Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Handcent, does it work?

I've never used it but many do. The blurb says it's ready for the GN. It that the consensus? If so what are the cool feature(s) that stand it apart from the stock messenger app? Thanks.

Default Re: Handcent, does it work?

Lots of theming options. Annoying pop up notifications if that's what you like. You can control LED color notifications according to contact, I think.

I think GoSMS is better.

Still, I prefer using the stock messaging app, and that's what I've been using for months.

You can get rid of the "annoying pop-ups" of you want...I use Handcent on my OG Droid because the "native" messenger is ugly (in my opinion...) . I prefer conversation style....

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

I love hand cent. Lots of options. Yea shut the pop ups off.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName Android 1.5.5

i used handcent exclusively on my OG droid and droid X. since getting the nexus though, ive preferred using the stock messenger, as i really like the look and feel of it. the only handcent feature i find myself missing is group messenging.

Global Posts
    303 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by terpitude71 View Post
    i used handcent exclusively on my OG droid and droid X. since getting the nexus though, ive preferred using the stock messenger, as i really like the look and feel of it. the only handcent feature i find myself missing is group messenging.
    Same here, used to be a die hard handcent user before the galaxy nexus but now I like the stock messenger better.

Quote Originally Posted by jbfuson View Post
    I love hand cent. Lots of options. Yea shut the pop ups off.

Actually the only thing I miss about handcent is the popup feature. It allowed me to respond to texts without unlocking the device, which was super quick. Still I don't miss it so much that I would go back, I just love the stock messenger.

I didnt like the stock on the original droid and never bothered looking at the stock on my x, charge or nexus. Just installed handcent right away.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thanks. Sounds like it's much ado about nothing, I'll leave it alone. The native app seems fine, no big deal.

The stock messaging app is ugly as it has ever been. Handcent works great and offers themes which in by itself makes it better..I prefer the iPhone texting look so I have that theme installed.

Do not use i love handcent and as of 4 days ago i dled and it worked great until i found out when i sent a text it was being sent to everyone in ur conversation page. It didnt show it was but people were texting me back wondering what i was talking about. Could be an embarrassing experience. Until it updates for ics im loving stock

Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,517 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

I've always used handcent still when nexus came out it wasnt working ics I emailed them they sent me beta to test. After my feed back its been updated twice. Still best one out there. And if u have issues with mms dont fret its hit n miss on stock messaging also.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

I use handcent just because the icon is blue, that way I get a nice row of blue icons on the bottom. No idea why Android didn't change their stock icon to blue but instead left it ugly green.

Quote Originally Posted by rgray View Post
    Do not use i love handcent and as of 4 days ago i dled and it worked great until i found out when i sent a text it was being sent to everyone in ur conversation page. It didnt show it was but people were texting me back wondering what i was talking about. Could be an embarrassing experience. Until it updates for ics im loving stock

It's already been updated for ICS. I've used it since I got the device and that's never happened to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycemiskel View Post
    It's already been updated for ICS. I've used it since I got the device and that's never happened to me.

Thanks I'll give it a try again

Banned

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    ROM
    Lithium

I use it and it is great.

Global Posts
    752 Global Posts

i have used it since the day the Dinc came out. It has been great and very customizable.

I see many users and even the Handcent website says that it allows for individual contact alerts- meaning you can specify an alert when a SMS arrives on a per contact basis. I have been through every setting and menu and cannot find anything in Handcent that allows this. Where is it?

(it would be nice if they posted some kind of user guide. Their FAQ help files do not match the menu structure, so they are useless.)

While you're in the conversation with the person tap the button in the top right hand corner and then tap notification settings.

While you're in the conversation with the person tap the button in the top right hand corner and then tap notification settings.
    Ok, thanks. Now, how do I set it up if I'm not currently in a conversation with the person? I get emergency pages and have not received one since setting up my Razr. I cannot send the paging service a SMS. I do not want to wait until after the next emergency page to set it up.

Also, is there an option to make the alert repeat until dismissed, or at least repeat a specified number of times or for a specified time? I do not see that either.

Quote Originally Posted by VTX1800N1 View Post
    Ok, thanks. Now, how do I set it up if I'm not currently in a conversation with the person? I get emergency pages and have not received one since setting up my Razr. I cannot send the paging service a SMS. I do not want to wait until after the next emergency page to set it up.

Also, is there an option to make the alert repeat until dismissed, or at least repeat a specified number of times or for a specified time? I do not see that either.
    You have to start one as far as I know. Hit compose message and input the recipient. Once you've done that, go to the text box and input anything you want and then back out. It should show up as a conversation with a draft in it now. Go back in and then just do what you normally do. You never have to actually send a message. As for the reminders, I don't believe you can do that for just one person but you can set them up for all people under the global notification settings. Maybe he'll add it for individuals in the future.

ChompSMS is the only one that worked with Lightflow for SMS alerts. When they added adds I went back to stock.

Global Posts
    569 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP 25/Imoseyon lean 2.2

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty-Bird View Post
    ChompSMS is the only one that worked with Lightflow for SMS alerts. When they added adds I went back to stock.
    Handcent works with Lightflow for me. It does a great job of controlling my led.

Quote Originally Posted by ztmike View Post
    The stock messaging app is ugly as it has ever been. Handcent works great and offers themes which in by itself makes it better..I prefer the iPhone texting look so I have that theme installed.
    totally agree with you.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

So let me get this straight: Handcent makes the thread sort of look like the iPhone's SMS app, with the bubble things for each person? I like that look (my wife has an iPhone). I also like the iPhone's notification of new txts on the homescreen. Does Handcent do that too? Just curious.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast