Handcent, does it work?

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I've never used it but many do. The blurb says it's ready for the GN. It that the consensus? If so what are the cool feature(s) that stand it apart from the stock messenger app? Thanks.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Lots of theming options. Annoying pop up notifications if that's what you like. You can control LED color notifications according to contact, I think.

I think GoSMS is better.

Still, I prefer using the stock messaging app, and that's what I've been using for months.

sherri

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
You can get rid of the "annoying pop-ups" of you want...I use Handcent on my OG Droid because the "native" messenger is ugly (in my opinion...) . I prefer conversation style....

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
i used handcent exclusively on my OG droid and droid X. since getting the nexus though, ive preferred using the stock messenger, as i really like the look and feel of it. the only handcent feature i find myself missing is group messenging.

sisblub

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
i used handcent exclusively on my OG droid and droid X. since getting the nexus though, ive preferred using the stock messenger, as i really like the look and feel of it. the only handcent feature i find myself missing is group messenging.

Same here, used to be a die hard handcent user before the galaxy nexus but now I like the stock messenger better.

I love hand cent. Lots of options. Yea shut the pop ups off.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Actually the only thing I miss about handcent is the popup feature. It allowed me to respond to texts without unlocking the device, which was super quick. Still I don't miss it so much that I would go back, I just love the stock messenger.

jbfuson

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I didnt like the stock on the original droid and never bothered looking at the stock on my x, charge or nexus. Just installed handcent right away.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

ztmike

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
The stock messaging app is ugly as it has ever been. Handcent works great and offers themes which in by itself makes it better..I prefer the iPhone texting look so I have that theme installed.

rgray

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Do not use i love handcent and as of 4 days ago i dled and it worked great until i found out when i sent a text it was being sent to everyone in ur conversation page. It didnt show it was but people were texting me back wondering what i was talking about. Could be an embarrassing experience. Until it updates for ics im loving stock

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I've always used handcent still when nexus came out it wasnt working ics I emailed them they sent me beta to test. After my feed back its been updated twice. Still best one out there. And if u have issues with mms dont fret its hit n miss on stock messaging also.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

anon(470989)

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I use handcent just because the icon is blue, that way I get a nice row of blue icons on the bottom. No idea why Android didn't change their stock icon to blue but instead left it ugly green.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Do not use i love handcent and as of 4 days ago i dled and it worked great until i found out when i sent a text it was being sent to everyone in ur conversation page. It didnt show it was but people were texting me back wondering what i was talking about. Could be an embarrassing experience. Until it updates for ics im loving stock

It's already been updated for ICS. I've used it since I got the device and that's never happened to me.

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I see many users and even the Handcent website says that it allows for individual contact alerts- meaning you can specify an alert when a SMS arrives on a per contact basis. I have been through every setting and menu and cannot find anything in Handcent that allows this. Where is it?

(it would be nice if they posted some kind of user guide. Their FAQ help files do not match the menu structure, so they are useless.)

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
While you're in the conversation with the person tap the button in the top right hand corner and then tap notification settings.

Ok, thanks. Now, how do I set it up if I'm not currently in a conversation with the person? I get emergency pages and have not received one since setting up my Razr. I cannot send the paging service a SMS. I do not want to wait until after the next emergency page to set it up.

Also, is there an option to make the alert repeat until dismissed, or at least repeat a specified number of times or for a specified time? I do not see that either.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok, thanks. Now, how do I set it up if I'm not currently in a conversation with the person? I get emergency pages and have not received one since setting up my Razr. I cannot send the paging service a SMS. I do not want to wait until after the next emergency page to set it up.

Also, is there an option to make the alert repeat until dismissed, or at least repeat a specified number of times or for a specified time? I do not see that either.

You have to start one as far as I know. Hit compose message and input the recipient. Once you've done that, go to the text box and input anything you want and then back out. It should show up as a conversation with a draft in it now. Go back in and then just do what you normally do. You never have to actually send a message. As for the reminders, I don't believe you can do that for just one person but you can set them up for all people under the global notification settings. Maybe he'll add it for individuals in the future.