Excessive Data Usage...from GALLERY??

hellorabbit

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
So out of the blue I decided to go ahead and check on my data usage to see how close I was to my limit (4 gigs) and lo and behold, the highest app by far was GALLERY? I'm not synced with G+ or piccassa or any other image sharing app to my knowledge. I went ahead and restricted background data but I have no idea if this will do anything. Anyone have any insight/ have the same problem? Thanks!

Danv1369

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
are you referring to accounts and sync? because i have had that off since day 1 :|

in google+ go to settings and see if the Turn on Instant Upload is checked. This could be the issue. Do you have any wallpaper apps installed?

Also go to the Gallery App settings and see if Google Photos Sync is on. Turn it off or check the Sync on Wifi only check box.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
So out of the blue I decided to go ahead and check on my data usage to see how close I was to my limit (4 gigs) and lo and behold, the highest app by far was GALLERY? I'm not synced with G+ or piccassa or any other image sharing app to my knowledge. I went ahead and restricted background data but I have no idea if this will do anything. Anyone have any insight/ have the same problem? Thanks!

I still think this is why Google went with a 5mp camera, so it would use less data syncing. Back to the point, there are a lot of settings to go through so let us know what happens.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

hellorabbit

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
in google+ go to settings and see if the Turn on Instant Upload is checked. This could be the issue. Do you have any wallpaper apps installed?

Also go to the Gallery App settings and see if Google Photos Sync is on. Turn it off or check the Sync on Wifi only check box.

I followed this advice and the gallery app hasn't used any more data since. Thanks for the help and I will update in a couple of days for more accurate results.

MetalPhoenix79

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I followed this advice and the gallery app hasn't used any more data since. Thanks for the help and I will update in a couple of days for more accurate results.

I have the same problem. I'm at 2GB and my gallery is roughly half that. Google+ sync, Google+ instand upload, and photo sync are off. I'm on unlimited data but I worry if I should ever lose unlimited data I'm screwed. By the end of the month I'm at 4-8GB just from the gallery. Generally the gallery uses over half of my total data for the month. I do tether but not very much at all.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Yeah this annoys me too.. Im not even sure why it does that.. I dont even have google plus on my phone.. SMH Yet it uses 100MB by itself..

Toady00

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I have unlimited data, and have instant uploads turned on. I also use the G+ app itself. But the gallery app isn't even listed. So far G+ has only used 17MB

Edit: Just looked at my transformer prime and it's gallery app is using data, although not much. 10MB

G2 owner

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
If you have syncing turned on it usually will look for any web services to upload / download your pictures from. Try turning of syncing and see if it stops using up that much data.

imarek3

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I have Onavo installed to watch my data and sometimes when I update an app, I get a notification that Gallery is hogging data. So, in my case the data usage for the Android Market app is being reported as being used by the Gallery. I think it could be a case of mistaken identity.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have G+ disabled and the gallery app set to sync over WiFi only and instant upload is off but yet since 11 Feb mine has used almost 600M

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I have Onavo installed to watch my data and sometimes when I update an app, I get a notification that Gallery is hogging data. So, in my case the data usage for the Android Market app is being reported as being used by the Gallery. I think it could be a case of mistaken identity.

That could make sense, especially if you've installed a new ROM, done a factory reset or activated a new phone, since the market will sync with your account and download ALL your apps at once -- that can definitely amount to a lot of data.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
My Gallery still hogs data like no tomorrow. All sync and or instant uploads are turned off. Since 11 May its used 2.5G. Its nuts that I can not figure out why this is happening. Anyone have any other ideas?

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
I have Google+ instant upload activated and Galley is set to sync over Wifi. I rarely see Gallery high on my data usage list.

However, what I do see is something called "Android Media Server", and that averages around 200MB a month.

What's even weirder is that the list names change. I just went in and checked and "Android Media Server" isn't even listed anymore, but YouTube is listed at 210MB.

Even worse, although the total data used is pretty close to Verizon's widget, if I add up the individual amounts for each app, they never add up to the total. For example, Rhapsody is always under reported. It's saying I used only 63.58MB, but I know for a fact that the total number went up by several hundred during a recent long road trip. So there is an issue with the accuracy of the usage by individual apps.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Mine was over wifi too. I guess what gets me is what data is the gallery actually using that its consuming so much? My pics arent getting uploaded to anything that I have it set to anyway. So what sneaky thing is going on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos