Is the battery life that bad?

dirt101

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Went to vzw store yesterday to mess with the Nexus and Maxx and the guy there really tried to steer me away from the GN due to bad "battery drain issues" and was praising the Maxx. Just thought Id ask on here and get some input from people who have them. The guy who helped me has been there for a long time and Ive gotten my last 2 phones from him. Any input is appreciated as Ill probably jump on the 100$ off sale today.

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
The RAZR Maxx has a bigger battery so the battery life should be better. You should get the extended battery for the GNex as it does not make the phone any bigger (not noticeable). Mine is rooted, running a custom ROM and I usually get about 16 hours battery life. That is subjective, but let me put it this way. The Gnex with the extended battery has the best battery life of any VZ smartphone with the exception of the Razr Maxx.

ScooberJake

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
If battery life is very important to you, then I can understand someone choosing a Razr Maxx. Otherwise, I don't understand that choice.

Personally, I put a charger here at my desk at work and I have no issues with the battery life.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Read the countless threads the countless lies. If you use the phone it will not last the screen is worse then the 4g radios. Motorola has features to help improve battery better radios better build

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

Castor_troyy

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
No, in my opinion the battery life is good for the specs of this phone. I mean, its pretty powerful so you can't expect crazy battery life. I just got the extended battery myself and I can make it through an entire day with moderate usage.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Any verizon rep is going to push you towards a droid phone over the gn. The droid is filled with all their bloat junk and the gn has none. I have no doubt that the maxx battery will last longer, but my gn goes all day for me and that's all I need.

If you're the kind of person that just wants to activate your device and use it as is, and you like the screen and feel of the maxx, get it...it's a fine phone. If you like to play with your phone and install and unending source of ROMs, always running the latest version of android, then get the gn. If I were buying a new phone today, the only one I would consider is the gn. But I enjoy all the developer support and don't wouldn't want to be living in the maxx forum constantly asking/reading "when is the maxx going to get ICS?"

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Just keep in mind that The MAXX has a battery pretty much twice the size of the gnex. It is going to last a LOT longer. However, if you arent ridiculous about having your phone on longer than 4 or 5 hours a day you will be able to make it through a day of battery life with the extended battery. I have the stock battery and I now have no problems getting through my day.

chriscw81

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Every time someone buys a razr maxx instead of a gn a baby seal gets clubbed. Why would you want that to happen? Make the right choice! Get a galaxy nexus and save the baby seals!!

sent from my Galaxy Nexus....probably while pooping

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Went to vzw store yesterday to mess with the Nexus and Maxx and the guy there really tried to steer me away from the GN due to bad "battery drain issues" and was praising the Maxx. Just thought Id ask on here and get some input from people who have them. The guy who helped me has been there for a long time and Ive gotten my last 2 phones from him. Any input is appreciated as Ill probably jump on the 100$ off sale today.
Given the size of the phone, screen, and etc., the battery life is not that bad on the phone. Would I personally like to see better battery life, definitely. But, the reality that just isn't possible at this moment in time. VZW, will almost always steer you towards a Motorola product because of the ad and marketing support those phones have and the kick back VZW receives from them.

The things that hold me back from purchasing something like the Motorola RAZR Maxx are these:
  • The screen is not as good as the GNex
  • Motorola Blur
  • The Bloatware
  • Non-removable battery.
  • No ICS

Read the countless threads the countless lies. If you use the phone it will not last the screen is worse then the 4g radios. Motorola has features to help improve battery better radios better build

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk
What countless lies are you referring to? By which standards are you alleging the screen on the GNex being worse? Worse than what? How exactly is Motorola's build better?

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I think the battery life on the GNex is okay. It could be better.

Look at your choice this way:

If you want okay battery life and a better phone (my opinion) get the GNex

If you want an inferrior phone (again my opinion) and great battery life get the Max

Either way, you will probably be okay with your choice. These are the two best phones out at the moment. (again my opinion)

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
My battery life is just fine, similar to my prior HTC Incredible (I don't have 4G though). The screen uses a lot of it, and the screen rocks. I could never see the Dinc screen in bright sunlight, and this one I can see great. And you can see everything that uses battery and how much that app's been running which is a nice feature of ICS.

bakerbert

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
battery life is a tough one;
If you use your phone often for games, Netflix, Movies, Negation and other battery hogging apps then your battery is going to suck no matter what phone you pick. (max being the best).

I get by just fine on my Gnex with standard battery.
Average use (phone, text/email, web, facebook and some music) with 4g, a bunch of widgets running and I can make it all day with no problem.

Plus if you like to root/ROM, the Gnex has AWESOME dev support.

P.S (edit)
ICS is great and with the Gnex you will see the next operating system (Jelly Bean?) long before the Maxx will.
To me you will get a better bang for your buck in the way of software over the next two years with the Gnex.

Last edited:

Sploinkin

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget that with a GNex, you can take the battery out and put in a fresh one whenever you want!

I typically have 30-50% charge after a day's usage (16 hours, maybe 3 hours screen time tops) with the OEM Extended battery. I take the stock battery with me when traveling and those two will last a whole day of traveling: playing games, listening to podcasts, checking flights, etc.

IMO Get the Galaxy Nexus because ICS now (not soon) is worth it.

bacalao#CB

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
That maxx is a great phone. Get it if you fall in love with it in the store over the GN.
I chose the GN over the Maxx and the D4 mostly because of the software support (from google and devs) and the fact that I can swap batteries. I bought the samsung battery + battery charger and I always have a fresh battery in case I really need it. I find that I don't even plug my phone into a charger unless it is a heavy heavy day of use. I just swap out the battery to the charged one once a day. Gives it a fresh restart too, nothing wrong with that. although the battery lasts longer on the maxx, if you don't have a full charge you can't just swap battery and that's a deal breaker for me.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
battery life is a tough one;
If you use your phone often for games, Netflix, Movies, Negation and other battery hogging apps then your battery is going to suck no matter what phone you pick. (max being the best).

I get by just fine on my Gnex with standard battery.
Average use (phone, text/email, web, facebook and some music) with 4g, a bunch of widgets running and I can make it all day with no problem.

Plus if you like to root/ROM, the Gnex has AWESOME dev support.

P.S (edit)
ICS is great and with the Gnex you will see the next operating system (Jelly Bean?) long before the Maxx will.
To me you will get a better bang for your buck in the way of software over the next two years with the Gnex.

My guess... Around the time the Maxx is receiving ICS, we will be receiving Jelly Bean on our GNex. Just my opinion. I think that the Blurring process of ICS is more labor intensive and time consuming than Motorola expected. Not to mention it takes time to lockdown bloat.

Sent from one of the following: Galaxy Nexus, Bionic or Xoom using Tapatalk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith