Whats the best sms messenger app for GN

eth555

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Seems like a lot of people are recommending Go SMS. I was using Chomp but decided to try Go SMS; but I can't seem to get it to work with Light Flow. Chomp worked fine; I have tried Go SMS with the notification light set to on and tried it set to off and I get nothing either way. Anyone have similar issues/ideas? TIA

Dirty-Bird

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Seems like a lot of people are recommending Go SMS. I was using Chomp but decided to try Go SMS; but I can't seem to get it to work with Light Flow. Chomp worked fine; I have tried Go SMS with the notification light set to on and tried it set to off and I get nothing either way. Anyone have similar issues/ideas? TIA

Finally got GO SMS working with light flow. In GO SMS i just disabled led notification and undid the option to disable all other sms notifications. Also make sure the setting to turn the screen on when you receive a message. Because then of course the light wont come on immediately. Hopefully that will work. I did have issues at first. Don't know if updates were made to light flow or GO SMS to make it work.

OutofStep13

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently using the stock messenger.
I normally love using GoSMS but was having a problem with it sending texts to the wrong person and showing different names in my messaging list. Not sure if this was because of a ROM or ICS.

mcaspe1

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently using the stock messenger.
I normally love using GoSMS but was having a problem with it sending texts to the wrong person and showing different names in my messaging list. Not sure if this was because of a ROM or ICS.

I had the same issue with gosms. I actually am using the vz messages app. Its not in the market but I was able to find it through someone here in the forums. Works great on the Gnex.

eth555

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Finally got GO SMS working with light flow. In GO SMS i just disabled led notification and undid the option to disable all other sms notifications. Also make sure the setting to turn the screen on when you receive a message. Because then of course the light wont come on immediately. Hopefully that will work. I did have issues at first. Don't know if updates were made to light flow or GO SMS to make it work.

Sweet! Turning off the option to disable all other SMS notifications worked! Thanks!

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
STOCK SMS--som negatives are they fixed by another app:
-the key board doesn't prmitt me to drop down to the next line eg create a new paragraph
-rarely the text app will disappear and i will have to re-enter the text app from the home page to continue-
very strange the way it happens. sometimes it willl only happen once, other times it will happen twice

thanks for any suggestions. i am new to android
For the first 'problem' (the inability to create a newline) that's not the keyboard's fault, it's the app. The messaging app in Android sets the text field to be a short message - which by design means you don't expect to type paragraphs, like if you're writing an email.
Some third-party texting apps give you the option of letting you create separate paragraphs when texting.

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why more people don't just use google voice as it saves you like $240 a year ($20 per month unlimited texts on verizon) plus free visual voicemail and all messages are stored in the cloud.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

hyperdude

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why more people don't just use google voice as it saves you like $240 a year ($20 per month unlimited texts on verizon) plus free visual voicemail and all messages are stored in the cloud.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
I use GV for voicemail, and have SMS Backup+ to backup my texts to the cloud (Gmail account). I'm on my family's plan, so IIRC unlimited texting is $10. Plus I rather like the stock texting app. Simple, clean, it works.

CallerHoller

May 9, 2010
Visit site
SMS popup is my fav Stock SMS enhancer. Worked best on my OG Droid. Although it didn't work right when I first got my Thunderbolt.

I tried GoSMS a couple of times the lack of customization for the popup was a deal breaker. So I had to use Handcent for my Thunderbolt. HTC displays all attached pics as a slideshow, which is so annoying I didn't use stock on the Thunderbolt.

SMS popup works great on the GN. So I'm back to using it with the stock Messenger.

evansgw

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I've tried go, chomp, hand cent, pansi... back to stock and gv.

Go seems to kill my phone, it slows everything down and causes crashes. I've tested it a number of times.

I don't like the UI of the others. I like clean and simple, with easy to find ways to attach files. Shame the stock apps struggle to send mms.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

finger11

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I've only used stock.

My only grip, and can't believe it's not an option, is that txts from days before today only have the date and not date AND time. It will only show the time of the text if the text is from today.

nismo591

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I use VZ Messages. Its the only sms app I have found to support group messaging

I have used handcent and gosms,preferred go but switched to verizon messager, its not all that customizable and doesnt have a lot of features but it supports group messaging. My phone was far too annoying without it. Im just shocked its the only app capable of this.

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Stock messaging is pretty pathetic. In the age of group SMS/MMS, how is it that the Nexus messaging app doesn't support group messaging. Well, I should take that back, it does support it, but doesn't format it very well. It's funny when people reply back, you only get the single messages and ultimately get confused.

Evil Hamster

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I have used handcent and gosms,preferred go but switched to verizon messager, its not all that customizable and doesnt have a lot of features but it supports group messaging. My phone was far too annoying without it. Im just shocked its the only app capable of this.

I also use VZ messages. The biggest feature for me is it synchs SMS messages with my Transformer Prime via wi-fi.

nismo591

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I also use VZ messages. The biggest feature for me is it synchs SMS messages with my Transformer Prime via wi-fi.

My messages sync with my xoom as well, its great for when you want to leave your phone charging on the counter and still text. Not sure why they still say its not ics capable. It was a pain to install.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12