Spilled water on my Nexus...

jcapen87

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
So long story short, I was an idiot and left my Nexus on the counter and filled up my sink. I was sidetracked by something and completely forgot about the sink and only reacted when I heard the water starting to hit the floor. By the time I got there, there was a thin layer of water over my whole counter and the back of the Nexus was wet. Luckily the phone was off because the battery had died 20 minutes earlier.

There is no water pouring out of the phone or anything, the water tabs haven't been tripped and there are no indications of water inside the device. I am only concerned about the speaker hole on the bottom of the phone's back. What is my best bet? I've heard about using a vacuum to gently take out some of the water and letting the thing soak in rice overnight, but given the circumstances i explained, do you think I'm safe to turn it on now?

I know I will be eventually, but I can't be without my phone. Thank God it was off at the time.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I would not take any chances. Let it soak in rice. I know you really want to turn it on, but maybe you should wait a while. How long have you had this phone? I'm sure you can come to some solution if you need to bring it back. I'm no expert on water damage, but it sounds like as long as you soak it, it could be okay. Good luck!! :)

jcapen87

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I would not take any chances. Let it soak in rice. I know you really want to turn it on, but maybe you should wait a while. How long have you had this phone? I'm sure you can come to some solution if you need to bring it back. I'm no expert on water damage, but it sounds like as long as you soak it, it could be okay. Good luck!! :)

I have had the phone for roughly 2 months, I traded my Razr to a friend for it. I don't have any type of insurance on it which is usually a no-brainer for me (even though I'm not typically careless with my phone). I guess the silver lining is that even it ends up not working, the water tabs aren't tripped which means I at least have a fighting chance of sneaking it by VZW/Samsung under warranty.

As much as it pains me to have to be without my phone, I think you're right. I'll probably just put it in rice and let science do its thing.

whiteth

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I read (I believe on Droid Life) that the company that does Verizon's phone insurance was under open enrollment right now meaning you could sign up even if you chose not to when the phone was purchased. Perhaps if the water tabs are intact you could buy the insurance and then take it back... little shady but worth a try if the rice thing doesn't work.

Sorry don't have time to find the link right now but a quick search on DL should find it for you.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
if you didnt completely submerge your phone there is a chance you could be okay. Theres also a chance ull get intermittent issues with your phone.

Do the rice thing, make sure its completely dry before you turn it on. leave it next to a heat source even. after you fire it up the first time, watch it closely for a day or two. Make sure nothing performs out of the ordinary.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
My phone a solder lol i spilled it in water twice, kicked it and spilled it in a box of apple jacks cereal lol and it's still working like i just bought it

Sent from my ZTE Score using Tapatalk

Hand_O_Death

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
anytime you are worried about water damage, you should pull the battery immediately (whether charged or not) and dismantle as many parts and open as many ports as you can. Then bury in a very dry substance (usually white rice) that will not get crumbs in the phone (all pieces). The other option is to lay it on the back of a CRT TV or monitor. The warm air circulation is just enough to dry out moisture.

Leave it there for about a day and as long as you feel that it is dry, then replace the battery and try turning it on. Try not plugging it in until your sure it works unless your battery is fully dead.

Good luck

speednut

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
My wife is famous for dunking her phone in the loo and getting me to fix it...

As others stated, pull the battery right away!!!
Blot it dry with the back cover off.
Set your toaster oven or big oven to about 150 degrees. Just a bit cooler than a hot car in PHX summer ...
Put a towel on a cookie sheet and rest your phone on the towel.
Put cookie sheet in oven for 2-3 hours. It should be very nice and dry afterwards.
Install battery and say "whew"!!!

:)

Sgsheff

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Like previously said take the battery out and put the phone in rice. Once it's dry try to turn it on.

If your phone doesn't work after the rice trick you can still save your phone. I do this for customers almost everyday. Take apart your phone by taking out the screws then use something to go along the edge and take off the back casing. Next do what you need to do to disconnect and remove the motherboard from the phone (I haven't had to take apart my galaxy nexus thank goodness). Once you have the motherboard go get some rubbing alcohol. Make sure you get the 91% instead of the 70% because you want more alcohol and less water. Put your motherboard in a bowl or container with the alcohol so the board is submerged. Let it sit for a few hours or overnight. Once you take it out take a toothbrush and clean off any corrosion or anything that shouldn't be on the board. After doing this it's not a bad idea to put it back into the alcohol and let it sit for more time. Take it out let it dry and check again for any corrosion or anything else on the board and if so clean it off with the brush. After this put your phone back together and I can pretty much guarantee that it will work if it didn't before.

crankyd00d

May 21, 2011
Visit site
My wife is famous for dunking her phone in the loo and getting me to fix it...

As others stated, pull the battery right away!!!
Blot it dry with the back cover off.
Set your toaster oven or big oven to about 150 degrees. Just a bit cooler than a hot car in PHX summer ...
Put a towel on a cookie sheet and rest your phone on the towel.
Put cookie sheet in oven for 2-3 hours. It should be very nice and dry afterwards.
Install battery and say "whew"!!!

:)

Nice recipe LOL

tim242

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
The rice thing is not necessary. Take the battery out. Hold your phone in front of your car heat vent for 10 minutes. The hot air dries it completely out. This worked for me after dropping my Nexus in a toilet.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have had the phone for roughly 2 months, I traded my Razr to a friend for it. I don't have any type of insurance on it which is usually a no-brainer for me (even though I'm not typically careless with my phone). I guess the silver lining is that even it ends up not working, the water tabs aren't tripped which means I at least have a fighting chance of sneaking it by VZW/Samsung under warranty.

As much as it pains me to have to be without my phone, I think you're right. I'll probably just put it in rice and let science do its thing.

Good luck! I know how you feel, being without a phone... It's painful! But there are some very good suggestions here; so I'm sure your phone will be working soon! The oven/car vent/rice options sound good! :)

clarker07

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I had my phone in my jeans pocket this new years eve and without a lot of details it held up to some pretty hydrated urine really well. Woke up and used the car heat vent trick as well.

kingtheproducer

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Like previously said take the battery out and put the phone in rice. Once it's dry try to turn it on.

If your phone doesn't work after the rice trick you can still save your phone. I do this for customers almost everyday. Take apart your phone by taking out the screws then use something to go along the edge and take off the back casing. Next do what you need to do to disconnect and remove the motherboard from the phone (I haven't had to take apart my galaxy nexus thank goodness). Once you have the motherboard go get some rubbing alcohol. Make sure you get the 91% instead of the 70% because you want more alcohol and less water. Put your motherboard in a bowl or container with the alcohol so the board is submerged. Let it sit for a few hours or overnight. Once you take it out take a toothbrush and clean off any corrosion or anything that shouldn't be on the board. After doing this it's not a bad idea to put it back into the alcohol and let it sit for more time. Take it out let it dry and check again for any corrosion or anything else on the board and if so clean it off with the brush. After this put your phone back together and I can pretty much guarantee that it will work if it didn't before.

I will be trying your method sir! I hope everything goes well. Right now, if I insert my battery in the phone, my torch automatically turns on, and i'll get a dim millisecond worth of the the white "Google" with the unlocked lock on the screen. I feel with that, there is SOME hope!!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance