Why does my new GN from Verizon store have 4.02 out of the box?

weboston

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I exchanged my Galaxy Nexus at the local Verizon corp store.

It had 4.02 on it as soon as I took it out of the box and turned it on. I know it was a new phone because the Verizon store clerk pulled it from a shelf and there were many other new ones.

My first Galaxy Nexus was shipped with 4.01 and then got updated after I activated the phone. Is Samsung now shipping them out with 4.02 preinstalled?

Z Fury

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Why does my new GN from Verizon store have 4.02 out of the bo

My guess is that they are shipping this way now. They have probably sold through all of the in-stock product that needed the upgrade.

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

I'm finding out that... G-Nex owners are Paranoid Schizophrenic, Anal, Perfectionists, who needs their device to be absolutely flawless in this broken down miserable, upside-down world... (including myself, of course ^_^)

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Is Samsung now shipping them out with 4.02 preinstalled?

Um...yes? Why is this a surprise? It shouldn't be.

For instance, the Droid X originally shipped with Eclair. Eventually, it began shipping with Froyo.

That's what happens when software gets updated.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I exchanged my Galaxy Nexus at the local Verizon corp store.

It had 4.02 on it as soon as I took it out of the box and turned it on. I know it was a new phone because the Verizon store clerk pulled it from a shelf and there were many other new ones.

My first Galaxy Nexus was shipped with 4.01 and then got updated after I activated the phone. Is Samsung now shipping them out with 4.02 preinstalled?

From what I've been told that is how the phones are shipping now. It is probably easier on the VZW's fragile data network to have it come already installed rather than having to do an OTR.

I would guess that the phones we purchased on release day didn't have it already installed because the update wasn't ready prior to their being shipped to the stores.

nohbody

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site

My new laptop came with Windows 7 SP1 instead of SP0. What gives?

I keeeed, I keeeed.

:D

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Unnecessary potshot. Most people, myself included, have no issues with Verizon's data.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

You must been one of the lucky ones that hasn't had to experience the data outages VZW has had over the past few months.

Sent from one of the following: Galaxy Nexus, Bionic or Xoom using Tapatalk.

walkingtaco

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
You must been one of the lucky ones that hasn't had to experience the data outages VZW has had over the past few months.

Sent from one of the following: Galaxy Nexus, Bionic or Xoom using Tapatalk.

I did and it lasted for less than a day of real world use. No access to a wifi connection anywhere? It was irritating but except for the two (brief) outages I've experienced I've had hundred if not thousands of hours of at least 15Mbps down which seems pretty solid to me. Lowest I've seen on 4g with one bar was 9Mbps down which rivals my Comcast during peak hours. Highest I've seen at home on 4g was 34Mbps. Pretty sh*tty, amirite?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

DancesWithFarts

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Reactions: pauldroidr2d2