Music Player - doesn't update songs

Asher Schwartz

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
It worked on the HTC Thunderbolt also. I went and cleared the cache, rebooted the phone and everthing was showing up correctly. Thank you for explaining that the phone had to be rebooted. I deleted all of the songs off my phone and added different ones on there and nothing was happening until I cleared the cache and rebooted the phone. Again, thank you for explaining this to everyone in the android community. BTW, this should work with all phones. Not just the Nexus.

Wm7Long

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't delete any media. All it does is delete the phone's media database, which is rebuilt based on the media present when the phone is rebooted. Its a way of 'forcing' your phone to rescan all your media files.

It did delete my current faves playlist, and it took awhile for the metadata (Media Storage data) to update all 109 MBs, but work'd beautifully! Huge thanks to all.

Edit: Have discover'd that if you only add file(s), then a ReStart will suffice. Anything more (such as changing something in the Tag or media itself, even just changing the filename, or deleting the file - when done from outside of the media player), will require you to clear and rebuild your Media Storage data.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
Hello! Just joining this forum. I don't do forums, but I really want to add a certain song to a video I plan to post on Instagram. When I select the music option in the InShot app, it gives me a list of only a small portion of the songs that I have downloaded to my phone. I've tried some of the suggestions mentioned here, but to no avail. And some simply don't apply to my device. I have the Galaxy Note 5. Help!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello! Just joining this forum. I don't do forums, but I really want to add a certain song to a video I plan to post on Instagram. When I select the music option in the InShot app, it gives me a list of only a small portion of the songs that I have downloaded to my phone. I've tried some of the suggestions mentioned here, but to no avail. And some simply don't apply to my device. I have the Galaxy Note 5. Help!

Welcome to Android Central! This is a really old thread for a really old phone, so I suggest you create a new thread for your question, either in the Note5 forum or the General Help forum. Thanks!

Xiaoning101

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
This worked for my ACER tablet... I deleted an album on my SD card but the song titles are still in the list but no longer plays.. So I did "Settings>Apps>All>Media Storage>Clear Data then reboot your phone" and the list got updated and removed those deleted albums.

Thanks! : )