Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes
    boe

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

Default Re: Galaxy Nexus Workarounds, Tips, and Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Search Window on every Home Screen: The top 1/5 of each screen is now a search bar.
    • Workaround 1: LauncherPro, ADWLauncher or Nova Launcher let you use a 1x1 Search icon just on the pages you like.
    • Workaround 2: Settings > Manage apps > Google Search > Disable. Download Google Search from the market and use it instead.
    Hello,

I disabled google search - it took away the google search but you can't use that space. Now I can't enable it - - no longer listed under apps.

Found it - disabled apps go to the bottom of the list
    Last edited by boe; 03-10-2012 at 01:12 PM.

does anyone know how I turn off the retro locking? where the screen closes like an old tv

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Turn off animations

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post
    Google Music sounds like their version of Apple's iCloud iTunes Synch (or whatever they call it). The Apple deal costs $25/year and they don't upload all the songs, just the tags. Then you can download whatever music you want offline on your iPhone song by song.
    Google beat them to the punch on this one.

is there anything i can do about not being able to log into words with friends via my facebook login?

Anyone know what Removed Apps is? I found this under WIFI data usage. not a big deal only 171K but what is it and why would apps that are removed have any data usage or show up on this screen?

ROM
    JellyBeans

Did you remove any app recently?
    My thought is data was transferred and then you uninstalled that app, but it is still recent enough for it to show up.

I would reboot and keep an eye out for it.
    Sent Via..Raven from Kings Landing
    BB Storm 1 > Samsung Droid Charge > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > Samsung Galaxy Note II & LG G Pad 8.3

ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by bakerbert View Post
    Did you remove any app recently?
    My thought is data was transferred and then you uninstalled that app, but it is still recent enough for it to show up.

I would reboot and keep an eye out for it.
    It just shows what data a recently unistalled app used. It should stay on there until your next cycle begins. That way at the end of the month you know where all you data was used. Obviously won't show what app it was since it was unistalled.

ROM
    Stock 4.2

Thank so much for that! I found it useful... even though I technically only used one of the tips... but knowledge is POWER... but to the point...

Your tip about search bar on every home screen, the work around number 2, it doesn't work. The thing is that Google search is unavailable for me to download in the Play store. It's not a problem for me, well, not one I would resort to using a third party launcher to get rid of at least (work around number 1), but I just thought you'd like to know...
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hat Thing View Post
    Thank so much for that! I found it useful... even though I technically only used one of the tips... but knowledge is POWER... but to the point...

Your tip about search bar on every home screen, the work around number 2, it doesn't work. The thing is that Google search is unavailable for me to download in the Play store. It's not a problem for me, well, not one I would resort to using a third party launcher to get rid of at least (work around number 1), but I just thought you'd like to know...
    Needs to be added back as a widget

ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

What annoyed me with removing the search bar, is that it becomes wasted space to me. Once its removed you can't use that area of the screen. With that odd shaped open space between the notification bar and the apps makes it look bad, in my opinion. Unless you use a custom launcher of course.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    What annoyed me with removing the search bar, is that it becomes wasted space to me. Once its removed you can't use that area of the screen. With that odd shaped open space between the notification bar and the apps makes it look bad, in my opinion.

True.. Nova Launcher fixes that if you feel like switching launchers (exact look of stock but with extra features)... but I agree.. the stock launcher should have had the option to use the wasted space.

Unhappy Re: Galaxy Nexus Workarounds, Tips, and Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by mlibbey View Post
    Firstly,

T
    I wanted to see my home screen wihtout the google search bar at the top( i have a Galaxy Nexus) so i used your tip..

Workaround 2: Settings > Manage apps > Google Search > Disable. Download Google Search from the market and use it instead.

and now its gone.. but I want it back! the market says I have it downloaded but its not anywhere in my app drawer or in my app drawer in settings(Downloaded, Running, All)

how do i get it back??
    I also did this... should have read the entire thread before taking this bad advice! I disabled Google Search and can't download it because it's already downloaded... but it doesn't show up in my app drawer, app drawer in settings, or in my widgets. Do I have to do a factory reset to get it back?

Quote Originally Posted by Cherylgrrl View Post
    I also did this... should have read the entire thread before taking this bad advice! I disabled Google Search and can't download it because it's already downloaded... but it doesn't show up in my app drawer, app drawer in settings, or in my widgets. Do I have to do a factory reset to get it back?
    It should be at the bottom of your app list in settings.

there are certian websites that i am unable to log into - my bank for example with the stock browser the only browser to let me sign in with out an error is opera is this something i can fix in the stock browser?

Also in certain text fields i do not get a spell check option, will changing my keyboard fix this?

I have noticed something cool about face unlock...
    What REALLY seems to help along with" improve face matching" is blinking when it seems like its not recognizing you on unlock. I heard rumors they would make blinking mandatory to keep it safe from using a pic (blink to unlock has a nice ring to it) well it seems that blinking already helps quite a bit!

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Hi and thanks for this wonderful guide!!

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mcdaking84 View Post
    does anyone know how I turn off the retro locking? where the screen closes like an old tv
    Settings > Developers options

Change the first three items to 0.5 from 1.0.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galaxy Nexus Workarounds, Tips, and Tricks-uploadfromtaptalk1350345947509.jpg  
    T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (rooted, stock)
    Follow me on Twitter - @dustrho

If you long-press the account title header in an Exchange mail account, it will open up a menu showing the two most recent mail folders you looked at (i.e. "Drafts" and "Sent" ) and a third menu option to "Show all folders". Your Inbox is always at the top of this menu no matter what folder you are in.

If you do the same thing in G-mail, it opens an identical menu showing the three most recent "labels" and an option to "Show all labels".
    Last edited by Inishatr; 10-27-2012 at 01:56 AM.

The stock Android contacts app, People, is missing the birthday field.

I tried installing an alternate contacts app, like Contacts+, which says it handles birthdays, but there still isn't a birthday field. When I edit a contact's info, the screen just looks like the default stock People app, so it appears the Contacts+ app is limited by the stock contacts system not supporting a birthday field. Can someone suggest a solution/workaround? Thanks.

Global Posts
    217 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lets_go_android View Post
    The stock Android contacts app, People, is missing the birthday field.

I tried installing an alternate contacts app, like Contacts+, which says it handles birthdays, but there still isn't a birthday field. When I edit a contact's info, the screen just looks like the default stock People app, so it appears the Contacts+ app is limited by the stock contacts system not supporting a birthday field. Can someone suggest a solution/workaround? Thanks.
    Contacts>Name>Edit>Add Another Field>Event>Pick Date>Done!
    Galaxy Nexus Workarounds, Tips, and Tricks-screenshot_2012-11-02-15-04-15.jpgGalaxy Nexus Workarounds, Tips, and Tricks-screenshot_2012-11-02-15-04-29.jpgGalaxy Nexus Workarounds, Tips, and Tricks-screenshot_2012-11-02-15-04-38.jpgGalaxy Nexus Workarounds, Tips, and Tricks-screenshot_2012-11-02-15-04-51.jpgGalaxy Nexus Workarounds, Tips, and Tricks-screenshot_2012-11-02-15-04-57.jpg
    Thanked by:

Ah, I see! Thanks for the screenshots, that made it really clear!

So, Google's Contacts has the birthday field, but my contacts had been set to sync with the VZW Backup Assistant, and that made some of those additional fields (e.g. Events) not show up in that menu. Don't know what that should be, since I can look at my contacts on vzw.com and it does have a birthday field there and I've synched/backedup the two many times. Odd. Thanks again for you quick and very clear answer, Wicket!

Global Posts
    217 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lets_go_android View Post
    Ah, I see! Thanks for the screenshots, that made it really clear!

So, Google's Contacts has the birthday field, but my contacts had been set to sync with the VZW Backup Assistant, and that made some of those additional fields (e.g. Events) not show up in that menu. Don't know what that should be, since I can look at my contacts on vzw.com and it does have a birthday field there and I've synched/backedup the two many times. Odd. Thanks again for you quick and very clear answer, Wicket!
    no problem, glad it helped!
    best thing you can do for yourself and everyone should do this IMHO, is export all your contacts from vzw backup assistant and import them into GMail and manage all them there. they live update back and forth between device and gmail and you never have to worry about losing your contacts. Anyways, unless you just really don't want to do this for some reason it is the best option I think.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Wicket View Post
    no problem, glad it helped!
    best thing you can do for yourself and everyone should do this IMHO, is export all your contacts from vzw backup assistant and import them into GMail and manage all them there. they live update back and forth between device and gmail and you never have to worry about losing your contacts. Anyways, unless you just really don't want to do this for some reason it is the best option I think.
    Yep, you're right. Sticking with the Google system sounds like the way to go. Thanks again.
    Wicket likes this.

Anyone besides me getting signed out if their Google account? Very strange. Getting a message in NY notification bar. A triangle with an exclamation point. Saying to try again later.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast