Understanding stock headphone / ringer options

tlabetti

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
(I tried to search but couldn't find a clear answer, mods please remove if this is in a FAQ or something)

I'm not sure if I can figure out how this phone works out of the box in regards to headphones and the ringer.

#1 If I have the headphones plugged in and Silent Mode is off ( Sound is ON ) will the phone's speaker ringer when a call comes in or a notification is received? I think so

#2 If I have the headphones plugged in and Silent Mode is on (Sound is OFF) will there be any audible ringer through the headphones when a call comes in or a notification is received? I don't think so

Beyond the stock settings, what apps can be used to change the behavior of ringer when headphones are plugged in.

Thanks

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I just tested this and here is how my Nexus works.

#1 -- Headphones plugged in, Sound ON. I get the ringer on the external speaker as well as my headhpones.

#2 -- Headphones plugged in, Sound OFF. I get a visual alert that the phone is ringing but no sound on the phone or in my headphones.

I'm not sure if there are settings to change those, but out of the box, this is the way mine works.

tlabetti

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I just tested this and here is how my Nexus works.

#1 -- Headphones plugged in, Sound ON. I get the ringer on the external speaker as well as my headhpones.

#2 -- Headphones plugged in, Sound OFF. I get a visual alert that the phone is ringing but no sound on the phone or in my headphones.

I'm not sure if there are settings to change those, but out of the box, this is the way mine works.

Thanks for confirming.

Does anyone know of an app that can help.

I commute on a bus, I listen to the headphones on my commute. I'd love to have the audible notifications come through the headphones and the external ringer stay silent. Surely this is a common request.

Thanks

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I recommend the S9 Motororokr Bluetooth headphones. I use these in the gym so I don't get clothes lined by the ear bud cord. Also find them helpful in noisy work vans. Not only can you hear calls and notifications but you can answer and talk through them. Also nice for using the onboard controls to skip adds in podcasts.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

tlabetti

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
It would seem to me that it would just make sense, plug the headset in and all sounds are routed through the headset. Is this an Android/ICS issue or is it just on this phone?

Again, does anyone know if there are any apps to accomplish this? Volume+ etc?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke