get 16-20 hours EASILY out of the Nexus.

coloneljames

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
so to the people that are complaining about the battery, do you spend your days in remote, preindustrial villages?

if it's low while i'm at work, i top it off. if it's low when i'm out and about, i top it off in the car. it charges it while i sleep. nature of the beast.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
You can't read. The noise suppression ONLY applies to the person at the other end of the call, not for the person on the Nexus. And Anandtech is the only review I've seen that said it doesn't work that well on the Nexus. (keep in mind that there are about a thousand different factors that can affect this, none of which have to do with the actual noise suppression)

Maybe others did not try as exhaustive a review as Anandtech. There is a reason why Anandtech is late with their reviews. Care to guess? Because they cover every aspect of the phone. They live with the phone for a long time and discover issues that other short term reviewers do not.

Whatever affects this is not clear. But it is happening. I experienced it first hand and Anandtech replicated what I experienced.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
So when you're in a noisy room, put your right index finger over that tiny hole/port, and the dude listening won't hear as much noise, got it?:p

Also, put your finger in the hole in your head on the opposite side of of your head as the phone and you'll hear the the other person better. :D

Mathmatikus

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
'Most' isn't accurate. Some people are, but they are a minority.

Personally, I get 16-20 hours EASILY out of the Nexus.

So can I when I don't use it, 22 hours @ 47% with 31 minutes of screen on time. I think the battery is normal for a 4g phone but I'm having a hard time believing the 5 to 6 hours of screen on time anandtech posted

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Maybe others did not try as exhaustive a review as Anandtech. There is a reason why Anandtech is late with their reviews. Care to guess? Because they cover every aspect of the phone. They live with the phone for a long time and discover issues that other short term reviewers do not.

Whatever affects this is not clear. But it is happening. I experienced it first hand and Anandtech replicated what I experienced.

Sorry, I don't care how much time they spend with the phone. If the issues they're talking about actually existed and were as poor as they said, the other reviewers would have noticed immediately.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Appreciate the feedback from folks.

This thread isnt something I normally do, but more dialogue is coming from it so its all good IMO. This thread was something of an experiment and a lesson to some folks..

The thing about the G Nex is you can have extended batteries....and it being a Nexus custom kernels are a huge plus. Those that dont want to or know how to root and unlock the bootloader, its worth it.

I mentioned the Wifi trick in another thread: someone found out that leaving wifi on, even if its not connected to any wifi sources....somehow helps the battery life. When I had the G Nex I also turned off NFC. Dont know what helped but I did both and it seemed to be better.

Bottom line: if you are not having good battery life, there are ways to make it better. I have a RAZR...so I have to go the external battery route if I wanted to be a heavy user, especially for where I work n live. Although I will be doing that for all current and future phones, something small like the Anker has 5,000 mAh's... I have yet to see an extended battery match that. It looks like a big lighter or a big USB stick.

About Anadtech....no they arent the end all be all...but they are close. Thats one of the few sites that went into detail about the iPhone 4 antenna issue. And explained and showed how it was a real issue. And ways it could be helped. And this is the same site that soo many ppl go to for reference about the signal, bars for the G Nex and say its a non issue because Anandtech says so. And I have yet to see anyone go into the detail that Anandtech goes into with reviews of different tech, not just phones.

Cant have it both ways. Anandtech was also on of the few sites that mentioned the audio problem on the Galaxy S 2....which if you read forums and other sites...only the Bionic had it.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
So basically, your point was to come in here and be a sh!t stirrer? That was obvious from the beginning...

Not necessarily... and I dont think my responses were as bad as some I've seen in similar threads... Just wanted ppl's opinions.

Like someone mentioned earlier, those with worse battery life than others can look at the review for reference. According to the review, using it for phone calls alot can drain the battery. Compare that to your regular use if you are having worse battery life than others and see if it matches. I showed this review to someone in another thread and they said thanks, they will have to check out that site more when trying to decide purchases. So I dont really see it as a totally bad thread. Being an informed consumer is never a bad thing.

Like I'm learning with Moto to NEVER purchase a phone on launch day with them ever again.....I WANT that RAZR Maxx...lol.

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with my battery life after my first full day at work with my Nexus running on nothing but battery. To be fair, it's only the first day... and I don't do that much voice calling (only about 45 minutes today). This is standard battery, unlocked and rooted but otherwise completely stock, with Gmail sync turned on, Google+ enabled (but no notifications), Facebook, Google Talk logged in, and Google Voice. I also spent most of the day in range of Wifi and with the screen at lowest brightness (all I really needed to see it clearly), which helped.

Screenshot_2012-01-20-21-50-58.png

Screenshot_2012-01-20-21-50-48.png

bigcatman

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site

No no no no. You said that your friend got a phone call on his GN, and had to plug his other ear to hear, and you're blaming that on noise filtering. The noise filtering is for the other person on the line, not the GN user. I don't think you understood what I said, or what the article said. Try again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma