Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Do you have black dots on black?

I love this phone but have to ask if other folks have these deep black dots on black blsck screens. It looks like speckles to me, but I'm wondering if this is an SAMOLED problem that is typical and I should bother trying for a new unit. I will try.uploading a.long exposure photo tomorrow. What I am wondering is who kept their phone after noticing this issue.

Default Re: Do you have black dots on black?

I have had the same issue. I noticed it back in Jan a couple weeks after i got my phone. I chose to keep the phone and not bother with it since i dont notice it when im watching videos or playing games. Let me know what you find out and ill keep checking this thread!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Here is a photo I was able to capture using the negative effect. Imagine a very sllightly illuminated screen and these, after your eyes adjust, are perceptible.

Quote Originally Posted by techno_techie View Post
    Here is a photo I was able to capture using the negative effect. Imagine a very sllightly illuminated screen and these, after your eyes adjust, are perceptible.

yikes. never seen that on a GN.

are you within your 14 days?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

This was a replacement unit. So, it's my insured handset. Wonder if I can call Asurion and have it replaced...again.

I would return that post haste.
    Galaxy Note 3 & Nexus 7 (16 GB)

If I helped you or you like what I said, hit "Thanks" or "Like".

This was a replacement unit. So, it's my insured handset. Wonder if I can call Asurion and have it replaced...again.
    you can. i would for sure.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I wonder if this was a refurbished unit. Do I go through Asurion or Verizon? I'm just a little angry. The first one had what looked like a smudge in the right inner corner. This one has this speckle. Wth? I love this phone, but damn.

Amoled screen issue. I have similar specks on my RAZR. There are post about this on different phones with Amoled screens too. Funny thing is I had a G Nex and it either didnt have it or was less noticeable than my RAZR.

IMHO...if most everything else is working fine....I wouldnt even bother replacing it. You risk replacing one problem with another one more serious... I dont notice it on my RAZR unless in certain conditions. And those conditions I'm not in alot.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

What I read tells me that it is an AMOLED issue. And I've researched (for my degree), AMOLED extensively. My thought is that these were not properly layered. It would not explain why, however these dots show up only on black. It seems excessive to me, all of the artifacts.

I used an app called LCD test which allows for a full-screen pixel test, if anyone else is interested in seeing if their device has this problem.
    Thanked by:

Jeez what took you so long, send it back immediately. It's worth possibly getting a worse phone and having to send that back till they get it right
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I noticed it last week, but thoroughly investigated last night and today. I was hesitant since there are wide reporta of this. But it is going back.
    Last edited by techno_techie; 02-18-2012 at 10:59 PM. Reason: i have a dri..spelling problem.

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts
    ROM
    Codenameandroid 1.3

Definitely a defective unit. I had the same problem but with purple dots and the deep dark blacks were purple also

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Italiano Papi

Global Posts
    3,542 Global Posts
    ROM
    iOS 5.1

Defect. I had to go through 3 GNs until it was right.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Just swapped out the Xoom Tablet for an IPhone. I never ever thought I would get an IPhone. Im currently eating my words. Apple has a lot going on here....Im loving both platforms.

that's called dark spot. and it exist on all amoled display.
    its almost impossible to notice them when screen light's on.. only noticable when u r in dark room and screen on dark color.
    the reason y it happen is that.. they gotta spray organic material evenly thruout the TFT panel, but its almost impossible to do so.
    by looking at your screen, ur dark spot is very mild, ive seen alot worse.
    jroc likes this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Here is a clearer photo. I feel that for $300 on contract and $700 off, this should not be "normal". I didn't have this problem on my Fascinate. But then again, I wonder if the Fascinate actually did turn off the pixels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do you have black dots on black?-dsc_0039-2-1024x678-.jpg  

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

I have a similar pattern on mine but it doesnt bother me one bit. I don't notice it unless the screen is off in a dark room and that means it's not in use. Well within manufacturing tolerances imo

Global Posts
    6,666 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

(snip....)I used an app called LCD test which allows for a full-screen pixel test, if anyone else is interested in seeing if their device has this problem.
    FYI
    Upon reading about your issue I ran that LCD test app on my phone and did not have any black dots (speckles) at all showing.
    Thanked by:

If it's a defect, replacement or not, asurion or not, I'd take it back to Verizon, or call CS to have a replacement sent to you. It shouldn't go through, or have anything to do with asurion.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by davidnc View Post
    FYI
    Upon reading about your issue I ran that LCD test app on my phone and did not have any black dots (speckles) at all showing.
    Same here no spots. Guess I got lucky with my gnex haven't had any of the problems some have had with this phone.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock

Downloaded the same app (LCD Test). Result: Not a spec. Clearly a defect.
    Thanked by:
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Calling VZW today. Thank you so much to those of you who checked. Mine you can see when watching in a dark room. I was using netflix when i saw the splotches.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Called them. Going to have to go through Asurion.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Asurion was super awesome. Sending a new unit, and I will test that one. Here's hoping for no banding or smudges (my first GN) and no speckled egg (this one). Once you see the speckle you cannot unsee the speckle.
    Terrigno likes this.

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I see the same thing when i watch netflix in the dark and a black screen comes on. Other than that I never see it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast