Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By svenEDGE
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Auto capitalization problem?

Has anyone else noticed that more often than not you have to hit the backspace key in order to get the first letter in an SMS capitalized (unless the letter is I)? It does auto capitalize on a regular basis but there are many times I go to start a new SMS and it seems to think I'm already mid sentence. I am running Bugless Beast, so maybe that has something to do with it but I seem to remember it doing the same thing when I was not running a custom ROM.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    What I had...
    What I have...
    Ebony/Black/Black Moto X
    Nexus 7 2013
    iPhone 5c

X X X
    Thanked by:
    captain_dl likes this.

Global Posts
    186 Global Posts

Stock, does same thing, but not always.
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Auto capitalization problem?

Quote Originally Posted by svenEDGE View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that more often than not you have to hit the backspace key in order to get the first letter in an SMS capitalized (unless the letter is I)? It does auto capitalize on a regular basis but there are many times I go to start a new SMS and it seems to think I'm already mid sentence. I am running Bugless Beast, so maybe that has something to do with it but I seem to remember it doing the same thing when I was not running a custom ROM.

YES! It drives me nuts! I've had it happen with stock 4.0.2 and with all of the 4.0.3 based ROMs I've tried. I hope there will be a fix soon.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Yeah it drives me crazy. I think I'll write Google and tell them about it. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me.

What I had...
    What I have...
    Ebony/Black/Black Moto X
    Nexus 7 2013
    iPhone 5c

X X X

Not really helping but Swipe had no issues with it
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

haha yea sometimes my phone puts caps on the strangest words. It did "simmer" the other day, not a big deal, just an amusing bug i think, could be worse
    Thanked by:
    Nexus Ninja

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Same thing for me too. I'm running stock 4.0.2 and it's driving me nuts too. I thought I was the only one that was a stickler for caps. LOL
    Palm Treo 700w ~> Palm Treo 700wx ~> Blackberry Storm 9530 ~> Motorola Droid X ~> Samsung Galaxy Nexus ~> HTC Evo 4G LTE ~> Samsung Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by captain_dl View Post
    I thought I was the only one that was a stickler for caps. LOL
    Haha no way. This is quite a bother to me.

What I had...
    What I have...
    Ebony/Black/Black Moto X
    Nexus 7 2013
    iPhone 5c

X X X

Been using SwiftKey x since day one. So I haven't seen this issue. The predictions are pretty accurate best keyboard I've used.
    Thanked by:

i haven't had this problem, but the darn thing doesn't wake up and make me breakfast in the morning so i may throw it through vzw's window like the discount tire commercial.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by CallerHoller View Post
    Been using SwiftKey x since day one. So I haven't seen this issue. The predictions are pretty accurate best keyboard I've used.
    SwiftKey is awesome! There was just something I didn't like about it. Whatever that was doesn't come to mind right now but overall I love the stock keyboard.

What I had...
    What I have...
    Ebony/Black/Black Moto X
    Nexus 7 2013
    iPhone 5c

X X X
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by DancesWithFarts View Post
    i haven't had this problem, but the darn thing doesn't wake up and make me breakfast in the morning so i may throw it through vzw's window like the discount tire commercial.
    Mine is okay at making breakfast but getting it to clean up is like pulling teeth!

What I had...
    What I have...
    Ebony/Black/Black Moto X
    Nexus 7 2013
    iPhone 5c

X X X

I figured it out!!! When you are in text mode and your android keyboard is open, hit the input options button which is just to the left of the microphone. (a funny looking circle). Select Android keyboard settings, and Auto-capitalization is one of the options. Click it and you should be home free.

Actually, this doesn't work for me. There is no symbol to the left of the microphone. I did notice from the settings menu I already have auto-cap checked. So, this annoying problem persists with no response from Google.

I use the voice recognition feature of the Samsung keyboard and I found that during texting, it will auto capitalize the first letter in the sentence, but it won't when emailing. I have auto-capitalize the first letter checked in all of the settings, but the problem continues. If I click to the left of the first word, I will get the suggested word capitalized, so it knows!