Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Default Re: Tasker Profiles

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    I use Gentle Alarm, which controls all of my nighttime functions when it is being used as a night-table clock, including options for silencing, etc.

And, sure there are other times when I want to mute my phone or make it louder, but not a regular event by time or place, so automating doesn't help me. And really, the only time I mute is in a movie theater and meetings, which are random events.

I have no problems with my battery life, so leaving wifi turned on doesn't bother me, and I have a toggle for brightness. And I never use bluetooth for anything. And I don't use any type of lock on my phone.

And, when I get in my car, sometimes I listen to podcasts, sometimes to Rdio, sometimes to nothing at all, so I can't think what automation would help me there, either.

I guess I use my phone pretty much the same way everywhere, and when there are differences they don't seem to fit any pattern that can be tied to a time or place. That is too bad, really, since I like the tinkering nature of Tasker as an idea.
    Like I said, not trying to convince you to use it. If it isn't for you, no big deal. But you say that you think you would like to tinker with it. So here are some thoughts.

Someone already mentioned the pop-up menu for audio options in the car. Sure, you may already have a widget on your home screen for stuff like that. But if it already opens the options when you plug in the cable (or connect to bluetooth, or whatever) then you only have to click on what you want rather than turning on the screen, unlocking, opening the widget, then clicking on what you want. Saves two or three clicks/actions. I guess it's not really a big deal, but I'm big on automation and efficiency, so I find it very satisfying when the phone does exactly what I want it to on it's own.

I also set other things in the car, like speakerphone on. One less thing to press when taking a call, especially important in the car. I also launch my car home app automatically in the car mount and turn on GPS. So I can easily take an incoming call, pull up a map, etc. Plus the phone reads aloud any incoming text messages so I don't have to take my eyes off the road. Also auto-responds to let the texter know I am driving. These are all things that I think would help make anyone's driving experience more safe and enjoyable.

I use Gentle Alarm as well. Great app. But I handle all of the volume options with Tasker. Way more control.

Movies and meetings may happen at random times, but they probably do not happen at random places. You can set a location at your local movie theater to automatically silence the phone (and give you a little vib to let you know it did it). Even if your meeting locations and times are both random, you could still do something like put the phone into silent mode when placed face down (a lot of people like that one though I don't use it). Just put the phone face down on the table and you know it is silenced. No need to turn the screen on, unlock, set to silent. Maybe not a big deal, but it is nice to not have to do that right at the start of a meeting (which can be distracting/imply a lack of interest).

Just some stuff to try if you want to get into it. If nothing else, I think it is pretty fun to tinker with.

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts

Jake, those are definitely some good ideas, and I think I will get it just to mess around with stuff like that!

Can anyone tell me how to set Tasker to:

When home, make a call checking minutes then hang up. My issue right now (hopefully corrected by next software release) is once I get home (3G) area I don't get phone calls. All I need to do, once home is make a call to anyone or thing and then everything works fine. This has never been an issue for me in the past, I moved from a Droid X to Bionic now Galaxy Nexus 4 weeks ago and noticed this issue. Please don't suggest contacting Verizon I'm on phone number 4 after upgrading 4 weeks ago. First two were Droid Bionic one with same issue and now on second Nexus this one also with receiving call issue

Thanks

I have a question about Tasker regarding sending messages. I use Google Voice to send/receive messages. It sends/receives messages under my Google Voice number and not the phone's native number. Can Tasker do this? If I sent messages via the native voice number, no one would know who it's from.
    Droid (2009 original stock) --> Incredible --> Thunderbolt (Rooted/ROMed) --> Galaxy Nexus (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 2 (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 3 (Stock)

Quote Originally Posted by Turkey01 View Post
    Can anyone tell me how to set Tasker to:

When home, make a call checking minutes then hang up. My issue right now (hopefully corrected by next software release) is once I get home (3G) area I don't get phone calls. All I need to do, once home is make a call to anyone or thing and then everything works fine. This has never been an issue for me in the past, I moved from a Droid X to Bionic now Galaxy Nexus 4 weeks ago and noticed this issue. Please don't suggest contacting Verizon I'm on phone number 4 after upgrading 4 weeks ago. First two were Droid Bionic one with same issue and now on second Nexus this one also with receiving call issue

Thanks
    Yes, I think you can do that with Tasker. Here is a rough outline.

Create a task called "Activation Call" or something.
    Under the Phone Action you can make a call. It will store the number. There is a check-box for auto-dial (which I think is what you want).
    Under the Task Action you can insert a wait (say, 5 seconds?).
    Then under Phone Action you can end a call.

