Galaxy Nexus Workarounds, Tips, and Tricks

armada915

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
Would anyone know how to sync songs with iTunes? I have a lot of playlists in there which is why I want to sync through iTUNES. Thanks

I use "Google Music". You need to login to google music and download the music manager. Install it on the machine where you have your iTunes library and follow the setup instructions. It will ask you if you want to connect it to iTunes somwhere along the install process. After installation is complete, it will begin to "sync" (upload) your itunes music to the "Google music cloud". You can store up to 20,000 songs for free. There are some limitations and the upload process takes a while (took my library 2 days to upload) but its worth it. Be sure and go through the settings in google music on the GNex so you can save some of your music on your device when there is no data connection available. I just created a playlist and downloaded that to my GNex for "Offline Listening". I have an old unlimited data plan so I dont have to worry about going over. Google Music can eat through your data pretty quick.

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I use "Google Music". You need to login to google music and download the music manager. Install it on the machine where you have your iTunes library and follow the setup instructions. It will ask you if you want to connect it to iTunes somwhere along the install process. After installation is complete, it will begin to "sync" (upload) your itunes music to the "Google music cloud". You can store up to 20,000 songs for free. There are some limitations and the upload process takes a while (took my library 2 days to upload) but its worth it. Be sure and go through the settings in google music on the GNex so you can save some of your music on your device when there is no data connection available. I just created a playlist and downloaded that to my GNex for "Offline Listening". I have an old unlimited data plan so I dont have to worry about going over. Google Music can eat through your data pretty quick.

scratch what I said.. ^ this is the best way to do it! was only thinking about wanting to sync music onto the phone memory only at the time I replied but this is the best option available.

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Google Music sounds like their version of Apple's iCloud iTunes Synch (or whatever they call it). The Apple deal costs $25/year and they don't upload all the songs, just the tags. Then you can download whatever music you want offline on your iPhone song by song.

boe

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Search Window on every Home Screen: The top 1/5 of each screen is now a search bar.
• Workaround 1: LauncherPro, ADWLauncher or Nova Launcher let you use a 1x1 Search icon just on the pages you like.
• Workaround 2: Settings > Manage apps > Google Search > Disable. Download Google Search from the market and use it instead.

Hello,

I disabled google search - it took away the google search but you can't use that space. Now I can't enable it - - no longer listed under apps.

Found it - disabled apps go to the bottom of the list

Last edited:

cbbartley

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Google Music sounds like their version of Apple's iCloud iTunes Synch (or whatever they call it). The Apple deal costs $25/year and they don't upload all the songs, just the tags. Then you can download whatever music you want offline on your iPhone song by song.

Google beat them to the punch on this one.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know what Removed Apps is? I found this under WIFI data usage. not a big deal only 171K but what is it and why would apps that are removed have any data usage or show up on this screen?

bakerbert

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Did you remove any app recently?
My thought is data was transferred and then you uninstalled that app, but it is still recent enough for it to show up.

I would reboot and keep an eye out for it.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Did you remove any app recently?
My thought is data was transferred and then you uninstalled that app, but it is still recent enough for it to show up.

I would reboot and keep an eye out for it.
It just shows what data a recently unistalled app used. It should stay on there until your next cycle begins. That way at the end of the month you know where all you data was used. Obviously won't show what app it was since it was unistalled.

Mr Hat Thing

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Thank so much for that! I found it useful... even though I technically only used one of the tips... but knowledge is POWER... but to the point...

Your tip about search bar on every home screen, the work around number 2, it doesn't work. The thing is that Google search is unavailable for me to download in the Play store. It's not a problem for me, well, not one I would resort to using a third party launcher to get rid of at least (work around number 1), but I just thought you'd like to know...

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Thank so much for that! I found it useful... even though I technically only used one of the tips... but knowledge is POWER... but to the point...

Your tip about search bar on every home screen, the work around number 2, it doesn't work. The thing is that Google search is unavailable for me to download in the Play store. It's not a problem for me, well, not one I would resort to using a third party launcher to get rid of at least (work around number 1), but I just thought you'd like to know...

Needs to be added back as a widget
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...oid.googlequicksearchbox&hl=en&token=Br-JkjdX

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...1aryz.products.icssearchwidget&token=yLJzDook

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
What annoyed me with removing the search bar, is that it becomes wasted space to me. Once its removed you can't use that area of the screen. With that odd shaped open space between the notification bar and the apps makes it look bad, in my opinion. Unless you use a custom launcher of course.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
What annoyed me with removing the search bar, is that it becomes wasted space to me. Once its removed you can't use that area of the screen. With that odd shaped open space between the notification bar and the apps makes it look bad, in my opinion.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

True.. Nova Launcher fixes that if you feel like switching launchers (exact look of stock but with extra features)... but I agree.. the stock launcher should have had the option to use the wasted space.

Cherylgrrl

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Firstly,

T
I wanted to see my home screen wihtout the google search bar at the top( i have a Galaxy Nexus) so i used your tip..

? Workaround 2: Settings > Manage apps > Google Search > Disable. Download Google Search from the market and use it instead.

and now its gone.. but I want it back! the market says I have it downloaded but its not anywhere in my app drawer or in my app drawer in settings(Downloaded, Running, All)

how do i get it back??

I also did this... should have read the entire thread before taking this bad advice! I disabled Google Search and can't download it because it's already downloaded... but it doesn't show up in my app drawer, app drawer in settings, or in my widgets. Do I have to do a factory reset to get it back?

maricopa1963

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I also did this... should have read the entire thread before taking this bad advice! I disabled Google Search and can't download it because it's already downloaded... but it doesn't show up in my app drawer, app drawer in settings, or in my widgets. Do I have to do a factory reset to get it back?

It should be at the bottom of your app list in settings.

hillary.campfield

May 4, 2012
Visit site
there are certian websites that i am unable to log into - my bank for example with the stock browser the only browser to let me sign in with out an error is opera is this something i can fix in the stock browser?

Also in certain text fields i do not get a spell check option, will changing my keyboard fix this?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance