Possibly interested in the Nexus...

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I'd be a new Verizon customer and was wondering if the G Nexus is still worth it? Has the phone had an update to correct the signal issues? Are there any other known issues with the phone? Thanks

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure more experienced GN users will chime in, but I just got one and think it's an awesome device. Since you'd be on a new contract, you would have a 14 day period to try it out.

I'd say go for it. :D

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
BEST phone I've ever owned. It's easy to find negative threads on any device in any forum (they exist to help people solve problems, so problems is what they're filled with). If you look at some of the polls, you'll find the vast majority very happy with this awesome phone. I've not had a single problem with my signal, my mic, my camera, or rebooting.

MedioGringo

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Yeah you have a trial period so give it a shot. I came from Sprint so it's hard to say if there are signal issues, but what I will say is that I haven't ever had a problem with signal strength since I got it on Dec 15th and I live in NYC (for those who don't know, NYC is the worst urban area in the nation for cell coverage).

I would go play with one at the store and see if the size is gonna be an issue for you. If not, grab one and use your 14 days to see how you like it.

One note: Android 4.0.2 is significantly slower than 4.0.3 which is significantly slower than 4.0.4. Don't be deterred if you get some hiccups in the app drawer or the browser - those have been fixed in the latest releases. But I wouldn't root it to install a ROM with a newer version of the OS. It might cause issues if you decide to return it.

What phone/carrier are you coming from?

thadanis09

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
The phone at the beginning on 4.0.2 was questionable, but now that 4.0.4 is out, IT FIXES everything! The battery life, signal strength, and display, are amazing!

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah you have a trial period so give it a shot. I came from Sprint so it's hard to say if there are signal issues, but what I will say is that I haven't ever had a problem with signal strength since I got it on Dec 15th and I live in NYC (for those who don't know, NYC is the worst urban area in the nation for cell coverage).

I would go play with one at the store and see if the size is gonna be an issue for you. If not, grab one and use your 14 days to see how you like it.

One note: Android 4.0.2 is significantly slower than 4.0.3 which is significantly slower than 4.0.4. Don't be deterred if you get some hiccups in the app drawer or the browser - those have been fixed in the latest releases. But I wouldn't root it to install a ROM with a newer version of the OS. It might cause issues if you decide to return it.

What phone/carrier are you coming from?

Thanks for the reply. I am coming from AT&T and have a good experience but I would just feel better if I was on Verizon as its a much better network. I'm also coming from the iPhone 4s. That's another thing too, once the iPhone 5 hits, I'll have it on a much better covered network.

I'm also gonna try the unlimited data loophole. Apparently you call and have them add the MHS feature which replaces your data plan to unlimited for $29.99/mo.

MedioGringo

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
The phone at the beginning on 4.0.2 was questionable, but now that 4.0.4 is out, IT FIXES everything! The battery life, signal strength, and display, are amazing!

Yeah the Nexus really wasn't "done" when they released it. They just wanted to get those Christmas sales. But now it's great.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
That's another thing too, once the iPhone 5 hits, I'll have it on a much better covered network.

So you would go from a GNex to the iPhone 5?

I'm also gonna try the unlimited data loophole. Apparently you call and have them add the MHS feature which replaces your data plan to unlimited for $29.99/mo.
It's not a loophole. It is how they set up their system. It's been well publicized that you can still get unlimited data on VZW. They could change it if they wanted to but they don't want to.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
So you would go from a GNex to the iPhone 5?

Depending on what it offers, but the option will be there.

It's not a loophole. It is how they set up their system. It's been well publicized that you can still get unlimited data on VZW. They could change it if they wanted to but they don't want to.

Do you know if someone were to do this if they would honor it? For example, take everyone off that got unlimited data this way?

MedioGringo

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I am coming from AT&T and have a good experience but I would just feel better if I was on Verizon as its a much better network. I'm also coming from the iPhone 4s. That's another thing too, once the iPhone 5 hits, I'll have it on a much better covered network.

I heard that won't work. If you do get it to work, they'll just revert your plan later.

However, they are or will be running a special where you can get 4 gb of data for the price of 2 on a 4g phone. Since the iphone isn't 4g, it won't be eligible. But if you get the Nexus, even if you decide to go back to iOS when the iphone 5 comes out, you'll still be on the 4 gb plan. There are some great data management features on the Nexus that allow you to set a warning at, say, 3 gb and cut off data completely once you reach your limit. But I never even get close to 2 gb, let alone 4. (WiFi FTW)

Also, if you don't want to pay $300 bucks for it, you should get it on Amazon or some other site. I think you can nab one for about $100 right now.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Do you know if someone were to do this if they would honor it? For example, take everyone off that got unlimited data this way?
I got unlimited data on 2 lines this way - a 4G phone and a 3G phone. I have had it for over 2 billing cycles and still have unlimited data. Others have had it even longer.

Took me 3 tries to get a rep to do it, but I eventually got one that did it. Call late at night, that seems to be when the new hires are working.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I heard that won't work. If you do get it to work, they'll just revert your plan later.

However, they are or will be running a special where you can get 4 gb of data for the price of 2 on a 4g phone. Since the iphone isn't 4g, it won't be eligible. But if you get the Nexus, even if you decide to go back to iOS when the iphone 5 comes out, you'll still be on the 4 gb plan. There are some great data management features on the Nexus that allow you to set a warning at, say, 3 gb and cut off data completely once you reach your limit. But I never even get close to 2 gb, let alone 4. (WiFi FTW)

Also, if you don't want to pay $300 bucks for it, you should get it on Amazon or some other site. I think you can nab one for about $100 right now.

I read the thread in the Verizon section on it and the only problem some had was getting a rep to agree to it. Those who did, said it was never removed, even after they removed the MHS feature.

The Verizon sales rep said she could give me a good deal on it when I was ready. If it doesn't match Amazon's, I can simply tell her I'll go there. I'm sure they'll do anything to get a new customer. :D

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
That's totally false. It works, it just may take you more than one try. There is one so-called report of a guy claiming an audit team called him. No one else has ever reported that, which leads me to conclude that was a hoax.

Also, they have contractual issues if they do that.

If you get it on Amazon and downgrade your data plan, that triggers their $250 penalty because they lose their commission. Now it may seem like going from 2GB to unlimited would not be a downgrade, but it ends up being one because you go from $30/mo to $29.99/mos. Only 1 penny difference, but according to Amazon, it triggers the $250 penalty.

MedioGringo

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
That's totally false. It works, it just may take you more than one try. There is one so-called report of a guy claiming an audit team called him. No one else has ever reported that, which leads me to conclude that was a hoax.

Also, they have contractual issues if they do that.

If you get it on Amazon and downgrade your data plan, that triggers their $250 penalty because they lose their commission. Now it may seem like going from 2GB to unlimited would not be a downgrade, but it ends up being one because you go from $30/mo to $29.99/mos. Only 1 penny difference, but according to Amazon, it triggers the $250 penalty.

Hmm that's interesting. I read on Droid Life that this wouldn't work, but I guess that was false. Might have to try this....

At any rate, 4 gb is a bunch of data, for me at least.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Same here but I know how fast LTE can go through data.
I signed up during the double the data promotion that just ended and got 4GB for $30/mo. I haven't yet even used 2GB a month. However, I like not having to worry about how much data I am using.

Also, if you get the GNex, you can get free MHS using toggles unrooted or if you root, using the wifi tether for rooted users. Another bonus! You can go through data quickly if you use your phone as a MHS.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snowhand