Two Weeks With Nexus....Miss My 3G. Why? Back Button?

NexusBiker

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
The last 6 weeks has been cell phone hell.

3g Iphone for 3 years with no issues (ATT). The phone started to lag so the family switched to Sprint and I got the Galaxy SII/Epic 4g Touch. I LOVED that phone! Big but buttons well placed. Sprint sucked so we bounced to Verizon.

I now have the Galaxy Nexus AND may return it for the Iphone 4s or Razr.....unless I'm looking at things wrong.

1). The Nexus is huge! One hand typing and navigating is hard. I have average hands too. Right handed and going BACK in the text menu is hard reach with my thumb.

2) The Back Button and Recent Apps. On the Iphone the Home Button ended apps. On the GSII the Back Button Ended Apps. On the Galaxy Nexus, they stay in Recent Apps regardless of Back or Home press which means....some twitter pictures of not to G rated material is sitting there for all to see. Quitting running apps or removing material the GF may get mad at means constantly hitting Recent Apps and swiping.

Think those are my only two gripes. I didnt root it but dont think that would change anything. I like the speed and screen size. Battery life sucks ass! I held a friends Iphone 4s and it feels so small now.

One reason I'm thinking bout returning is because the Iphone 4s will have a greater resale if the Iphone 5 comes out in the summer. Easily sell it for $500 and buy the Iphone 5.

Edit: I added Volume+ and Google Voice which seem like adding floor mats to a new car....shouldnt have to.

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
sorry you are having issues.
Rom's can correct a few things. like longpressing the back button kills an app, and you can switch the order of your soft buttons (like putting back button all the way to the right)

also, you can try slideit keyboard for a "swype" like experience.

after using android phones for 2 years i find typing on an iphone a terrible experience. just too small and my hands feel like they are going to cramp up...lol.

if you arent comvofrtable with the size of the device, get the iPhone, just realize you are going to lose out on some android only features.

macmitten

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I love the recent app button now. It takes time to actually start using it often. I don't really find myself having to hide anything I look at on my phone, but if you want to keep anything private.... face unlock!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
NexusBuyer, sorry to hear about your problems with the Nexus.

Sent from one of the following: Galaxy Nexus, Bionic or Xoom using Tapatalk.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
The last 6 weeks has been cell phone hell.

3g Iphone for 3 years with no issues (ATT). The phone started to lag so the family switched to Sprint and I got the Galaxy SII/Epic 4g Touch. I LOVED that phone! Big but buttons well placed. Sprint sucked so we bounced to Verizon.

I now have the Galaxy Nexus AND may return it for the Iphone 4s or Razr.....unless I'm looking at things wrong.

1). The Nexus is huge! One hand typing and navigating is hard. I have average hands too. Right handed and going BACK in the text menu is hard reach with my thumb.

2) The Back Button and Recent Apps. On the Iphone the Home Button ended apps. On the GSII the Back Button Ended Apps. On the Galaxy Nexus, they stay in Recent Apps regardless of Back or Home press which means....some twitter pictures of not to G rated material is sitting there for all to see. Quitting running apps or removing material the GF may get mad at means constantly hitting Recent Apps and swiping.

Think those are my only two gripes. I didnt root it but dont think that would change anything. I like the speed and screen size. Battery life sucks ass! I held a friends Iphone 4s and it feels so small now.

One reason I'm thinking bout returning is because the Iphone 4s will have a greater resale if the Iphone 5 comes out in the summer. Easily sell it for $500 and buy the Iphone 5.

Edit: I added Volume+ and Google Voice which seem like adding floor mats to a new car....shouldnt have to.

I have news for you, pressing the iPhone (4 and 4s) home button does not close anything! Pick up somebodies iPhone and double tap the home button, and there at the bottom of the ohone is every app they have used and not closed. In other words pretty much the same thing as hitting the recent app button on the GN. So anybody can still look at what you have been doing. If you want to keep people out of your phone then lock the screen.

anon(525422)

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I have news for you, pressing the iPhone (4 and 4s) home button does not close anything! Pick up somebodies iPhone and double tap the home button, and there at the bottom of the ohone is every app they have used and not closed.
Exactly what I was about to post.

The only reason your 3G had a single button that auto-closed apps when you backed out is because it's not capable of multitasking. (Even in the limited sense of "multitasking" within iOS.)

Now that you're looking at a multitasking-capable phone and OS, you're going to have to manually close out of apps in some way regardless of which phone you pick ... whether it's by a long press on a Back button, a swipe from the Recent apps list, or a double-Home tap and close on a new iPhone.

I'm afraid this is not a failing of the Nexus, not by any stretch of the imagination. It would be like wondering why Excel doesn't quit completely on your Windows machine every time you Alt-Tab to a browser window.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 5 won't be out this summer. Holiday season 2012 earliest just like this year.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
AOKP Milestone 3 version has the ability to hold your back button down to kill what ever app your on which works great. It also has great battery life for me at least I'm getting 16 hours per charge with moderate use.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you're really missing your iphone. Nothing wrong with that. When I got my first Android, I was really missing my BlackBerry. It was comfortable and I was used to how it worked...even a little frustrated that my Droid didn't do some things the same way. But I kept it for a couple of weeks, learned how to do things on it, figured out there are now many apps to choose from instead of the few that RIM had approved (not unlike apple and its "approved" apps). Now there is no way I'd own anything but an Android. And for now, there is NO Android phone I would trade for my Nexus. If you want to have some fun, unlock it, root it and try out some of the ROMs that have many of the little kinks worked out, and some great new additions put in.

It really comes down to this...do you want to like the Nexus or not? If you want to, quit comparing it to how things worked on your iphone and start figuring out how to use your Nexus. If you just can't get into the Android world, then go get an iphone. They're all great devices...get what you want and be happy.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you're really missing your iphone. Nothing wrong with that. When I got my first Android, I was really missing my BlackBerry. It was comfortable and I was used to how it worked...even a little frustrated that my Droid didn't do some things the same way. But I kept it for a couple of weeks, learned how to do things on it, figured out there are now many apps to choose from instead of the few that RIM had approved (not unlike apple and its "approved" apps). Now there is no way I'd own anything but an Android. And for now, there is NO Android phone I would trade for my Nexus. If you want to have some fun, unlock it, root it and try out some of the ROMs that have many of the little kinks worked out, and some great new additions put in.

It really comes down to this...do you want to like the Nexus or not? If you want to, quit comparing it to how things worked on your iphone and start figuring out how to use your Nexus. If you just can't get into the Android world, then go get an iphone. They're all great devices...get what you want and be happy.

Your first paragraph describes me exactly. I missed that keyboard for such a long time, but I wanted to like Android.

And then I rooted.

And then I fell in love.

Run L1ke H3LL

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
youre the exact type of person the iphone is marketed towards; uniformed buyers.
the kind of person who has no idea how anything works and just likes using it. go back to the iphone, youre doing yourself a disservice.

Also:
I can hit every spot on the phone one-handed.
I average 15 hours of battery life, moderate usage +apps.
The recent apps button is the greatest innovation to come to smartphones in a long time. I would be lost without one now.

Run L1ke H3LL

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
15 hours, eh? Unless you have a kernel, what do you have like, 10 minutes of screen time? ;)

if i didn't just charge my phone i would be able to tell you, but last cycles battery info is gone now.
it's much more than 10mins though. i play a lot of games and browse internet and text all day

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
if i didn't just charge my phone i would be able to tell you, but last cycles battery info is gone now.
it's much more than 10mins though. i play a lot of games and browse internet and text all day

I'm very, very curious as to how you get that. That's awesome. Right now I'm going on little usage, with 76% left and 9h 22m 36s on battery (and going).

But by little usage, I mean barely any usage. And I have a kernel lol

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
When looking at something not so rated g, click on one more thing (like twitter home) before moving on so the screen cap is innocent.

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Hitting the back button only closes out apps that are designed that way. Which is mostly iOS apps that the dev didn't want to incorporate into Androids multi-tasking. And the recent apps aren't always still open and running. It's just your recent apps and the questionable ones are easily discarded with a fun swipe.