Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RyMac04
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Something keeping my phone awake

Anyone have a similar issue? Phone was in airplane mode for a couple hours. Here's the graph

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Default Re: Something keeping my phone awake

Do you have any apps installed that could be cauding this? I have the same problem.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Nothing I know of. There aren't any listed in the battery info that are taking tons of battery life

As noted in a lot threads on a lot of forums, there are some phones that have a problem with the Android OS and the "Keep Awake" time. There seems to be an issue with some phones not truly going to sleep when the power button is used to turn off the screen as opposed to letting the screen turn off automatically when the screen times out. This results in a very high time in the Settings/Battery/Android OS/Keep Awake menu.

In stock form and with every rom that I have installed, my "Keep Awake" time was always about 50-60% of my total battery time. If the phone had been off charger for 8 hours, I'd have 4-6 hours of Andorid OS "Keep Awake" time. This was true even if the phone had been in my pocket unused and seems to be exacerbated by my habit of turning the screen off manually with the power button every single time. I used to never let the screen timeout.

There seems to be two "fixes" according to Franco (of kernel fame). One concerns the camera. Seems the camera is started and then turned off during startup. But in so doing, it leaves a sensor active and this prevents the phone from actually going to sleep. So he recommends starting and using the back button to go back to the home screen. The other is DRM Protected Content. He recommends this be disabled or frozen. A third, that I don't believe I recall seeing him recommend but that I have seen on his thread at XDA (down for blackout right now) is to disable Maps.

I have done all three of those and my Keep Awake time has gone from 40-50% of my total battery time down to a few percentage points. I mean if I don't use my phone it will now show less than a minute of Keep Awake time per hour.

You can also test if you have the Keep Awake bug by setting your Screen Off time to 30 seconds and then not using your Power Button to put the phone asleep. Just let the time out turn off the screen.

Good luck 
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

What apps would have DRM protected content on the nexus.

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

still having this problem after a factory reset

Regular lawnmower man...

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Google+ was a pretty big culprit of this at launch. Dunno if it still is. Try disabling that.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by MowDownJoe View Post
    Google+ was a pretty big culprit of this at launch. Dunno if it still is. Try disabling that.
    Google+ and gtalk are both disabled.

ROM
    stock for now

i was on AOKP 17 and i was not having this issue up until the night before i flashed AOKP 21. badass battery monitor says it is the kernal that is drawing all the power and that the phone has woken it up the most. download badass battery monitor and it will tell you what is keeping it awake. now just to figure out some way to stop it...
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

This app is awesome. Do you have it set up for scaled calculations

ROM
    stock for now

nah, i havent messed around with it that much yet just to see that my kernal is using the majority of my battery...
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

This app is awesome. Do you have it set up for scaled calculations

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

It looks like the kernal is taking up most of the power overnight.

But it looks like maps is waking the phone up a lot. And it wasn't running in the background.

For Stock Users has anyone found any other ways to reduce the Keep Awake Time? I am still getting 40-50% keep awake time. Is the camera still the issue or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    For Stock Users has anyone found any other ways to reduce the Keep Awake Time? I am still getting 40-50% keep awake time. Is the camera still the issue or something else?
    Go to settings and data and see which apps are using data

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    I've heard the BT module affects keep awake time. Try toggling it once and see if that helps.

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

I just downloaded the app and found that in the course of 9 hours of predominately sitting in my pocket my phone killed 60% of the battery. During that time my maps application woke the phone up 514 times. I shut off the automatic report my location feature in maps and I'm hoping that makes a difference. Anyone have any experience with this?

^ what app did you download?

Global Posts
    304 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyshinta View Post
    still having this problem after a factory reset
    Click to view quoted image

Isn't the primary concern for having prolonged awake times for the drain on battery life? It looks like after 8 hours you have had very little battery drain. So what's the problem again?

BB Convert

Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.0.4

Bumping this rather than starting a new thread...

I'm getting really close to rooting my GNex simply for better battery life/power usage. But I want to wait on the official update before I do so.

Anyways, I've been experiencing very poor battery life. I can't go out on the weekend without my phone dying and it's getting frustrating. Seems I have the "keep awake" bug. Here are some battery screen shots to draw a conclusion from.

Thanks for any help/advice.

why is my keep awake at 33 mins with a screen on of 16 mins?

Google services/contacts waking device 104 in just over an hour? My google account is set to sync Calender, Contacts, Gmail, and Music. I cannot find any options to change the frequency of this.

Let me know if you'd like to see any other screens. I'm using Badass Battery for the extra screenshots.

I'd really like advice on solutions without having to root, but if nothing else, any ROM/Kernal combo suggestions for me?
    BB Convert

Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.0.4

hump day bump day
    dmmarck likes this.