Google Updates..

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
So.. What happened to all these stories before this phone came out about how it would have quick updates and always have the latest updates?

pretty sure 4.0.3 was out over a month ago.

alee

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Software releases take time and planning. Just because AOSP has locked in 4.0.3 doesn't mean you can just push it to hundreds of thousands of phones and think it'll actually go smoothly.

Patience. You'll see 4.0.3 on your Nexus. And your phone will see the next version of Android (Jelly Bean). All those other phones out there will probably never see a life after Gingerbread.

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Patience. You'll see 4.0.3 on your Nexus. And your phone will see the next version of Android (Jelly Bean). All those other phones out there will probably never see a life after Gingerbread.

I could care less about Jelly Bean, I'd just like ICS to work correctly.

Reactions: sucram6791#IM

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Software releases take time and planning. Just because AOSP has locked in 4.0.3 doesn't mean you can just push it to hundreds of thousands of phones and think it'll actually go smoothly.

I was under the impression that the nexus got it as soon as it was AOSP. Let alone a month+ later (could be 2 months by time we get it who knows) ?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Lol. Nexus S gets top billing over the ICS flagship. Priceless.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

That makes no sense. You want the version optimized for the Nexus S?

Take a few moments and learn about Android version numbers, and how they correspond to individual devices. The Nexus S, Nexus S 4G, GSM Galaxy Nexus (unlocked), GSM Galaxy Nexus (carrier locked), and Verizon Galaxy Nexus will all have different point numbers. They did with Gingerbread, and they will with ICS. They are different phones. I guess Google could be like Apple and create one big 2GB version of the OS that works for every model, then users could cry and moan about how big it is and how long it takes to update.

tl;dr version -- if your phone needs 4.0.3, you would have 4.0.3.

TMFGO45

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
4.0.3 was for the Nexus S. The GN may never even get it - might just skip to 4.0.4.

Sent from my Nexus S

I was going to say this exactly...I bet we don't even see it, and go straight to.4, maybe even .5!!!!!

Swyped from my Galaxy Nexus (Codename Android 1.1.4, franco.Kernel #13.1, Hotplug On, Leaked 4.0.3 radios, Inverted Gapps, Natemz Mod w/ Fast Glow, Nova Launcher #12, 1200/350 UV'ed) in Tapatalk Pro!

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I think updates should come across like app updates do, every time they conform a fix it comes across.

I mean today I got an angry birds seasons update and how old is that thing, they're still updating it?

The true test when ics goes to other phones, then you'll know. Now, there's no way to tell what's going on.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
That makes no sense. You want the version optimized for the Nexus S?

Take a few moments and learn about Android version numbers, and how they correspond to individual devices. The Nexus S, Nexus S 4G, GSM Galaxy Nexus (unlocked), GSM Galaxy Nexus (carrier locked), and Verizon Galaxy Nexus will all have different point numbers. They did with Gingerbread, and they will with ICS. They are different phones. I guess Google could be like Apple and create one big 2GB version of the OS that works for every model, then users could cry and moan about how big it is and how long it takes to update.

tl;dr version -- if your phone needs 4.0.3, you would have 4.0.3.

I installed a couple 4.0.3 roms and it did improve the radio. It wasn't perfect but it was better. So I would say this device needs every update available.

I could care less about the file size. 2 megs, or 2 gigs mean nothing. Fix the dam phone already.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I installed a couple 4.0.3 roms and it did improve the radio. It wasn't perfect but it was better. So I would say this device needs every update available.

I could care less about the file size. 2 megs, or 2 gigs mean nothing. Fix the dam phone already.

Proof that some people (read most people) are better off with the RAZR. If you didn't want to be the final beta tester for Google, you probably shouldn't have bought a Nexus phone. The Galaxy Nexus will live a buggy life for 6 months, like every Nexus device before it, while Google tweaks the code. Welcome to bleeding edge software.

Of course when I said this before everyone rushed out and bought one, people flipped out.

Reactions: jroc

molinap1

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
You can try all you to educate some people Jerry, but they do not want to learn. When they get argumentative, just let it go and laugh at them as you read their ignorant posts.

Keep up the good work Jerry.

Reactions: wyseguy77 and moosc

Kunji

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I think updates should come across like app updates do, every time they conform a fix it comes across.

I mean today I got an angry birds seasons update and how old is that thing, they're still updating it?

The true test when ics goes to other phones, then you'll know. Now, there's no way to tell what's going on.

this

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So.. What happened to all these stories before this phone came out about how it would have quick updates and always have the latest updates?

pretty sure 4.0.3 was out over a month ago.

How quickly do you demand they push an update? The phone has been out for a little more than a month.

Reactions: wyseguy77

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Proof that some people (read most people) are better off with the RAZR. If you didn't want to be the final beta tester for Google, you probably shouldn't have bought a Nexus phone. The Galaxy Nexus will live a buggy life for 6 months, like every Nexus device before it, while Google tweaks the code. Welcome to bleeding edge software.

Of course when I said this before everyone rushed out and bought one, people flipped out.

Hey Jerry, Do you know if the updates will also include Radio/Signal stability? The only real problem ive had with the phone is Data drops (Bars go grey) and signal drops (No bars). Knowing how the nexus s was updated (I don't), do you think this problem will be addressed sooner rather then later? or at all? Not being able to make phone calls on demand in good signal areas really concerns me. Thanks.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Hey Jerry, Do you know if the updates will also include Radio/Signal stability? The only real problem ive had with the phone is Data drops (Bars go grey) and signal drops (No bars). Knowing how the nexus s was updated (I don't), do you think this problem will be addressed sooner rather then later? or at all? Not being able to make phone calls on demand in good signal areas really concerns me. Thanks.

Not having a Verizon G Nex this is all speculation :)

IF the radio issues affect a significant number of people (I think they do) AND Google/Verizon/Samsung recognize it as a real issue (again, I *think* they do), they are working on it now. Radios are tricky, because Samsung and Verizon own or license all the intellectual property inside them. From what I understand there are already some testing radios leaked that perform a bit better.

I'm not trying to scare anyone away from the G Nex -- if you put up with the first few buggy builds you'll end up with the best ICS phone ever made, and the best device on Verizon until they ever release a new Nexus. It's just hard for some people to do that, especially if the rely on their phone.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

That is if you believe the software is at fault. I really have no issues with ICS. It's a great O/S.

Not having a Verizon G Nex this is all speculation :)

IF the radio issues affect a significant number of people (I think they do) AND Google/Verizon/Samsung recognize it as a real issue (again, I *think* they do), they are working on it now. Radios are tricky, because Samsung and Verizon own or license all the intellectual property inside them. From what I understand there are already some testing radios leaked that perform a bit better.

I'm not trying to scare anyone away from the G Nex -- if you put up with the first few buggy builds you'll end up with the best ICS phone ever made, and the best device on Verizon until they ever release a new Nexus. It's just hard for some people to do that, especially if the rely on their phone.

Which is in line with my previous statement. There are a lot of people with no issues, and a lot of people with many issues. Luck of the draw I guess. It would be hard to believe that ICS works better on some GN's & not others?

I don't see Google updates fixing the radio problems, the multitouch problem, the camera problem, the low volume problem & so on. I also dislike having to keep swapping devices 3 or 4 times hoping to get a properly working unit.

I would like nothing more than to eat my words.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Why don't u just move along get a rzr maxx. Being a nexus owner means being Google's h. I have no issues with. My nexi if I did I found a fix for it.
That is if you believe the software is at fault. I really have no issues with ICS. It's a great O/S.

Which is in line with my previous statement. There are a lot of people with no issues, and a lot of people with many issues. Luck of the draw I guess. It would be hard to believe that ICS works better on some GN's & not others?

I don't see Google updates fixing the radio problems, the multitouch problem, the camera problem, the low volume problem & so on. I also dislike having to keep swapping devices 3 or 4 times hoping to get a properly working unit.

I would like nothing more than to eat my words.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
So when did sprint nexus s get ics. Oh wait they dont have it yet. And we are crying for 4.0.3 for our nexus. Geeze

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping 4.0.3 will fix the lag of typing and when you turn your phone.....this is a bit irritating. But so far I love the phone.....I haven't had one dropped call.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2