Anyone in the Miami (or near), Florida Area Getting Bad 4G?

Iceycold

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
*I posted this over on XDA as well to get more input.. I wanted to see a broad idea of the people getting good/bag 4g.

Hello everyone. Anyone in the Miami area or near Miami, FL, getting good or bad 4G.?

Well on my 2nd GNexus here with bad 4g (no 4g or flakey 4g) Tried 4.0.2 -> 4.0.4. radios.

I get 1 bar for 5 minutes and boom it's gone till I reboot or sim card pull, tried a new sim card as well.

And yes, I know, Samsung's radios aren't the best but this ridiculous.

Just seeing what kind of 4g people are getting in my area.

Thanks.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I think I will try for a 3rd, too, but I want to wait for the OTA update.

Please post and let me know if you end up with a new GNex or a refurb.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
BTW - they did an investigation in my area and what they found is that there are 3 towers within close proximity to me - one is 4G and the other two are 3G and that they interfere with each other. They said they have no plans to do anything about it.

Can you believe that? They admit there is a problem but won't do anything to correct it. WTF?

Iceycold

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
How long did your investigation take?

edit: If this problem doesn't get fixed I'm staying with my 4 bar 3g no way im letting go of this phone.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
How long did your investigation take?

edit: If this problem doesn't get fixed I'm staying with my 4 bar 3g no way im letting go of this phone.
Under a week. They sent a tower engineer out to the tower and then they had another tech drive the area and measure the signal.

Their response was that I live in a known trouble area but there are no plans to convert the 3G towers to 4G at this time. I think eventually they will, but right now they can't tell me anything more.

Iceycold

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Alright, thanks for the info, atleast I know what to expect.

It's gonna be hard for us to adjust to rarely having a 4g symbol on the phone now :/ Meh, 3g 4 bar is realllly strong & fast.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully for you, you live in a more densely populated area and they will respond better to you than to me in my not so densely populated area.

bob52r

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
CORAL GABLES, near miami- it took 4 nexuses until i hit one that worked correctly. the first two had horrible radios. techs in the stores are commission sales men and most are incompetent and looking only to sell and make their numbers. the engineering field reports were good for only one thing. enineering said that the isn't 4 g in my area despite my office being 12 blocks from a 4g tower and my home 2 miles away and there being a second 4g tower close by me. if they couldn't deliver as their advertising promised, they would have to let me out of th contract and start again with a discounted iphone

The 2nd level technicians--some are very good and many have no idea. The phones have a one year guarrantee--they will not volunteer--you must go through their diagostic tree with them and finally do a factory re-set and restore. if it still doesn't work they send you a new phone.

my third phone had great radios and retained the dignal for 4g almost constantly at home and work. driving around town, i would go in and out of 4g and not drop voice signal nor data. one problem--the phone would not charge battery. after hanging-up on 4 techies until i got one who know which end was up--all 2nd level techies. i will not talk to the level one techies. it turns out the fail to charge was a known software problem which would require a factory reset...it still did not work. i called executive offices and threw a calm, polite fit.

they promised me my next nexus would work or they would let me out of the contract and i could get an iphone.

well the fourth phone works great and was brand new. i am happy. now i only have the basic problems of owning a new model phone with a new operating system.

I live and work in coral gables--right in the middle of their strong 4g zone. i now have fast 4g all around me.
when i drive in the car. i may lose and regain 4g, but i don't have any reconnecting problems like with th first 2 phones.

Best of luck--i hope your road to a good working nexus is easier than mine. Ther is a 4g tower in downtown CG and another near dadeland

Iceycold

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Wow upstream your near me bro lol :)

I'm on my third one, and this one at the very least has 4G but at 1 bar all the time IN MY HOUSE, so when I go out the 4g is stronger I'm fine with that.

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
That's insane. How can the engineers site towers to cause this issue? How can they tell the customers to $:)& off? And this is the number one provider?