This is definitely not up to Gorilla Glass standards

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
When deciding whether to purchase the Galaxy Nexus, one of the specs I disliked was the lack of Corning Gorilla Glass. I can't understand why such a high end phone would skimp out on such an important everyday hardware feature. At the time I had an HTC Sensation and has Gorilla Glass and I never used a screen protector and never had a scratch. Always kept it in my pocket. But I read that Samsung was saying they used an alternative "hardened glass". Plus the fact that I used a Nexus One that lacked Gorilla Glass and never got a scratch because it had a special "hardened glass" as well.

I have had the Nexus for 1 month and on Saturday, I briefly threw it into my coat pocket with my keys as I was running around getting my son ready for baseball tryouts. Realized my error, but by the time I took the phone out, it already had a deep quarter inch scratch on the left side of the screen, two-thirds the way down. This isn't just a light scratch either. When running my fingernail down the side, my nail actually falls into the crevice. To the right is an inch-long very light scratch that must have been where it started as the key raked across the screen as a I pulled it out of my pocket.

That's why I don't get all these YouTube videos showing keys scratching the Gnex. I think they are made up. How can a phone's screen survive a deliberate keying and yet not survive with a key in my pocket?

I absolutely hate screen protectors but I just ordered an InvisibleShield for it. At least that will cover hide the existing scratch a bit and prevent additional. This screen is definitely susceptible to scratches. And not just light ones. You probably don't have one yet, but eventually you'll catch one.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
When deciding whether to purchase the Galaxy Nexus, one of the specs I disliked was the lack of Corning Gorilla Glass. I can't understand why such a high end phone would skimp out on such an important everyday hardware feature. At the time I had an HTC Sensation and has Gorilla Glass and I never used a screen protector and never had a scratch. Always kept it in my pocket. But I read that Samsung was saying they used an alternative "hardened glass". Plus the fact that I used a Nexus One that lacked Gorilla Glass and never got a scratch because it had a special "hardened glass" as well.

I have had the Nexus for 1 month and on Saturday, I briefly threw it into my coat pocket with my keys as I was running around getting my son ready for baseball tryouts. Realized my error, but by the time I took the phone out, it already had a deep quarter inch scratch on the left side of the screen, two-thirds the way down. This isn't just a light scratch either. When running my fingernail down the side, my nail actually falls into the crevice. To the right is an inch-long very light scratch that must have been where it started as the key raked across the screen as a I pulled it out of my pocket.

That's why I don't get all these YouTube videos showing keys scratching the Gnex. I think they are made up. How can a phone's screen survive a deliberate keying and yet not survive with a key in my pocket?

I absolutely hate screen protectors but I just ordered an InvisibleShield for it. At least that will cover hide the existing scratch a bit and prevent additional. This screen is definitely susceptible to scratches. And not just light ones. You probably don't have one yet, but eventually you'll catch one.

No, I dont think I will get a scratch. I put screen protectors on my phones, I consider it a requirement for any touchscreen device I use. I dont buy the fact that certain screens are completely resistant to scratches. Sure there is proof out there that some really seem to be good at keeping scratches at bay, but I would be the lucky one to prove it wrong.

If the scratch is as deep as you say it is on your nexus, do you think it may be a crack?

BTW: sry if this post sounds condescending, I'm having a bad case of the Mondays today.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
No its not cracked. It's a small scratch, only 3cm. But it's fairly deep. It's not bad enough to really feel when running my fingertip over it. But it does catch my nail when running my nail across the screen.

I'm not worried about it as it's not right in the middle etc and it does not detract from the screen beauty. But, I am going to try the screen protector and see how it looks feels etc just to prevent a major scratch because this damage shows me that the Gnex has a fairly soft glass display. Tap it.. it almost feels plastic.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
:)
No its not cracked. It's a small scratch, only 3cm. But it's fairly deep. It's not bad enough to really feel when running my fingertip over it. But it does catch my nail when running my nail across the screen.

I'm not worried about it as it's not right in the middle etc and it does not detract from the screen beauty. But, I am going to try the screen protector and see how it looks feels etc just to prevent a major scratch because this damage shows me that the Gnex has a fairly soft glass display. Tap it.. it almost feels plastic.

I would recommend to you staying away from the anti-glare screen protectors. I have on e on my phone and it makes whites look pixelated and grainy. I have been meaning to get a regular protector for it.... Maybe ill pick one up today finally.

dsuppa

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
check out Ghost Armor, Ive used so many protectors on various devices and these ones were easily my favorites. Plus they have a lifetime warranty so if you get a new phone or your protector starts to get marked up just get another one put on for free. Not sure where youre located but they even have kiosks in malls here that you can go to and theyll do it for you for only $5 install.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
XO Skins got really good reviews here and elsewhere. I'm waiting for mine to come.

Also, Gorilla Glass scratches. I don't know where people get information saying otherwise, but all it takes is pressure (i.e. your pocket) and a hard material (i.e. sand or keys pushed against the screen) to cause a scratch. You need to be careful regardless of what type of glass your screen has. May it be fortified, regular, or Gorilla, you must also place the phone screen side down in your pocket and ensure that nothing can come between the inner pocket and the screen. Not doing so is playing with fire.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I dislike skins. With a passion. I never used a skin. Not on my original Droid. Not on my Incredible. Not on my Thunderbolt. I keep my phone in the same front pocket with my keys. Never once did I get a scratch.

Within two weeks of owning the Nexus It had a scratch on it. I relented and put a skin. Man I hate it.

Then, last week I dropped the phone. It hit the leg of a chair and the screen shattered. Now I'm with a new phone and am without a skin. But I put my keys in another pocket. And, I'm VERY careful whenever I take it out.

The Nexus is the most fragile phone I've owned. I need to be very careful handling it.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I dislike skins. With a passion. I never used a skin. Not on my original Droid. Not on my Incredible. Not on my Thunderbolt. I keep my phone in the same front pocket with my keys. Never once did I get a scratch.

Within two weeks of owning the Nexus It had a scratch on it. I relented and put a skin. Man I hate it.

Then, last week I dropped the phone. It hit the leg of a chair and the screen shattered. Now I'm with a new phone and am without a skin. But I put my keys in another pocket. And, I'm VERY careful whenever I take it out.

The Nexus is the most fragile phone I've owned. I need to be very careful handling it.

Yup. I keep my phone in a ******* sock. That should tell you all you need to know lol

jakeh0

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
my droid incredible screen was flawless after 18 months of abuse. my nexus has small scratches after a few months

arctic388

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
i had a droid charge for a year and screen never scratched. bought a nexus and second day (yes second day) it has a scratch. even with that i just can not use a screen protector. just hate the things.

bbruin66

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I can attest to the scratch fest this screen is. My OG droid survived 18 mos of abuse. Paint chips, dents all around the screen, the glass is flawless. The nexus on the other hand is scratched to hell and it always is in its own pocket. I think it comes from the times it has dropped or i've set it down other places. I think a screen protector is a lost cause at this point and maybe I'll throw an insurance claim in a few months. If anyone has really good screen protector ideas i'd be down. The scratches are only noticeable when the screen has a white background and I get a little bit of a rainbow effect in a few small places. But with the screen off in the sunlight I can see scratches of varying severity everywhere. I must be a sandy person.

PS I love my Nexus.

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
My nexus was scratched on week one! I hate protectors and have never used one on my thunderbolt, Droid 3, Droid 2, or Droid. None had scratches ever and i always kept then around keys and in my back pack with pens and pencils. I was ticked when my nexus scratched. It has three scratches from one week.

Lakhota

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Same thing happened to me. Very very cheap glass. Don't put it anywhere near coins or keys. Unfortunately, my is about a half inch long and dead center. I'll be buying a protector for.every phone from now on.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Wow.. I can see I am not alone lol.

As I said, I think every phone glass can be scratched, but some are more susceptible;e than others. The Galaxy Nexus seems to be one of those that has a very soft screen that easily scratched, Even when you knock on it with your knuckles, you don't get that solid tap you hear from HTC screens.

It baffles me why Google would skimp on the glass. I bet the bean counters told them they had to drop either NFC, Gorilla Glass, or the barometer, or the LED.. and the vote was to drop the better glass and go with a generic "hardened" glass.

Hardened my a**!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, but this morning I ordered two InvisibleShields for $26 shipped. Best Buy has them for $21 a piece plus tax. So I figured I could wait a couple days.

The Zaggs, right?

Take them back! They are garbage. Seriously. Cancel them if you can. I literally just went through that this weekend (see my thread in the accessories section). I waited 2 months to research screen protectors and got them on a whim. Worst impulse buy ever.

Pro's to Zagg:

Supposedly invincible

Negatives to Zagg:

Some have defects
Pain to get on
Orange peel
Tackiness
General quality seems to be lacking these days

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
these threads are ridiculous with the people who say they didnt scratch so and so phone but scratched this one......so you got lucky with the other phone and unlucky with this one......I had a droid for two years and it was scratched to hell and back. Ill have this phone for almost two years and it will be scratched to hell and back.....although currently its holding up great. It doesnt matter if its got gg or not if you put something harder than it on top of it and move it back and forth with pressure it will scratch. The op has got a deep scratch and hes blaming the glass. As if the mere presence of a set of key in his pocket caused enough pressure to create a deep scratch. Samsungs only mistake in not using gg was to give people the excuse to rationalize their own mishandling of their phones.

NordicNinja

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I've had my phone since launch with no case and no screen protection, it doesn't have any scratches or marks of any kind. How is this possible? I don't drop it and I don't put it into a pocket with keys/change etc.

I will admit that at times it is annoying to have to be concerned about scratching it, but seriously, it's a piece of shiny glass, you can't expect it to be scratch proof regardless of the brand of glass used.

All of that being said, there is a minor manufacturing imperfection in my screen surface, a slight dent in the glass. I can only see it when I tilt it back and forth in the light. I've always wondered if anyone else has anything like that?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie