1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Angry Data connection dead!

I was driving home today and I heard a familiar song on the radio but couldn't place it. I whipped out the GN and clicked on SoundHound to give me the answer. (I was on the edge of a 4G area.) As SoundHound listened to the song I noticed that I still had a good 4G signal so I waited for the results... nothing happened except the app saying it didn't have a data connection. Well I've noticed that sometimes as you pass from a 4G to a 3G area the bars kinda dip then it re-aquires the connection and you're off again. This time however it did not! I cycled power on the device with no luck, I also did a battery pull and again no go. When I got home I had some errands to run so I hoped that maybe it was just a localized outage or something. By 7 o'clock I still didn't have a data connection so I called VZW.

They walked me through the normal stuff to check, i.e. settings and such and then directed me to tier 2 support. He had me pull the battery again, pull the sim, wipe off the sim, start the phone in safe mode and nothing worked. Finally he had me do a freaking factory data reset, again nothing! So they're sending me a like new replacement. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Default Re: Data connection dead!

go to your network settings and enable data.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm curious why they didn't send you to a store for a new SIM card. It sounds like yours got fried.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by DancesWithFarts View Post
    go to your network settings and enable data.
    Like I said in my op, all that jive was checked and rechecked. All the relevant settings are set correctly I just will not establish a 3G data connection.

Under Data Usage, mobile data is enabled
    Click More, Mobile Networks, Data Enabled is checked, Data roaming is checked,
    Network mode is set to LTE/CDMA (I've toggled that one several times)
    System select is set to Automatic

The thing is I had a working data connection and it seemed to be on when I attempted to use SoundHound, what I mean is I had 3 or 4 bar of 4G signal. (Had the 4G icon, signal bars were blue, etc) Now I get 2 bar but they're greyed out and not 3G icon.

then factory reset it.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    Stock

then factory reset it.
    Did that too with no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by bassjo View Post
    Did that too with no luck.
    sorry to hear that. at least you have a replacement coming. one last thing you can do is swing by a local vzw and swap out the sim. although that rarely does anything.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    Stock

sorry to hear that. at least you have a replacement coming. one last thing you can do is swing by a local vzw and swap out the sim. although that rarely does anything.
    Well I told the VZW rep that just for grins and giggles to send a new sim with the replacement. So we kill two birds with one stone.

Well I told the VZW rep that just for grins and giggles to send a new sim with the replacement. So we kill two birds with one stone.
    on the off chance the sim works, you can always send back the refurb. just call them first so they can notate your account. i've done that twice when they sent me crapped out refurbs. "double checked" my ***.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

ROM
    Stock

on the off chance the sim works, you can always send back the refurb. just call them first so they can notate your account. i've done that twice when they sent me crapped out refurbs. "double checked" my ***.
    Good idea! Thanks

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

I was driving home today and I heard a familiar song on the radio but couldn't place it. I whipped out the GN and clicked on SoundHound to give me the answer. (I was on the edge of a 4G area.) As SoundHound listened to the song I noticed that I still had a good 4G signal so I waited for the results... nothing happened except the app saying it didn't have a data connection. Well I've noticed that sometimes as you pass from a 4G to a 3G area the bars kinda dip then it re-aquires the connection and you're off again. This time however it did not! I cycled power on the device with no luck, I also did a battery pull and again no go. When I got home I had some errands to run so I hoped that maybe it was just a localized outage or something. By 7 o'clock I still didn't have a data connection so I called VZW.

They walked me through the normal stuff to check, i.e. settings and such and then directed me to tier 2 support. He had me pull the battery again, pull the sim, wipe off the sim, start the phone in safe mode and nothing worked. Finally he had me do a freaking factory data reset, again nothing! So they're sending me a like new replacement. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
    It's happened to me. When the store replaced the sim it worked fine. I'd give that a try to see if it fixes your problem or not. If it does, just send your certified like used phone back.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post
    It's happened to me. When the store replaced the sim it worked fine. I'd give that a try to see if it fixes your problem or not. If it does, just send your certified like used phone back.
    I have a question though, without the sim card in the phone you can't make or receive calls so if the sim was indeed fried then I shouldn't be able to make or receive calls. Right? (Cause I can.)
    Last edited by bassjo; 02-07-2012 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Added Info

Global Posts
    1,279 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I have a question though, without the sim card in the phone you can't make or receive calls so if the sim was indeed fried then I shouldn't be able to make or receive calls. Right? (Cause I can.)
    That is correct.

Razr Maxx

Yes this happened to me last week and I was without data for about 24 hours. Same exact troubleshooting process except when they told me to factory reset which I didnt want to do I told them I would just go in and get a new sim which from the forums has seemed to work most of the time. However before I went in to the store I called Tier 2 and had them do a network reconnect then reflashed the radio for 3g and lte and my data connection came back immediately. Second Tier 2 was not a ***** like the first and frequents alot of forums. Stated that the problem is in the way that Verizon towers handles the transfer 1x, 3g and lte. Said they have some security feature that if it does not receive a proper network authentication it will allow phone calls but not data. This proper authentication is something that they are going to have to get solved with the 4g devices and the towers and hopefully soon. Being stuck without data when paying Verizon an arm and a leg sucks. Especially when first Tier 2 told me just to wait until End of February for an update! lol
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

ROM
    Stock

Just an update, I received the "certified like new" device today with a replacement sim. I tried just putting the sim into my old device. It would let me make calls but would not connect to 3G. I put the sim into the replacement device and after activation I have 3G again. Actually my signal strength is a little better than before. So thanks for the advice, I'll keep on rocking my GN!
    Last edited by bassjo; 02-07-2012 at 04:53 PM. Reason: spelling

not necessarily.

sims can go bad, but you have a better chance of winning the lottery twice than getting a malfunctioning sim card.

sim cards are mainly replaced to get customers with probs out of the store quickly so vzw reps can focus on people that are buying crap.

it's easy so it's worth a try, of course.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

not necessarily.

sims can go bad, but you have a better chance of winning the lottery twice than getting a malfunctioning sim card.

sim cards are mainly replaced to get customers with probs out of the store quickly so vzw reps can focus on people that are buying crap.

it's easy so it's worth a try, of course.
    That's just not true. SIMs are fickle beasts. They can be affected by any little thing, and they do go bad. It just happens. Nothing you can do about it except replace it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Droid800 View Post
    That's just not true. SIMs are fickle beasts. They can be affected by any little thing, and they do go bad. It just happens. Nothing you can do about it except replace it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ok.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

I was able to make and receive calls when my sim went bad. I also got 4G. I didn't get any 3G or the 1. I had the sim in the phone at the time of the problem.

Sent from one of the following: Galaxy Nexus, Bionic or Xoom using Tapatalk.
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air

I think you were just holding the phone wrong. ;-)