Galaxy Nexus Workarounds, Tips, and Tricks

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed something cool about face unlock...
What REALLY seems to help along with" improve face matching" is blinking when it seems like its not recognizing you on unlock. I heard rumors they would make blinking mandatory to keep it safe from using a pic (blink to unlock has a nice ring to it) well it seems that blinking already helps quite a bit!

Inishatr

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
If you long-press the account title header in an Exchange mail account, it will open up a menu showing the two most recent mail folders you looked at (i.e. "Drafts" and "Sent" ) and a third menu option to "Show all folders". Your Inbox is always at the top of this menu no matter what folder you are in.

If you do the same thing in G-mail, it opens an identical menu showing the three most recent "labels" and an option to "Show all labels".

Last edited:

lets_go_android

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
The stock Android contacts app, People, is missing the birthday field.

I tried installing an alternate contacts app, like Contacts+, which says it handles birthdays, but there still isn't a birthday field. When I edit a contact's info, the screen just looks like the default stock People app, so it appears the Contacts+ app is limited by the stock contacts system not supporting a birthday field. Can someone suggest a solution/workaround? Thanks.

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
The stock Android contacts app, People, is missing the birthday field.

I tried installing an alternate contacts app, like Contacts+, which says it handles birthdays, but there still isn't a birthday field. When I edit a contact's info, the screen just looks like the default stock People app, so it appears the Contacts+ app is limited by the stock contacts system not supporting a birthday field. Can someone suggest a solution/workaround? Thanks.

Contacts>Name>Edit>Add Another Field>Event>Pick Date>Done!
Screenshot_2012-11-02-15-04-15.jpgScreenshot_2012-11-02-15-04-29.jpgScreenshot_2012-11-02-15-04-38.jpgScreenshot_2012-11-02-15-04-51.jpgScreenshot_2012-11-02-15-04-57.jpg

lets_go_android

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Ah, I see! Thanks for the screenshots, that made it really clear!

So, Google's Contacts has the birthday field, but my contacts had been set to sync with the VZW Backup Assistant, and that made some of those additional fields (e.g. Events) not show up in that menu. Don't know what that should be, since I can look at my contacts on vzw.com and it does have a birthday field there and I've synched/backedup the two many times. Odd. Thanks again for you quick and very clear answer, Wicket!

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Ah, I see! Thanks for the screenshots, that made it really clear!

So, Google's Contacts has the birthday field, but my contacts had been set to sync with the VZW Backup Assistant, and that made some of those additional fields (e.g. Events) not show up in that menu. Don't know what that should be, since I can look at my contacts on vzw.com and it does have a birthday field there and I've synched/backedup the two many times. Odd. Thanks again for you quick and very clear answer, Wicket!

no problem, glad it helped! :)
best thing you can do for yourself and everyone should do this IMHO, is export all your contacts from vzw backup assistant and import them into GMail and manage all them there. they live update back and forth between device and gmail and you never have to worry about losing your contacts. Anyways, unless you just really don't want to do this for some reason it is the best option I think. :)

lets_go_android

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
no problem, glad it helped! :)
best thing you can do for yourself and everyone should do this IMHO, is export all your contacts from vzw backup assistant and import them into GMail and manage all them there. they live update back and forth between device and gmail and you never have to worry about losing your contacts. Anyways, unless you just really don't want to do this for some reason it is the best option I think. :)
Yep, you're right. Sticking with the Google system sounds like the way to go. Thanks again.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Anyone besides me getting signed out if their Google account? Very strange. Getting a message in NY notification bar. A triangle with an exclamation point. Saying to try again later.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
So what is this anyway ? Never happened on other androids besides my OG Droid.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353571604427.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353571604427.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 93

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1