Anandtech -- Preliminary Update of 4.0.4 Signal Mapping

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Title speaks for itself. Here is the article: AnandTech - CDMA/LTE Galaxy Nexus 4.0.4 Update Changes Signal Reporting

Basic summary is that the signal strength to signal bars mapping has changed, so that the same dBm reading shows more bars (by 1). They still believe it is showing LTE signal strength and not 3G signal strength, like others.

They also suggest something I was theorizing about:

I believe that there's a good chance that the Galaxy Nexus as of 4.0.4 is reporting signal strength based on LTE RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indicator) which is the summation of power from adjacent cells, interference, and thermal noise, as opposed to LTE RSRP (Reference Signal Received Power) which is the power of a reference signal from a specific cell. Lately, Verizon has been making a concerted effort to standardize reporting on LTE handsets to a 5 bar scale reflecting LTE RSSI instead of LTE RSRP, starting with the recent HTC Rezound update.

I believe this is a good thing, going forward. This also would explain why the signal can drop so significantly when crossing the threshold from the street to my apartment complex, as I believe there is inherent interference somewhere nearby.

Brandon

menelfloss

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the post it is interesting.

Sometimes I wonder if the phone mic drop and occasional loud squelching during calls is a result of slow and poor hand off between 4G and 3G.

"A few other observations address some other cellular performance characteristics - specifically hard handover speed from 4G LTE down to 3G EVDO and back up. Going both directions on the Galaxy Nexus now seems much, much faster compared to the device's original shipping state - doing the handover and getting data flowing now is basically instantaneous. This is a big improvement if you're frequently in an area with marginal 4G LTE signal."

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm happy there's a sound reason for the change. Now all we have to do is wait for angry, misinformed bloggers to post "Update Causes Verizon Nexus Signal Meter to Tell LIES!"

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon