Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Lets hunt down App causing restarts

Im not positive, but im willin to guess there is an app (or two) causing our restarts..

Maybe those of us who are experiencing lots of restarts (like a couple a week) can post a list of the apps they have installed...
    Then I can dump them into excel and see if I can find any common Apps among everyone...

Just a thought...

-Danny

Default Re: Lets hunt down App causing restarts

Here is a clue. It starts with "A" and ends with a "d".

I'm positive it's not. Ideally, an app misbehaving should never be able to crash an operating system, but obviously the reality of software means that this isn't going to be true.

And one common crash complaint seems to involve things like playing audio in any media player or Listen, which would point towards a crash bug in the system's audio framework. I've also seen crashes while using the Messaging app. And I've also seen the system go unresponsive twice now (forcing a battery pull) after telling the android market website to install a large (20+mb) game on the device.

None of these sound to me (a professional software engineer) like a problem with any specific user-space applications.
    ohiomoto likes this.
    Mobile Enthusiast

Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB B1/Franco M5

I thought it could be an app too, but I started seeing my reboots occur in correlation to two different things:

1. Stock camera app. I have had my phone reboot on me 3 times when entering the stock camera app, and that may not be an issue with the app but maybe the camera being activated making the OS hiccup.

2. WiFi, or data in general. I have had this phone reboot on me at the MINIMUM about 5 or 6 times without me even doing anything on it. I've noticed that once it happened when I was in a cellular service fringe area, and all the other times it occured either right after comming into range of a saved wifi connection or right after leaving one.

Obviously with me not being a software engineer at all, with one saying it probably isn't an app I'm inclined to believe him, unless maybe that app activates or deactivates hardware on the phone.

EDIT: also interesting to mention that since I installed 4.0.4 my phone hasnt rebooted itself, but it's also only been 24hrs, so time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseign View Post
    I thought it could be an app too, but I started seeing my reboots occur in correlation to two different things:

1. Stock camera app. I have had my phone reboot on me 3 times when entering the stock camera app, and that may not be an issue with the app but maybe the camera being activated making the OS hiccup.

2. WiFi, or data in general. I have had this phone reboot on me at the MINIMUM about 5 or 6 times without me even doing anything on it. I've noticed that once it happened when I was in a cellular service fringe area, and all the other times it occured either right after comming into range of a saved wifi connection or right after leaving one.

Obviously with me not being a software engineer at all, with one saying it probably isn't an app I'm inclined to believe him, unless maybe that app activates or deactivates hardware on the phone.

EDIT: also interesting to mention that since I installed 4.0.4 my phone hasnt rebooted itself, but it's also only been 24hrs, so time will tell.
    Activating/deactivating the camera definitely falls under the category of "things that should ideally never crash the operating system but is eventually likely to happen". The integration of the hardware and the software drivers required to drive that sort of definitely increases the chances that there's a bug at some level that may well be lower down than the camera app itself.

I never saw any sort of correlation between wifi/3g and random crashes (not to say that I think you're wrong), though it does seem to me like the wireless drivers in 4.0.2 are definitely buggy. Typically after about 2 days of uptime (if the phone hadn't crashed by that time) I would start to see either the wifi driver get into a wedged state (I'm guessing based on log messages) where it would cease to function and require a reboot, or the 3g data would quit working until I cycled airplane mode (is this the data bug I've seen discussed a bunch?).

Anyway, I guess the reason I'm communicating all of this is just to further suggest that 4.0.2 seems so buggy in so many ways that are related to operating system-level software ways that I highly doubt any single app or set of apps is to blame for instability.

(And I'm approaching 24 hours on 4.0.4 now, which seems vastly improved in a number of ways. Let's hope this fixes everything. )

My restarts have all occurred when I'm listening to pandora, on wifi. Doesn't happen when I'm on 3G/4G. However, the occurrences are far and between.
    Last edited by doogie1; 02-08-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Here is one: PowerAmp

Edit: I was drunk when I posted this lol
    Last edited by n0obpr0; 02-09-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Only thing that has caused mine to crash is going straight to stock camera app from the lock screen. Freezes the phone then it reboots. Happened maybe 6 or 7 times.
    HTC touch-BB pearl flip-BB tour-OG-DX-Fascinate-D2-Thunderbolt-Bionic-Rezound-Galaxy Nexus-Razr-Razr M-DNA-GS4- Note 3-?
    Mobile Enthusiast

Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB B1/Franco M5

Quote Originally Posted by radsaq View Post
    Activating/deactivating the camera definitely falls under the category of "things that should ideally never crash the operating system but is eventually likely to happen". The integration of the hardware and the software drivers required to drive that sort of definitely increases the chances that there's a bug at some level that may well be lower down than the camera app itself.

I never saw any sort of correlation between wifi/3g and random crashes (not to say that I think you're wrong), though it does seem to me like the wireless drivers in 4.0.2 are definitely buggy. Typically after about 2 days of uptime (if the phone hadn't crashed by that time) I would start to see either the wifi driver get into a wedged state (I'm guessing based on log messages) where it would cease to function and require a reboot, or the 3g data would quit working until I cycled airplane mode (is this the data bug I've seen discussed a bunch?).

Anyway, I guess the reason I'm communicating all of this is just to further suggest that 4.0.2 seems so buggy in so many ways that are related to operating system-level software ways that I highly doubt any single app or set of apps is to blame for instability.

(And I'm approaching 24 hours on 4.0.4 now, which seems vastly improved in a number of ways. Let's hope this fixes everything. )

I agree, 4.0.4 seems a lot more stable than 4.0.2. Im approaching 48hrs now and no issues with wifi or reboots, but that isnt saying much quite yet. Ill be satisfied when I hit a week without wifi to 3g swtching problems and 2 weeks without a reboot.

Maps caused mine to crash

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    1,937 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heartagram616 View Post
    Only thing that has caused mine to crash is going straight to stock camera app from the lock screen. Freezes the phone then it reboots. Happened maybe 6 or 7 times.
    I was just on vacation, used camera numerous times and went to lock screen from camera many times and never encountered a reboot.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    ROM
    Miui v4

Navigation seems to cause restarts, at the absolute worst times (ie on the highway while traveling to a new city for work)

Plume freezes and restarts usually when trying to share a link from the browser to twitter.

Navigation and the camera hit my first phone hard. I've only had one random reboot on my second, but it's been on a ROM most of it's life.

BTW, I've used Pandora for 6 hours straight without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by radsaq View Post
    I'm positive it's not. Ideally, an app misbehaving should never be able to crash an operating system, but obviously the reality of software means that this isn't going to be true.

And one common crash complaint seems to involve things like playing audio in any media player or Listen, which would point towards a crash bug in the system's audio framework. I've also seen crashes while using the Messaging app. And I've also seen the system go unresponsive twice now (forcing a battery pull) after telling the android market website to install a large (20+mb) game on the device.

None of these sound to me (a professional software engineer) like a problem with any specific user-space applications.
    I agree. The problem is most likely in the system that runs the apps, hence the Android joke int post 2.

Mine has only restarted while either not using it at all or while in the messaging app.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Google Chrome.

I posted it in the Chrome thread. I was using it very heavily last night. Hit a link on Facebook, selected Chrome, and the loading bar got a quarter of the way when the reboot occurred.

Restarted, opened Chrome. Found the same link via Google. Reboot. Turned phone off, did a batt pull, restarted.

Opened Chrome. Decided to go to here (AC) via my bookmarks. Guess what happened?

So I deleted Chrome, rebooted in recovery and wiped cache/dalvik. Unsure if there's a conflict with any of my setup or if the cache load was too heavy. I may try again earlier today but monitoring the cache load.

I was sitting on a very important conference call (on speakerphone which I have always taken from previous cell phones and has never been an issue) when all of a sudden my phone rebooted. I missed a very important part of the call where I was supposed to do a presentation.

Shortly after that I was at the Verizon store getting a RAZR MAXX and the GN is sitting unused in my desk drawer.

Global Posts
    1,937 Global Posts

I've had my phone since just about release date, it has rebooted only twice in that time. I've installed a load of apps, used most of the features regularly including camera and navigation. I don't think it is stock features causing problem. More in line with thought it's related to apps not updated for ICS and probably more than one in conjunction with another.

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by bob61 View Post
    I've had my phone since just about release date, it has rebooted only twice in that time. I've installed a load of apps, used most of the features regularly including camera and navigation. I don't think it is stock features causing problem. More in line with thought it's related to apps not updated for ICS and probably more than one in conjunction with another.

I think that's the likeliest conclusion.

I don't want to slander an app if that's possible, but since installing Android pro widgets calendar module I've had a few glitches..I love the app though.

Quote Originally Posted by bob61 View Post
    I've had my phone since just about release date, it has rebooted only twice in that time.
    I'm glad that is acceptable to you and you're getting your money's worth out of your phone. Unfortunately I rely on my cell phone to make a living and need it to be reliable. Two random reboots is two too many in my book.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
    I'm glad that is acceptable to you and you're getting your money's worth out of your phone. Unfortunately I rely on my cell phone for my job and need it to be reliable. Two random reboot is two too many in my book.
    I agree. The random rebooting is annoying as hell, and thankfully I traced mine to one app. The truly random reboots, however? Oi.

ROM
    Stock rooted 4.04 IMM76K

Mine always reboots while using Google maps. I have had it reboot while texting as well as watching a video. As long as I don't use maps I get it about once a week maybe twice. Today I was using Google maps and got a phone call and about two mins into the call it rebooted. Hope this gets fixed soon.
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

Here are all the apps installed on my phone:

Adfree
    Adt pulse beta
    Amazon
    Amazon Kindle
    Audio manager (hides filesJ)
    Barcode Scanner
    Bookmarks sb
    Bump
    Carcast
    Catholic one bible
    Cell limit 0
    Christmas hd live wallpaper
    Craigslist notifications
    Craigslist posting
    Currents
    Desktop visualizer
    Docs to go full
    Dropbox
    Earth
    Evernote
    Facebook
    Fetchit
    Foursquare
    Get Glue
    Goodnews
    Gtasks
    Haxsync
    HD Widgets
    HeyTell
    Hockey Sounds
    Instant heart rate
    Jetvd
    Keyring
    Lehighvalleylive
    LinkedIn
    Movies/flixster
    Mx video player
    My beach hd wallpaper
    My medical info
    Netflix
    New Jersey Devils
    NFL Mobile
    Nova Launcher- I think this could have caused it. I have it installed as a system app with the update a regular apk.
    OnStar
    Our Groceries
    Pandora
    Paper Camera
    Photo Cube
    Photo Tools
    Plume
    PNC Mobile
    Power amp
    Ringtone Maker
    Rom Manager (free) FC’s a lot- even says SU stopped working when restarting in the bootloader
    Root Explorer
    Safe Neighborhood
    Safewallet
    Simple Calendar
    Simple text
    Sirius XM
    Soundhound
    Speed Test
    Swiftkey X
    Tapatalk
    Titanium
    Ultimate Stopwatch
    Volume+ ( I think this is the culprit as I didn’t have reboots until I first set this up)

Games:

Angry Birds
    Apparatus
    Army Sniper
    Coloring
    Cross Court Tennis
    Flick Golf
    Forbidden Brakes
    Game Development Story
    Great Little War Game
    Homerun Battle 3d
    HTR slot car racing
    Leo R/C- really doesn’t work well on ICS
    Reckless Getaway
    Reckless Racing
    Riptide GP
    Slash
    Talking Ben
    Talking Tom 2
    Train Conductor 2
    When I Get Bigger- 2 books from developer

I have been problem free since I uninstalled amazon app store and its apps. I was good up till 3 weeks ago then amazon updated and I started getting reboots and unresponsive apps frequently. I deleted them a week ago and haven't had a single issue since. Time will tell if it was amazon or just coincidence.

Galaxy Nexus!!! Finally Mine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast