Some screens brighter than others?

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious how the power saving screen technology works when one Nexus is brighter than another.

I have one, and my Mom recently got one too. Her's is brighter than mine. Pros and cons: Mom's has a better lit auto brightness, but the the blacks don't completely turn off like they're supposed to. Wondering if this is a defect or a naturally occurring AMOLED phenomenon.

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I think every AMOLED screen will be slightly different. I keep my brightness at 35%, and I saw my fathers this weekend and he keeps it at 50%. I thought his looked better than mine but I don't want to use the battery.

I would say to adjust the brightness to what suits you. No reason to have the best phone and use a dim screen.

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I think every AMOLED screen will be slightly different. I keep my brightness at 35%, and I saw my fathers this weekend and he keeps it at 50%. I thought his looked better than mine but I don't want to use the battery.

I would say to adjust the brightness to what suits you. No reason to have the best phone and use a dim screen.

Well just to clarify (not that you misunderstood me but I want to clear this up anyway), I mean that setting the two phones to the same percentage results in different brightness. So if mine is set to 35% brightness and my Mom's is set to the same, her's is brighter. It's not getting washed out or anything, but it's definitely noticeable.

I was just concerned that her brighter screen might be using more battery since the blacks show up almost as greys, meaning they aren't turning off and saving power.

0mie

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I have my Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile Nexus at 30% and they all look COMPLETELY different:/ lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

isosunrise

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that too... my launchday Nexus looks brighter than my coworker's new Nexus... on auto, lowest brightness, and brightest setting. I only noticed this looking at the setting menus (brighter as in the black would like like grey sometimes). Colors still look great on both phones. I was just curious too, whether his phone is darker because it was newer or just a different batch?

dimsdale

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I compared my SGN to the floor model SGN at Verizon. I thought that my screen was slighter cooler in color tone (less of a yellow cast on mine). Didn't notice any difference in brightness.

Lakhota

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
My verizon store also had a bit of a yellow tint to it. Didnt like it. Mine has sorta of a slightly blueish tint that I like.

MBeattie

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
AMOLED will drive you nuts if you let it. Each display seems to deffer from the next usually leaving us wondering which is defective. I went through a handful of Nexus S' assuming they were all damaged since none looked exactly like the in store demo. You may also find a few charging cycles will slightly change the way your device looks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol