Wifi tethering

sisblub

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Is there a place where I can see who is connected to my GN hotspot? I only see the option to configure the password and the option to enable or disable in the settings.

Also, what's wifi direct?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
WiFi Direct = Adhoc.

Haven't used Verizon's hotspot app, but have you tried it yet? It might show up in the forum of a notification in the notification panel drop down.

Edit: Try typing the hotspots IP address into one of your connected devices browser. If it's running a web based config utility; maybe there's more info in there. That's how the MiFi's work.

sisblub

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I've used it, and there is a notification drop down but all that allows me to do is configure the password and turn tethering on or off. There's nowhere for me to see who is actually on my hotspot. And I still don't get what wifi direct = adhoc means

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

hazydave

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
WiFi Direct is very much NOT Ad-hoc mode.

Ad-hoc mode is a very old means mode for direct device to device linking without an access point (AP). This was introduced for basic connections in 802.11b, and essentially frozen at 802.11b specifications. Which means that Ad-hoc is limited to 10Mb/s connections and either open or WEP encryption.

WiFi Direct is something new. The small picture goal is the same as Ad-hoc, forming a direct connection between two devices. But in the big picture, the reason for the connection computer to device connections, the same basic idea as Bluetooth. So I might use WiFi Direct to send an image to a printer or digital picture frame, transfer a video from one phone to another, tether my laptop to my phone, etc.

Wi-Fi Direct uses Ad-hoc for basic discovery -- the two devices rendezvous and share capabilities. At this point, one of them will go into AP mode (Wi-Fi Direct devices have to support AP mode), and they run a Protected Setup, which allows the connection to be secure and full speed, without any need to manually enter passcodes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar