3G fall back?

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
What's its like going from LTE to Verizon's 3G? I ask because I like to stream Pandora when driving and am hoping if it changes to 3G its not going to buffer or cut out? How is LTE in an extended LTE area?

Does Verizon's 3G usually get 1mbps?

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Couldn't tell you about 4G because I don't get that signal, but I stream music all the time

Well Sprint's 3G was horrendous which is why I ask. I've seen Verizon's be a tad faster so I'm crossing my fingers. Though the majority of my area is covered in LTE, there are quite a few areas with "extended LTE coverage".

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Well Sprint's 3G was horrendous which is why I ask. I've seen Verizon's be a tad faster so I'm crossing my fingers. Though the majority of my area is covered in LTE, there are quite a few areas with "extended LTE coverage".

I also dont have the luxury of LTE, but 3g does pretty good for what I use it for. I will stream music from google music to my phone while driving in the car and occasionally it will cut out for buffering, but normally it isnt bad at all.

Samater92

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it's not that bad. I live in a 4G area and the only time it would switch to 3g is in my house. I would get 2-3 Mb/s download and that's good enough to stream. At least it's not like going from fiber optic speeds to dial-up lol.

jeres88

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I stream music while driving all the time (high quality turned on even). I have never had problems with it cutting out, even when it switches from 4G to 3G in the middle of a song. I have also streamed on 3G only in the past and it also worked just fine.

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
The 4G signal is weak at the gym that I workout at and I stream Pandora daily during my workout. It does, once in awhile, pause and when I look down I see that it is trying to get a signal one way or the other. It normally picks right back up but several times I've had to restart Pandora after the signal was reacquired. I think it really depends on the signal strength where you are at. This was with my GN, the RAZR MAXX I'm using now doesn't do it nearly as often but did pause once on me yesterday.

At work I have a very strong 4G signal and it never cuts out.

Last edited:

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
The 4G signal is weak at the gym that I workout at and I stream Pandora daily during my workout. It does, once in awhile, pause and when I look down I see that it is trying to get a signal one way or the other. It normally picks right back up but several times I've had to restart Pandora after the signal was required. I think it really depends on the signal strength where you are at. This was with my GN, the RAZR MAXX I'm using now doesn't do it nearly as often but did pause once on me yesterday.

At work I have a very strong 4G signal and it never cuts out.

Thanks. I played with the Nexus at the Verizon store this morning and forced it to CDMA (3G) and it took about 5 minutes before it picked up a 3G signal. So I'm assuming the transition between 3G and 4G is not seamless. That's one thing I love about ATT.

axne1

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Sprint has the worst 3g signal and 4 g signal out of all of the carriers. Horizons 3g in my area is super fast. Of course I'm comparing it to sprint 3g in my area.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Sprint has the worst 3g signal and 4 g signal out of all of the carriers. Horizons 3g in my area is super fast. Of course I'm comparing it to sprint 3g in my area.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Yeah I know. I just realized I'm not a fan of CDMA technology. Picked up the GSM Galaxy Nexus for AT&T. I do love my simultaneous voice and data. :D