Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default USB Plug Socket starting to get loose?

One of the features of the GNEX that I really wanted is the charging contacts. I plug and unplug my phone a lot when getting in and out of the car. I have started to notice that at night when checking time or voice mail the dim clock face wakes up when I pick up or lay my phone down. This is due to the charging port losing contact momentarily. I wonder if we will get car and desk top chargers before we are eligible for an upgrade. Is anybody else experiencing this?

Default Re: USB Plug Socket starting to get loose?

I have had to replace several usb cables as they start to fail.
    Not sure if this is the receptacle or the cable. A new cable fixes the problem until it starts to fail.
    Stephen
    The Incredible Nexus
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,021 Global Posts

On my car charger the two little "teeth" seem to be smashed and no longer hold the plug in secruly. I may have to buy a new one. This one has been with me since the Storm1 days.

Is this what you are experiencing Mr. Cigar_Junkie?

Mobi is releasing a desktop dock charger. It doesn't use the contact pins but looks like it will do the trick for me at least. It also has an extra slot for a 2nd battery!

ROM
    JellyBeans

Quote Originally Posted by San Juan View Post
    I have had to replace several usb cables as they start to fail.
    Not sure if this is the receptacle or the cable. A new cable fixes the problem until it starts to fail.
    Was about to say the same thing....I had this problem on my Droid Charge, turned out to be the cable and not the phone. If this is only happening at your house try switching the cable......maybe you can get lucky.

P.S.
    I would also love to have the 3 point car and charging docks, hopefully soon.
    Sent Via..Raven from Kings Landing
    BB Storm 1 > Samsung Droid Charge > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > Samsung Galaxy Note II & LG G Pad 8.3

Hopefully it's just a cable. I had a friend that had a usb port on a LG go bad years ago and they wouldn't cover it. He was pissed because charging your phone falls under "normal use" in his book, but LG didn't see it that way. (fail)

One of the things I loved about the Palm Touchstone chargers. You can simply place the phone on the charger to charge and grab it when it't time to go. No fussing around with wires. I have several so modified my GN to work with them and posted a guide which you can see in my signature. They only charge at USB rate so there are times you might need plug the phone in but it's not very often.

I think inductive charging will become a standard at some point. Powermat and Energizer already have products on the market, but I think more OEMs will catch on at some point.

ROM
    CM10.1 Fitsnugly AOKP

I noticed how snug the OEM wall charger was when I got this phone. The car charger connector always seem to fail at some point. Why can't someone make a car charger with the same connector as the wall charger?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

I've got a light scratch 2mm long right above the USB socket. For some reason I suck at plugging this thing in.

ROM
    CM10.1 Fitsnugly AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by ohiomoto View Post
    They do. My car changer uses a standard USB cable. http://store.webosnation.com/palm-ve.../5A47A4229.htm
    I meant the same EXACT connector that the OEM wall charger has. My wall charger is very snug. The car charger always feel like there's some play in it and not secure.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Nakrohtap View Post
    I meant the same EXACT connector that the OEM wall charger has. My wall charger is very snug. The car charger always feel like there's some play in it and not secure.
    Same here; the charger that came with it literally bolts in lol

Yeah, so use THAT cord with the charger or one like it.

Palm chargers come with the two teeth that fit very snug.

The little gold tab that signifies the top is good to.