Bad time to get one?

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
I've had a Droid Incredible for almost 2 years, and it still works, but I'm generally ready for an upgrade.

I was thinking about pulling the trigger and buying the Nexus this weekend in the store. I'm fairly convinced this will be a great phone, and a worthwhile upgrade. Concerns...

1. The price is still pretty steep. $250 after discount with a new 2 year contract. Do you think there will be a sale on the phone sometime soon, or just a general price reduction? Or perhaps it's cheaper somewhere online? I intend to renew my 2 year contract.

2. Did anyone consider the HTC Rezound? It's hard to overlook, when it's also 4G, it has a great screen and excellent overall specs, and it's $100! That's less than half the price... It doesn't have ICS, but I'm sure that's just a matter of time, right?

3. (edit) The mobile world conference is next week, but I'm thinking that verizon takes AGES to get anything that's announced there, if ever. Anyone disagree? I'd hate to get a new phone and then learn about some hot new thing, but if that hot new thing is 6 months away, I can deal.

What should I do?

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I've had a Droid Incredible for almost 2 years, and it still works, but I'm generally ready for an upgrade.

I was thinking about pulling the trigger and buying the Nexus this weekend in the store. I'm fairly convinced this will be a great phone, and a worthwhile upgrade. Concerns...

1. The price is still pretty steep. $250 after discount with a new 2 year contract. Do you think there will be a sale on the phone sometime soon, or just a general price reduction? Or perhaps it's cheaper somewhere online? I intend to renew my 2 year contract.

2. Did anyone consider the HTC Rezound? It's hard to overlook, when it's also 4G, it has a great screen and excellent overall specs, and it's $100! That's less than half the price... It doesn't have ICS, but I'm sure that's just a matter of time, right?

What should I do?
Check out Costco and Amazon Wireless for your upgrade.

There are plenty of threads on the GNex vs. Rezound recently. My thoughts in sum - the Rezound is thick, heavy and ugly and has a washed out screen with a highly reflective piece of glass over it that makes it unusable outdoors in bright light.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
3. (edit) The mobile world conference is next week, but I'm thinking that verizon takes AGES to get anything that's announced there, if ever. Anyone disagree? I'd hate to get a new phone and then learn about some hot new thing, but if that hot new thing is 6 months away, I can deal.

What should I do?
The Rezound is old. If you want an HTC device, wait.

Newport Viper

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
benStillerDoIt.jpg

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Check out Costco
FYI - You can sometimes get a better deal in-store at Costco than at Costco online so check. It's $220 at Costco online right now for an upgrade but that comes with a car charger, screen protectors and some carrying cases. In early February they were also giving out a free extended battery. You can ask in-store if they still are doing that.

Just make sure if you have unlimited data now that you keep it and don't switch to a tiered plan.

NHBass39

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site

What should I do?

I am going through the same thing. Think I'm getting the Nexus though. I just need to wait till Thursday for my update. Rezound is a good phone to, Just don't have ICS.

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice... Didn't know that about Costco! I was going to head there today anyway, so I'll check it out. Does anyone think the Mobile World Conference thing is likely to announce anything cool coming to Verizon soon?

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
From the time they announce something new it'll be months before it's released. So if you got the bug now, this is the way, otherwise stop looking and stop thinking about it and in the summer turn on your computer and read about leaks for the fall and hope they come a Christmas, and definitely around iphone 5 time this year. But only if you can table your looking until then.

NHBass39

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
From the time they announce something new it'll be months before it's released. So if you got the bug now, this is the way, otherwise stop looking and stop thinking about it and in the summer turn on your computer and read about leaks for the fall and hope they come a Christmas, and definitely around iphone 5 time this year. But only if you can table your looking until then.

I agree. It will be a long time before new phones are released. Get one of two now and enjoy it.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
From the time they announce something new it'll be months before it's released.
From what I have read, the HTC One X (Endeavor/Edge) is rumored to be out in Europe and Asia in April. They are likely to announce a release date at the MWC, although not necessarily for Verizon.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I would think at least the Rezound would get ics first. Read over there, they're pissed. They have till June to officially call Verizon liars as they were promised "early 2012".

Reactions: Jon1029

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I would think at least the Rezound would get ics first. Read over there, they're pissed. They have till June to officially call Verizon liars as they were promised "early 2012".
Maybe, but the process for approving an update is a different one from the carriers ordering a new phone.

Anyhow, you will know soon enough when they announce it at MWC.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Put it this way... will you be rooting? IF so, typically, the amount of development is unmatched on the Nexus devices. Also, the next nexus will be around november if the past 2 releases are anything to go by- but not necessarily released by then on verizon.

Honestly, has anyone seen a huge change from single core to dual core? If you get a dual core Nexus, will you really regret not having waited 6months for a non nexus quad core?

Nexus: The increased resolution, The bigger screen, The onscreen and hackable android buttons one could argue are a nice add... What is going to be announced that would make you regret buying the GNex? You have LTE, and with the official extended battery "acceptable" battery life. What is the phone missing? A better camera? Are you willing to take a better camera for a lack of timely OS updates? Nexus is the only phone guaranteed to get Jellybean one way or another (either via OTA or root) the other phones...not so much.

Best reason to get a nexus? 32GB of storage AVAILABLE FOR APPS. No more moving to SD card nonsense. No other phone has this. Reason enough to not buy NON ICS shipping phones. That matter alone pretty much makes this phone worth a 2 year upgrade over other recent released phones in my mind. If the Galaxy Note had more than 2GB of app storage- I'd take it more seriously. I don't care if they pushed out ICS NEXT WEEK for the Note, Razr, or Rezound they'll still only have a few GB of app storage for the next 2 years...

Last edited:

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Decided to pick up a Nexus at Costco today... Seemed like a decent deal. I liked the form factor better than the Rezound, and I'm ready to try something other than HTC. Got it for $220, which includes a free extended battery/cover, and a couple of cheesy cases/screen protectors that I won't use.

Nice thing is, Costco has a 90 day exchange policy so if something decent comes out in the next three months, I can exchange it.

Got the phone mostly set up already, and it's definitely a solid device, looking forward to using it!

I do plan on rooting, but I'll likely just wait until the 14 day return period is up, just to be safe. Even then, I want to try it stock for a while and see how it goes.

dsuppa

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Decided to pick up a Nexus at Costco today... Seemed like a decent deal. I liked the form factor better than the Rezound, and I'm ready to try something other than HTC. Got it for $220, which includes a free extended battery/cover, and a couple of cheesy cases/screen protectors that I won't use.

Nice thing is, Costco has a 90 day exchange policy so if something decent comes out in the next three months, I can exchange it.

Got the phone mostly set up already, and it's definitely a solid device, looking forward to using it!

I do plan on rooting, but I'll likely just wait until the 14 day return period is up, just to be safe. Even then, I want to try it stock for a while and see how it goes.

You can unlock and root now that way when you decide to keep it you don't have to wipe the phone, also you can always relock and return the phone to stock if you decide to return, there's a tool in the Roms and hacks section that does it all through a UI

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781