Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default anyone mad about Anandtech's G Nex review on battery life?

I mentioned this before the review came out. In the Bench Tool on their site you can compare phones for different things.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: anyone mad about Anandtech's G Nex review on battery life?

Why should I be mad about it? I don't care what their review says. All that matters is that the battery life that I'M seeing daily is pretty good.
    p08757 likes this.

I don't understand why anyone expects great battery life out of a smartphone which is just a small computer. I use my phone more than I use my laptop. If I unplug my laptop, I don't expect it to last all day, so I don't expect it of my smartphone, that's why I charge it often.
    Thanked by 2:

I don't understand why I would be mad about it. I know how to manage my battery just fine, thanks. I can manage to get through an entire day easily.
    p08757 and SuperChargedJ like this.
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,017 Global Posts

Like others said, why would I be mad about a review on battery life after I already have the phone? Now If I read the review and it sad that I would get 5 days out of one charge, and I come to find I only get 1, I would be mad.

They didn't even separate CDMA from LTE...I had some battery issues but after recalibrating it based on feedback here and on other forums I can go almost 24 hours on the extended battery...and my display is on 90% of my workday...eh, nothing to get mad about. I call that kind of battery life "user error."

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ROM
    Rascream + Trinity kernel

Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    I don't understand why anyone expects great battery life out of a smartphone which is just a small computer. I use my phone more than I use my laptop. If I unplug my laptop, I don't expect it to last all day, so I don't expect it of my smartphone, that's why I charge it often.
    I wish more people thought like this. It has a battery, at some point it could die. Especially if you use it a lot.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,897 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

What did surprise me (and it shouldn't, really) is the difference between the CDMA/LTE version and the GSM/UMTS version. Especially on talk time.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

I have no concerns about what other people think about this phone. It's not my child or my pet so a protective emotional reaction doesn't make sense.

All that matters is this: Does it do the job for which I need it to do? If so then I'm fine.

If a reviewer says my Craftsman hammer is a piece a crap do I care? No, as long is it hammers nails for me I'm fine.
    ottscay likes this.

I'm not mad.

You mad, bro?
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,600 Global Posts

Not mad at all. That beautiful AMOLED screen uses tons of battery. Not surprised at the results.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

I don't know what I'd be irritated about. (I'm gonna assume you meant irritated and not "angry.")

Are you suggesting that the review is inaccurate because it paints a poor picture of battery life? (Which I don't think it does.)
    Or because it suggests that pound for pound the battery life is pretty good? (Which seems to be pretty accurate.)
    Or because they obviously botched the talk-time test? (Since CDMA vs GSM can't be the whole story, because 6 of the top 10 phones are CDMA -- and that's assuming the iPhone 4S they used was not CDMA.)
    Now using God's Phone

ROM
    4.0.x

Best review of the GNex I've yet read. Balanced and insightful. I liked it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

i have the GSM version, and while i have only used it lightly, my battery is now on day 2 and 5 hours on one charge. i talked on the phone for a bit here and there, played some words with friends, some cut the rope, hung out on facebook on the couch a bit here and there, goofed with the camera and gallery a bit, and played around with G+ widget some. checked the weather a few times also. battery seems pretty decent to me!
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by ganklin View Post
    i have the GSM version, and while i have only used it lightly, my battery is now on day 2 and 5 hours on one charge. i talked on the phone for a bit here and there, played some words with friends, some cut the rope, hung out on facebook on the couch a bit here and there, goofed with the camera and gallery a bit, and played around with G+ widget some. checked the weather a few times also. battery seems pretty decent to me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    What did surprise me (and it shouldn't, really) is the difference between the CDMA/LTE version and the GSM/UMTS version. Especially on talk time.
    Ganklin, the gsm version, according to their tests had overall better battery life than the cdma version. Talk times is a huge difference.

Reason other cdma phones have better talk times is probably because other manufactures just did a better job addressing talk time battery life. The RAZR has basically the same chip, I can't believe the chip, screen, and OS difference makes that much of a difference for talk times. Gsm isn't lte I believe, so that might playing a part.

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean

I get enough battery to last a full work day under my normal usage patterns so I'm fine with it. But even going by their results we get the longest lasting of the batteries on 4g under normal usage. I'm sure anybody using hotspot has the phone plugged in. What's there to be mad about?

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post

I mentioned this before the review came out. In the Bench Tool on their site you can compare phones for different things.
    Why should I be mad about it? I'm not angry, or upset about it either. Are you?

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    Not mad at all. That beautiful AMOLED screen uses tons of battery. Not surprised at the results.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    That's pretty much it too I think. Especially when you someone tries to compare the GN with the Razr. The Razr has a smaller screen, less resolution and a larger battery.

Personally, I think the GN should have been released with the extended battery as the standard. The extended battery does not add that much bulk, or weight, or thickness to the phone.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

The battery difference between the RAZR and G Nex is barely 100 mAh.The screen res difference isnt that big. The screen size isnt that big to have a 5 hour difference in talk time battery life vs the RAZR. Its something else...

When you are on a call, the screen is off....

Why are some ppl asking me if I'm mad? lol I wanted to know current G Nex owners feelings about it, thats all. Its just another thing to add to the pro n con list of these phones, thats all. I already researched that before I tried out the G Nex, so no...I'm not mad.

Info helps us consumers in making purchasing decisions, right?

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    Why are some ppl asking me if I'm mad?
    Because you are the one who started the thread. The article posted includes the phone you choose to use.
    lol I wanted to know current G Nex owners feelings about it, thats all. Its just another thing to add to the pro n con list of these phones, thats all. I already researched that before I tried out the G Nex, so no...I'm not mad.
    Well, it looks like you are probably getting the information you need from the thread. How do you feel about the responses so far?
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post
    Because you are the one who started the thread. The article posted includes the phone you choose to use.

I also used a G Nex too...FWIW...the standby times for both phones lasted at my job. And I can never really test battery life cuz I live n work in a bad reception area. So if I do check..its gonna be worse than if I lived in a better area.

Well, it looks like you are probably getting the information you need from the thread. How do you feel about the responses so far?
    Some are expected....thats all I'm going to say....

And checking just now,,,,the RAZR has a smaller battery: 1780 in the RAZR vs. 1850 in the G Nex. Some ppl laughed at that huge extended battery for the G Nex. I would get one if I still had the G Nex. I got that 2800 for my Droid 1, so I'm used to it.

I'm a function over form guy.

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

This issue with this phone is not the battery but the rather dated GPU. The phone was introduced after the 4s but has a slower GPU per the tests conducted by Anandtech.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

Another thing that the review unearthed is the quality of the calls on the phone when there is background noise. It is has poor background noise filtering. I expereinced first hand this problem when my friend got a call on his GN in a busy restaurant and had to plug his other ear and press the phone tightly to his listening ear in ordrer to have a semi-decent conversation. Anandtech replicated this same issue in their tests.
    Thanked by:
    jroc 

Quote Originally Posted by Droid800 View Post
    Why should I be mad about it? I don't care what their review says. All that matters is that the battery life that I'M seeing daily is pretty good.
    But that's the problem... Most users are getting crappy battery life, let alone 6+ + hours of ON SCREEN time. Other reviewers rated the battery life to be half of what anandtech did. It certainly raises a few questions.

Thanked by:
    jroc 

Quote Originally Posted by nj1266 View Post
    Another thing that the review unearthed is the quality of the calls on the phone when there is background noise. It is has poor background noise filtering. I expereinced first hand this problem when my friend got a call on his GN in a busy restaurant and had to plug his other ear and press the phone tightly to his listening ear in ordrer to have a semi-decent conversation. Anandtech replicated this same issue in their tests.
    Not sure if serious? Noise cancellation is for the OTHER person, not you. Your phone doesn't magically make the room quiet so you can have a conversation.

jroc and Run L1ke H3LL like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast