Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google wallet available on the market. Kinda..

You can now install wallet through the market. With a very easy work around. Now it is recognized as an App! Meaning you'll start getting future automatic updates. Check out droid-life for instrctions. I had the .apk version and it updated it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Google wallet available on the market. Kinda..-screenshot_2012-02-02-21-41-13.jpg  
    Thanked by 3:
    Poseign likes this.

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Default Re: Google wallet available on the market. Kinda..

That was going to be my question after reading the article...whether or not I had to uninstall my sideloaded Wallet app first...
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I didn't. Figured if it didn't work, I still had the apk to fall back on. It still said that "It's not available for my carrier" as it downloaded and updated it.
    Thanked by:

there's a workaround for getting google wallet of the marketplace over at droid-life

took me about 10 tries to get it. damn near bricked my phone when i activated it. if it happens again, i'm uninstalling it...

What version was the old apk? I just installed through the market and I didn't check before hand. Just curious between the different versions. Thanks
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by klou View Post
    What version was the old apk? I just installed through the market and I didn't check before hand. Just curious between the different versions. Thanks
    I didn't check the .apk version either before I installed. I did go back to the market and I was pleased to see that google recogizes my GN to be compatible. Despite what vzw says
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Google wallet available on the market. Kinda..-screenshot_2012-02-03-08-51-15.jpg  
    Mobile Enthusiast

Global Posts
    675 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB B1/Franco M5

Quote Originally Posted by doogie1 View Post
    You can now install wallet through the market. With a very easy work around. Now it is recognized as an App! Meaning you'll start getting future automatic updates. Check out droid-life for instrctions. I had the .apk version and it updated it.
    I decided I was going to check this forum quick last night before I went to bed when I saw this. Excellent find, my friend. The APK that I side loaded for wallet was so damn laggy, updating to this one made it a LOT smoother, and hopefully it means it stays up to date now

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by doogie1 View Post
    I didn't check the .apk version either before I installed. I did go back to the market and I was pleased to see that google recogizes my GN to be compatible. Despite what vzw says
    Any idea why mine says galaxy nexus and left out Verizon? Just curious

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Google wallet available on the market. Kinda..-uploadfromtaptalk1328280274434.jpg  
    Last edited by Desmond82; 02-03-2012 at 08:51 AM.
    Mobile Enthusiast

Global Posts
    675 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB B1/Franco M5

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond82 View Post
    Any idea why mine says galaxy nexus and left out Verizon? Just curious

With the browser version of the marketplace you have the option to name the devices you have connected to your gmail account. That's just what he named his more than likely. Default for the Galaxy Nexus is "Galaxy Nexus"
    Thanked by:

Nice this works

Is this still available in the Market? I just did a search and couldn't find it. I side loaded my current version and was just checking to see if this was newer or not.

--Sent From Transformer Prime
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by Nex2knotN View Post
    Is this still available in the Market? I just did a search and couldn't find it. I side loaded my current version and was just checking to see if this was newer or not.

--Sent From Transformer Prime
    Yes it is..

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by DancesWithFarts View Post
    took me about 10 tries to get it. damn near bricked my phone when i activated it. if it happens again, i'm uninstalling it...
    It's seemed to go okay for me. The tough part for me was following the youtube video on my Xoom and doing what I needed to do on the phone.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

I wonder if VZW will be able to find a way to block this too.

Speaking of which where is ISIS?

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

I just tested mine out. It works great.

I have to say I'm always impressed when people find these types of work around for our devices.

Sent from one of the following: Galaxy Nexus, Bionic or Xoom using Tapatalk.
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post
    It's seemed to go okay for me. The tough part for me was following the youtube video on my Xoom and doing what I needed to do on the phone.

yeah it hasn't happened since, but i ended up uninstalling it anyway. after thinking about it, the more places my cc info is accessible from, the less comfortable i am lol

i don't want to wake up one day and hear in the news hackers stole millions of cc numbers from google wallet lol

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

yeah it hasn't happened since, but i ended up uninstalling it anyway. after thinking about it, the more places my cc info is accessible from, the less comfortable i am lol

i don't want to wake up one day and hear in the news hackers stole millions of cc numbers from google wallet lol
    I don't blame you. I've been using gift cards for that reason.

Just tried it out and it worked great. I loved the look on the faces if the cashier and the people in line. "did you just pay with your phone?" Great!

I don't blame you. I've been using gift cards for that reason.

have you used those on google wallet? doesn't it only work with mastercards right now?

thanks

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

have you used those on google wallet? doesn't it only work with mastercards right now?

thanks
    I load the funds that I have on the gift cards onto the Google prepaid card.

It's nice because even if I don't have my wallet I can still buy food at jack in the box and etc. using my phone. They don't ask for id or anything.

I load the funds that I have on the gift cards onto the Google prepaid card.

It's nice because even if I don't have my wallet I can still buy food at jack in the box and etc. using my phone. They don't ask for id or anything.

hmmmm, very interesting. hadn't thought of gift cards. so, apparently google wallet isn't MasterCard specific, or are you using mastercard gift cards?

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

hmmmm, very interesting. hadn't thought of gift cards. so, apparently google wallet isn't MasterCard specific, or are you using mastercard gift cards?
    It is Mastercard specific, Citi Mastercard specific. But, Google has a virtual prepaid card that you can add money too.

Sent from one of the following: Galaxy Nexus, Bionic or Xoom using Tapatalk.
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air

Has anyone else used this method to get Google Wallet and have the application NOT work for them? I already had the apk sideloaded on my Nexus and it worked like a charm. I then downloaded this market version to update it, and now the app does NOT work! I can access it, but when I attempt to actually use it to pay for something, it just says its initalizing and freezes there. Going to uninstall now and hope I can get the apk on here again!
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by Hud3500 View Post
    Has anyone else used this method to get Google Wallet and have the application NOT work for them? I already had the apk sideloaded on my Nexus and it worked like a charm. I then downloaded this market version to update it, and now the app does NOT work! I can access it, but when I attempt to actually use it to pay for something, it just says its initalizing and freezes there. :apk( Going to uninstall now and hope I can get the apk on here again!
    No haven't had an issue. I had the apk as well, it ran fairly well. The market version does seem to run smoothly and picks up the paypass sensor quicker. Did you restart your phone after the install? When I installed mine, it kept saying it was incompatible when I would open it from my app list. After I restarted the phone, it was showing up like any other regular app and has been flawless.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast