Lets hunt down App causing restarts

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I've had my phone since just about release date, it has rebooted only twice in that time.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I'm glad that is acceptable to you and you're getting your money's worth out of your phone. Unfortunately I rely on my cell phone to make a living and need it to be reliable. Two random reboots is two too many in my book.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad that is acceptable to you and you're getting your money's worth out of your phone. Unfortunately I rely on my cell phone for my job and need it to be reliable. Two random reboot is two too many in my book.

I agree. The random rebooting is annoying as hell, and thankfully I traced mine to one app. The truly random reboots, however? Oi.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Mine always reboots while using Google maps. I have had it reboot while texting as well as watching a video. As long as I don't use maps I get it about once a week maybe twice. Today I was using Google maps and got a phone call and about two mins into the call it rebooted. Hope this gets fixed soon.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Here are all the apps installed on my phone:

Adfree
Adt pulse beta
Amazon
Amazon Kindle
Audio manager (hides files?J?)
Barcode Scanner
Bookmarks sb
Bump
Carcast
Catholic one bible
Cell limit 0
Christmas hd live wallpaper
Craigslist notifications
Craigslist posting
Currents
Desktop visualizer
Docs to go full
Dropbox
Earth
Evernote
Facebook
Fetchit
Foursquare
Get Glue
Goodnews
Gtasks
Haxsync
HD Widgets
HeyTell
Hockey Sounds
Instant heart rate
Jetvd
Keyring
Lehighvalleylive
LinkedIn
Movies/flixster
Mx video player
My beach hd wallpaper
My medical info
Netflix
New Jersey Devils
NFL Mobile
Nova Launcher- I think this could have caused it. I have it installed as a system app with the update a regular apk.
OnStar
Our Groceries
Pandora
Paper Camera
Photo Cube
Photo Tools
Plume
PNC Mobile
Power amp
Ringtone Maker
Rom Manager (free) FC’s a lot- even says SU stopped working when restarting in the bootloader
Root Explorer
Safe Neighborhood
Safewallet
Simple Calendar
Simple text
Sirius XM
Soundhound
Speed Test
Swiftkey X
Tapatalk
Titanium
Ultimate Stopwatch
Volume+ ( I think this is the culprit as I didn’t have reboots until I first set this up)

Games:

Angry Birds
Apparatus
Army Sniper
Coloring
Cross Court Tennis
Flick Golf
Forbidden Brakes
Game Development Story
Great Little War Game
Homerun Battle 3d
HTR slot car racing
Leo R/C- really doesn’t work well on ICS
Reckless Getaway
Reckless Racing
Riptide GP
Slash
Talking Ben
Talking Tom 2
Train Conductor 2
When I Get Bigger- 2 books from developer

CBCstillmatic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I have been problem free since I uninstalled amazon app store and its apps. I was good up till 3 weeks ago then amazon updated and I started getting reboots and unresponsive apps frequently. I deleted them a week ago and haven't had a single issue since. Time will tell if it was amazon or just coincidence.

davesax36

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I believe it's a data handling issue. I always seem to get a new email in my exchange account when it finishes the reboot. I also have a little black gap in mobile network under battery stats. Just my $.02

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I have been problem free since I uninstalled amazon app store and its apps. I was good up till 3 weeks ago then amazon updated and I started getting reboots and unresponsive apps frequently. I deleted them a week ago and haven't had a single issue since. Time will tell if it was amazon or just coincidence.

That's one of the reasons I uninstalled. Simply had enough with how terrible it ran. Great concept, occasionally loved the App of the Day, but it's wayyy to clunky.

Tony - FWIW, WatchDog flagged the heck out of Currents this morning. Like 23 times.

SHWELL

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Answering calls, using Tether, EX contacts, Camera

I can go on.. I just reset my phone the other day, and I have not experienced another Reboot yet. They were happening quite often for a week or so.

flybass

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
i had a screen lock issue where the touchscreen was unresponsive. i uninstalled power control widgets and it went away.

samix

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
had 2 reboots yesterday, both when using pandora

hadn't had any reboots for about month before yesterday

stock, unrooted, 4.0.2

Hovik818

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
My device has only rebooted twice in a month and a half. Honestly all the problems I've been hearings from various users I have never experienced. One of the crashes happened right when I pulled down my notification bar. But over all experience, my device has been giving me no problems whatsoever.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
My device has only rebooted twice in a month and a half. Honestly all the problems I've been hearings from various users I have never experienced. One of the crashes happened right when I pulled down my notification bar. But over all experience, my device has been giving me no problems whatsoever.

Go on a trip and use Google navigation, then press the lock to dim the screen when you are like on a long miles where you don't need the screen on keep it running while you do this. Your phone will reboot after like 5 mins or sometimes more. Happens every time with three different nexus phones. Try it Mr I don't have any problems.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Go on a trip and use Google navigation, then press the lock to dim the screen when you are like on a long miles where you don't need the screen on keep it running while you do this. Your phone will reboot after like 5 mins or sometimes more. Happens every time with three different nexus phones. Try it Mr I don't have any problems.

I have, and I've never had that happen. I'll look for it though.

andronik246

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
I saw this thread and it is one of the most likeliest places which actually explains what causes reboots. :)

I have gone nuts trying to find out random reboots for my tablet.
Let me explain:
I had installed the CWM to root my device and then I put the stock firmware back on, just trying to find out if the reboots continued.
And guess.. they DID continue.
I actually took the Tablet to Samsung technical support, and they didnt find anything. They tested the tablet, reinstalled the stock firmware and did not find anything claiming maybe the external memory card might have caused this issue due to corruption.
After a week the tablet functioned fine. I learned to NOT root the tablet as touching certain places in the machine might actually be the fault of this.
... However after just 4 or 5 days the tablet is starting to reboot itself, AGAIN. I really need to find out WHAT is causing this.
Just as FYI:
I've tested the Sensors with varios programs on Google Play.. No issues
My tablet has the stock software installed. No tampering there.
The tablet battery is full.
The temperature is reasonable 30 degrees celsius / 86 degrees fahrenheit.
No external card is installed.

I can suppose having many applications that use synchronization might do this. Twitter / Foursquare / Facebook / Google / Drive / Skydrive / Dropbox / Evernote, whereas I only left the three in on these. But that is just a vague way of searching using trial and error.

When I first noticed this issue I did create a question on the XDA forum.
See URL: [Q] Troubleshooting random reboots - xda-developers
But nobody has answered.

Is there someway you can actually SEE the direct reason why the tablet / smartphone rebooted?
Does anybody know or at least somewhere which might be a good explanation on this?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon