Why Removable Battery > Removable Memory

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
After paying attention to it since having this device, everyone I know who can't replace their batteries is frequently tethered to a cord for a good portion of their day or night. That includes pretty much everyone I know with Androids (with no ability to swap batteries) or iPhones.

My son and I? We simply swap batteries, and go about our business. It takes less than a minute and we don't have to stay close to an outlet/USB port.

Besides all the other goodness of the Nexus and pure ICS, the removable battery is definitely the trump card compared to comparable devices that don't have that capability. And 32GB is way more than I think I'll ever fill up thanks to cloud services (e.g. Google Music, Dropbox, etc.).

The removable battery consideration alone is something that should strongly be considered when choosing a 4G device, IMHO.

bigcatman

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
After paying attention to it since having this device, everyone I know who can't replace their batteries is frequently tethered to a cord for a good portion of their day or night. That includes pretty much everyone I know with Androids (with no ability to swap batteries) or iPhones.

My son and I? We simply swap batteries, and go about our business. It takes less than a minute and we don't have to stay close to an outlet/USB port.

Besides all the other goodness of the Nexus and pure ICS, the removable battery is definitely the trump card compared to comparable devices that don't have that capability. And 32GB is way more than I think I'll ever fill up thanks to cloud services (e.g. Google Music, Dropbox, etc.).

The removable battery consideration alone is something that should strongly be considered when choosing a 4G device, IMHO.

I totally agree. I love having a removable battery way more than a removable SD card. I actually enjoy having it all in one place a lot more than fragmented internal/external. It's a lot easier to keep everything organized this way.

Batteries definitely deteriorate over time and having to replace the ENTIRE device because of that fact is ridiculous. I realize that the shelf life of our devices is way shorter than the life of a battery, but the point still stands.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Is why I got the charger and spare battery when I got the phone. Having a fully charged spare battery sure beats a non removable battery, even a huge one like the razrmaxx.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I guess I just don't use my phone hard enough. I have the GSM model so no LTE drain, but I never have battery anxiety with this device. Regularly getting 13-16 hours with 3 hours screen on time.

I realize that it is important though. If you're a power user you like the ability to swap batteries.

That being said, I'd trade having a user-replaceable battery for a battery of the size of the RAZR MAXX at 3300mAh that's completely worth it.

Newport Viper

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
But it's the best phone! :p

iPhone Owners

Your one-year warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. You can extend your coverage to two years from the date of your iPhone purchase with the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone. During the plan’s coverage period, Apple will replace the battery if it drops below 50% of its original capacity. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery replacement for $79, plus $6.95 shipping, subject to local tax. Apple disposes of your battery in an environmentally friendly manner.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I will not buy a phone that I cannot remove both the battery and the sd card. It is as simple as that. One of the selling points for me and android is choice. I like it and want no restrictions. Even something as simple as which battery I use

Charged up post!

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
The thing is things change, like now you can stream your music from cloud or Google music, so expandable memory isn't so required.

Let's day they solve the battery issue and all batteries are now 48 hours, are you really going to stick with your I will only have removable battery mantra? What if you can now charge your battery in 5 minutes?

Technology is dynamic and you should be too.

I will not...! ! Huff puff...

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I work with computers so I can charge at work, I charge in the car, and of course I charge it at home. I'm not away from any one of those places long enough to wear my battery down. If I am away I'm not usually using the phone much.

Westifire

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
The thing is things change, like now you can stream your music from cloud or Google music, so expandable memory isn't so required.

This. Cloud storage is what makes a battery/memory choise easy for me. Games are the only thing that takes up memory for me.

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Cloud storage and the carriers moving to lower limits or throttling, even for unlimited users, makes me glad I can store all my music locally. But then I may have less music than some.

axne1

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
To me having two batteries this summer is very important. have the oem extended battery and the 1 that came with the device. I just need to buy an extra charger. The razor max is nice when it comes to battery capacity. But karen a little battery isn't easy work around for what were getting in our Nexus. :)

Sent using speech to text
Galaxy Nexus.

DancesWithFarts

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
i have the extra battery with the portable charger. don't really use it anymore as it was a hassle taking the seidio case off every time to change it because i'd swap batteries twice a day (i use it a lot). it's just easier to charge it.

any 4g phone is going to be a slave to power outlets.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
i have the extra battery with the portable charger. don't really use it anymore as it was a hassle taking the seidio case off every time to change it because i'd swap batteries twice a day (i use it a lot). it's just easier to charge it.

any 4g phone is going to be a slave to power outlets.

Ha! Not when you have multiple batteries and swap out as needed. :) I rarely if ever tether my Thunderbolt to a charger anymore. All the batteries (2 standard 1400mAh, 2 Rezound 1620mAh, and 1 extended 2750mAh) are kept charged via a Seidio Multi-Function battery charger. Thus, for me, a non-removable battery is a deal breaker! Not so much for removable storage, although I strongly prefer an SD card just to have the option. USB Mass storage is an absolute requirement though.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Ha! Not when you have multiple batteries and swap out as needed. :) I rarely if ever tether my Thunderbolt to a charger anymore. All the batteries (2 standard 1400mAh, 2 Rezound 1620mAh, and 1 extended 2750mAh) are kept charged via a Seidio Multi-Function battery charger.

That's not really helping your point. Carrying around a bunch of batteries is no better than carrying around a charger and searching for outlets lol.

Either way its extra crap you shouldn't have to have just to use your phone for the whole day.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
That's not really helping your point. Carrying around a bunch of batteries is no better than carrying around a charger and searching for outlets lol.

Either way its extra crap you shouldn't have to have just to use your phone for the whole day.

I agree with the 2nd statement but until they can drastically improve battery life, it is what it is. But for now, it is much more preferable in my book to simply carry an extra battery so I can quickly swap and continue my day/evening on the move, as opposed to being stuck in a stationary position a few feet away from an outlet. A battery swap is far less an evil than being stuck near an outlet.

DancesWithFarts

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Ha! Not when you have multiple batteries and swap out as needed. :) I rarely if ever tether my Thunderbolt to a charger anymore. All the batteries (2 standard 1400mAh, 2 Rezound 1620mAh, and 1 extended 2750mAh) are kept charged via a Seidio Multi-Function battery charger. Thus, for me, a non-removable battery is a deal breaker! Not so much for removable storage, although I strongly prefer an SD card just to have the option. USB Mass storage is an absolute requirement though.

you're like mad max when he was asked to disarm, putting about 20 weapons on the table that were concealed underneath his coat :eek:

lol

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

I should've clarified a bit more: I don't carry around all the batteries, sometimes just one. The point was that the phone isn't tethered to a charger. Also, I easily make it through a day with one battery, even the 1400mAh. Thunderbolt battery life has greatly improved since the last Gingerbread update in November. Also, believe it or not, LTE going live back in Oct. 2011 also helped my battery life by virtually eliminating signal switching or loss as the LTE signal is very strong (-50 to -80dBm).

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
To me, the removable battery is not an issue since you can always buy one of those portable chargers. They come in several different sizes to fit your needs and some are about the same size as carrying an extra battery or two. Nowadays, both these problems (non-removable battery and non-removable memory) can be solved by buying the appropriate accessory or finding an alternate method.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon