Cannot receive text message with confirmation code

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to sign up for text alerts from a local tV station website. To finalize the request to receive text alerts it tells me that I will be receiving a confirmation text with a 5 digit code that I have to enter on my PC to complete the request. The problem is that I never receive the text with the code.

I do receive texts from Verizon and other people and also I can send them. I have called Verizon twice about this issue. The first time they told me the reason was that I had Premium Texts blocked, and I do now remember doing that some time back when I didn't have a text plan. So at my request they unblocked it and said it would take effect immediately. Fine. Easy solution...or so I thought. But it still didn't work. When I called Verizon the second time they confirmed that the text blocking feature had been removed and I also confirmed that myself online on My Account. So why isn't it working???

I thought perhaps an app might be blocking it. I uninstalled Call Patrol but still no go. Then I disabled Lookout and still it won't work. I don't see any other apps that would effect text messages on my phone. I am using the stock messaging app for texts.

Does anyone have any idea what blcoking my text confirmation message? I am at a loss as to what to check or do next.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Possible workaround...

On a computer (you can do on cell but it's a pia), go to your gmail up top click on 'more' and 'even more' and find Google voice, and set up a Google voice number. Use that number at the TV website. It'll send a text to your Google voice number and you'll be able too get your code.

you don't even have to use Google voice set up ringing or voicemail or give out that number or anything, just use it for this text.

However some sites don't allow Google voice numbers for use in verification but it's worth a shot.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I do have a Google Voice mail account already. I was using it before I had a text plan for free texts. I will try that.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Well that didn't work. Can't get the confirmation through either the stock messaging or the Google Voice number.

I am beginning to wonder if it is a problem from the TV station I am trying to get text alerts from rather than something on my phone. Hmmm.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Well I did email them after the last failure. I suppose being as it is the weekend I won't hear anything before Monday. Maybe they can email it to me. Or maybe there is a problem on their end. I'll post back what I find out....if anything.