Create a location based profile for "Home" and have it run the task. It should make the call, wait, and hang up without any input from you. You could potentially run into some issues with it executing the task multiple times if it thinks you leave home for a split second. But that probably won't be too big of a deal. Might be able to negate that with a variable. Also you may want to run a check to see if you are already on the phone first, not sure how to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    I have a question about Tasker regarding sending messages. I use Google Voice to send/receive messages. It sends/receives messages under my Google Voice number and not the phone's native number. Can Tasker do this? If I sent messages via the native voice number, no one would know who it's from.
    If I understand what you are asking, I don't think Tasker can do that. Texts still have to be sent out over some kind of network. Tasker can send a message either through the Verizon network or using Google Voice, but it doesn't have it's own independent network to send messages through.

Global Posts
    1,237 Global Posts

what is a good source for NFC tags to try some of these? this is very interesting to me

Quote Originally Posted by jakeh0 View Post
    what is a good source for NFC tags to try some of these? this is very interesting to me
    Technically Tasker doesn't support NFC tags. It is all based on other conditions (time, date, location, wifi, screen, accelerometer, gps, etc.). But you can use the NFC Task Launcher app to run things within Tasker.

A good thread and some interesting points, here is my contribution. I am sure I could tweak these forever but I have a job and busy social/family life… I have glossed over the real detail of my tasker profiles mainly due to time. I hope to do a full write up for my blog at some point. I just wanted to contribute to this thread. Comments, feedback and suggestions always welcome.

Devices
    Running S2 unlocked/rooted and running with [Rom]GT-I9100 Resurrection Remix JB v3.0.2[08/08][AOKP JB PRE](AROMA+OTA) - xda-developers
    Nexus 7 unlocked and rooted

Tasker
    Locale Execute
    Secure Settings
    Locale WOL
    HTTP Post
    NFC launch plugin
    Synker
    K9 Mail Locale Plugin

Profile Name
    Home:-
    Contexts:- Connected to or Near Home SSID - Time Frame 07:00 - 23:15
    Settings:- Wi-Fi on, adjust brightness launch and connect Tablet Talk app to allow SMS and voice from phone to my Nexus 7

ScreenUnlockatHome:-
    Connected to or Near Home SSID Turn off Pattern Unlock security, you need the Secure Settings plugin and you still need to unlock the device once

(I separated this to allow the pattern unlock to remain constant night and day while at home) See Night and Morning)

Awake House:-
    Shake device (using phone) (hard with very low sensitivity, it kept displaying the menu when I received an SMS with vibrate on)
    Touch NFC tag in my oyster card (using tablet)

Presents menu to send WOL packets to laptop and media centre;
    Wait 3 minutes (I am getting a beer and waiting for the SSDs and applications to boot and be ready)
    HTTP post command to communicate with X10 module to turn my desk lamp on (also using Arduino)
    Wait 2 minutes
    Launch XBMC menu, because the XBMC remote I use is “functional” but it doesn’t allow me to start XBMC with a random playlist of my music and I can’t use it start my fav internet radio streams so again using the older XBMC http API and http post I can send custom commands to start my music as desired

(note: XMBC box is setup to automatically get new podcasts and update the library accordingly, it is also configured with some cron jobs to gracefully close all the running applications and shut down at 23.55. The Linux XBMC box also runs Subsonic Server (Subsonic Free Music Streamer) so I can stream movies and music when I am not at home, If the media server is not turned on I simply run a tasker shortcut to execute commands to ssh (using keys) to the router and run my WOL script)

I have since split this lot into separate functions for more control and to allow launching XBMC app on its own

Keyboard Swap
    Context:- Launch Connect Bot, Terminal App or Email launches present input selector so I can get hacker keyboard or swipe for my input
    Exit Task does the same to get back to my default

Night Lights Out:-
    Context:- 23:30 – 06:00
    Screen to min brightness, Silent. Desktop lamp off (I was having real issues with my Morning profile and screen pattern unlock reactivating if wifi was disabled on the night profile, I need to do some debugging to set the collision detection and profile governance correctly I guess

Morning:-
    I didn’t want to have to unlock the screen before this profile was visible hence keeping the wifi connection up and allowing the ScreenUnlockatHome profile to remain constant. I am sure there is a better way of doing this.
    06:10 – 06:35 Launch Alarm Pro app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...larm.pro&hl=en)

So all ready for my 6:20 alarm call, because the alarm pro app enables launching custom apps and alarm notifications I use those setting instead of Tasker.
    Alarm Pro in turn launches the Sunny Air app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...SunnyAir&hl=en)

So when I roll over and snooze the alarm I get a nice simple weather app telling me it is still raining in London.
    The exit Task for the Morning starts the background sync for my mail clients.

NotAtHome:-
    Again relying on WiFi inverts (not connected, not near Home or Work SSID) enable a roaming profile
    Set Notification to vibrate and loud, custom ring tone, set brightness, Pattern lock back on)

Work:-
    I reply on WiFi a lot rather than GPS. So Connected to or Near Work SSID
    Silent and vibrate only

Some of this is a little haphazard but I like the experimentation aspect and I have pretty decent working set up at the moment.
    Last edited by alicharles; 08-10-2012 at 05:03 AM.

I see people are using Tasker to automate the pattern unlock...
    is it possible to have it turn off screen unlock?
    When I'm home i just want to hit the power button and go right to my homescreen. I don't even want to see the lockscreen.

I would buy Tasker immediately if it had one feature: Detect bluetooth connection/disconnect.

When I get into my car my phone automatically connects with my Ford Sync via bluetooth. (I don't use a car dock, it just sits in the cup holder.) If I could change settings based upon the bluetooth connect and then undo those settings when I get out of my car and the bluetooth disconnects I'd be golden.

Is there a way to do this in tasker? Or maybe some other app?

Excellent thread

I would buy Tasker immediately if it had one feature: Detect bluetooth connection/disconnect.

When I get into my car my phone automatically connects with my Ford Sync via bluetooth. (I don't use a car dock, it just sits in the cup holder.) If I could change settings based upon the bluetooth connect and then undo those settings when I get out of my car and the bluetooth disconnects I'd be golden.

I use NFC Task Launcher to toggle bluetooth....

Quote Originally Posted by tiramg View Post
    I use NFC Task Launcher to toggle bluetooth....
    I leave bluetooth on 24/7 I don't need it toggled. I just want Tasker to detect when it connects or disconnects and perform actions.

I have Tasker detect when my bluetooth connects to my Honda. It then sends a reply message to anybody on my contact list who sends a text during that time that I am driving and will text them back when I am no longer driving.

Tasker can tell different bluetooth connections so that command is for when it connects only to my Honda.

Tasker is worth every penny.

Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid JB, CM9 Alpha2

Have you bought it yet? Tasker has Bluetooth Connected to function, I use it to detect when I am home (Bluetooth Connected XLink Gateway) to turn on WiFi. Also use to detect connection of BT Headphones to turn Media Volume to max and all other volumes to min.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
    CM-REMIX 4.4.2 VZW Galaxy Nexus - CM11 HP TouchPad

Tasker sounds like a very powerful app. I was wondering if it could do a few possible tasks:

1. Have it turn off 4G when it picks up my work or home wifi? (or does Android do that already?)
    2. SMS repeat notifications (for example, if I get a SMS notification and don't hear it, can Tasker re-notify me every 1min or so?)
    3. Automatically connect to a wifi that requires web sign-on (i.e. my work wifi requires I go into the browser and click on an acceptable-use agreement every time I connect)

Quote Originally Posted by hillwoman View Post
    I have Tasker detect when my bluetooth connects to my Honda. It then sends a reply message to anybody on my contact list who sends a text during that time that I am driving and will text them back when I am no longer driving.

Tasker can tell different bluetooth connections so that command is for when it connects only to my Honda.

Tasker is worth every penny.
    Can you share with me where I need to go within Tasker to have it react to the connection of bluetooth? I've looked but can figure that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by joncat84 View Post
    I recently started using tasker and love it so far. I have a few simple profiles.

Wifi on, turns wifi on when i am at my house by using the cell towers around my house to know where i am.

Wifi off, opposite as above for when i leave my house.

Upside down vibrate, when i put my phone down flat with the screen down it puts my phone into vibrate mode and does a quick vibrate to let me know its enabled. This is great for meetings cause i can do it so quickly.

Silence sms, due to work i constantly get automatic texts from a specific number that gives me info that i dont need right away. This profile just silences that number when i recieve texts from it.

What i am trying to create but dont know if it can be done is have a profile take a front facing picture when someone guesses my pattern lock wrong. Does anybody know if its possible?
    I have a profile I call secret camera that does exactly what you're asking. Your phone must be rooted and you need to have the app SECURE SETTINGS installed.

NEW PROFILE-(Whatever Name You Want)
    Select State/Plug Ins/Secure Settings/Edit Configuration to
    Failed Login Attempts to 1 and check the box for Device Admin Enabled.
    New Task(whatever name you want)
    Select Action/Media/Take Photo-set to front camera-Filename(whatever you want) Check Box To Insert Into Gallery And Box For Discreet. Then Set The Resolution To Your Preference. Press The Confirm Checkmark And ENJOY!!!!
    Last edited by bigblt; 08-26-2012 at 02:06 AM.

Can you share with me where I need to go within Tasker to have it react to the connection of bluetooth? I've looked but can figure that one out.
    When you create a new profile select state/net/Bluetooth connected. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by tiramg View Post
    I see people are using Tasker to automate the pattern unlock...
    is it possible to have it turn off screen unlock?
    When I'm home i just want to hit the power button and go right to my homescreen. I don't even want to see the lockscreen.
    Yes tasker is amazing! If you have a home Wi-Fi network you can set that up very easily. Also you can do it with the cell towers around your house.

Quote Originally Posted by bigblt View Post
    I have a profile I call secret camera that does exactly what you're asking. Your phone must be rooted and you need to have the app SECURE SETTINGS installed.

NEW PROFILE-(Whatever Name You Want)
    Select State/Plug Ins/Secure Settings/Edit Configuration to
    Failed Login Attempts to 1 and check the box for Device Admin Enabled.
    New Task(whatever name you want)
    Select Action/Media/Take Photo-set to front camera-Filename(whatever you want) Check Box To Insert Into Gallery And Box For Discreet. Then Set The Resolution To Your Preference. Press The Confirm Checkmark And ENJOY!!!!
    I'm doing this as well but added a task after taking the picture to automatically upload the picture to Dropbox using the Dropsync App plug in.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    CM 7.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by Voice-Guy View Post
    I'm doing this as well but added a task after taking the picture to automatically upload the picture to Dropbox using the Dropsync App plug in.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    I also used this profile and added a pop up message: "Uh Oh! I just took your photo!"

Select Action / Alert / Popup / Title it whatever you want "Uh Oh!"/In Text, put whatever message you want them to see. / Set timeout to whatever you want / press checkmark and you're done.
    Last edited by toasty87; 08-27-2012 at 04:58 PM.

New to Tasker, and Android, but here is what I have so far (granted this is HTC One S):

Tasks
    WiFi On:
    WiFi = On

WiFi Off:
    WiFi = Off

Data On:
    Mobile Data = On
    Mobile Data APN = On

Data Off:
    Mobile Data = Off
    Mobile Data APN = Off

AutoSync:
    AutoSync = On
    Wait = 30 Minutes
    AutoSync = Off

Arrive Work:
    WiFi = On
    Ringer Volume = 2

Leave Work:
    WiFi = Off
    Ringer Volume = 7

Profiles:

WiFi/Data Toggle (This one saves me some on battery when I'm connected to WiFi):
    Context = WiFi Connected
    Task = Data Off
    End Task = Data On

Home:
    Context: Location = GPS Of Home (I just use a wide-radius Net and not GPS itself)
    Task = WiFi On
    End Task = WiFi Off

Work:
    Context: Location = GPS Of Work (Same as home for coordinates)
    Task = Arrive Work
    End Task = Leave Work

AutoSync Work (Great to sync all my days work up before leaving):
    Context: WiFi Connected | Time = 1600 - 1700 | Active Profile = Work
    Task = AutoSync

AutoSync Home (Overnight sync):
    Context: WiFi Connected | Time = 0100 - 0200 | Active Profile = Home
    Task = AutoSync
    Notes: So AutoSync home requires my profile to be set to home, even at 1am. Main reason is on the weekends if I'm out at the club, one of the clubs has a WiFi that I connect to. I don't want my phone AutoSync'ing when I'm not at home regardless of the hour of the day.

That is all I have for now. Keep in mind I've only had the app installed for about an hour. I tried to set it up so some of my profiles would cascade if needed. I'll post more as I come up with them.
    Founding Member, Solavei
    Contact me to become a part of the Solavei Revolution! startyourtrio [dot] com

I'm considering tasker, however, a question.

Can I disable LTE at work and leave 3g running? My GN drains horribly if it's constantly searching for LTE. I can't seem to do this with CM10 Profiles or NFC.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast